Page 80 of 130 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast

Thread: Hex sued by MTG

Rock League Champion
    Looks like a wotc employee is among us
    Austrian Kickstarter & Slacker Backer | IGN: Cernz

-=] Dont mess with the bull, you gonna get the horn [=-

lol, I'm not, sorry if I'm getting too testy, I was going to wait until after we got an official response, but I was getting pissed off at how much magic was getting demonized. It could very well be that all of WotC's deals were so bad for crypt that they couldn't viably accept any of them and figured going to court would be better. But right now it feels like crypt was deceptive. There's no way this was a surprise to them.

Quote Originally Posted by FeelNFine View Post
    Have you heard of Watch It Played? They did an episode on Marvel Dice Masters, and I'd describe it as a mash up of Magic and Quariors. It may use dice, but the stats and combat resolution are very much Magic.

If by innovation you mean changing the rules, than aside from minor tweaks (most notably to the Legend Rule) it hasn't changed that much, but each set has played differently enough to keep 12 million players as of 2013 (According to wizards in the official complaint: http://www.scribd.com/doc/224144304/...tainment-et-al)

And Axle, the easier way would be to use a digital client, but printing proxies is something I can actually do. And that's why most magic players have a lot of dice on them, because Magic cards can create 120 tokens easily (infinite tokens too.) Sure, it could get cluttered in real life with emlems and tokens and dice, but so do regular Magic match ups. And sure, Wizards wouldn't print an efffect like the one on Ancestors Chosen because it'd be so easy to cheat with it, but my point is is that you could do it, because the rules and mechanics are the same.
    Really stretching here. Who's gonna want to play a physical card game with Hexs digital mechanics? No one. Is it technically possible? Yes. Can your everyday gamer do it? No. That's a big difference between the rules. IMO as an attorney, that may be enough to put Hex into the derivative work category rather than the "direct copy" category of copyright law. The patents are a bit different.

Quote Originally Posted by Makizushi View Post
    *cough* You may want to read up on recent EU legislation. Pirating movies, music and other copyrighted works is now very much an actionable offense.
    German Grundgesetz is higher than EU laws.

Quote Originally Posted by MuffLord4 View Post
    So the Germans rule the EU which in turn makes laws... that the Germans then don't obey? Am I getting this right?

My point is it's only possible because Hex is an MTG clone. Since Magic has digital titles as well, that's probably enough for them. And I wouldn't say thats a rules difference, just an additional rule. Not sure if that's enough for cryptizoic.

Quote Originally Posted by FeelNFine View Post
    My point is it's only possible because Hex is an MTG clone. Since Magic has digital titles as well, that's probably enough for them. And I wouldn't say thats a rules difference, just an additional rule. Not sure if that's enough for cryptizoic.
    It's not a clone in the strict sense, though. It's a clone in the sense that WoW "cloned" Everquest. Unfortunately for WotC, that's not enough for IP infringement. The question at the bottom of all this (patents disregarded) is: Is Hex innovative, or just a re-skin of Magic? If it's just a re-skin with some visual elements changed (See the Triple Town/Yeti Town case) then it infringes. However, we all know that there is a lot of innovation in Hex (re: PVE content, digital mechanics, dungeons, characters, etc.). You don't get to sue because a game copied your mechanics. It's just how the law works.

Quote Originally Posted by MuffLord4 View Post
    lol? no it isnt, EU laws always trump national laws, even in germany.

It's all a matter of perspective at this point before the courts decide. What FeelNFine calls a clone, I say is standing on the shoulders of giants to reach even higher.

If all Hex wanted to be was a cheap ripoff of Magic, they didn't have to go through anywhere near as much trouble as they have.
    Collector Tier - I am out of my mind spending this much on a Kickstarter. You better be good, Hex!

That's only true if WoW had the exact same clases, number of skills, party size ect.

Hex changed nothing. Did they add stuff? Sure, is that enough though?