Page 94 of 130 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast

Thread: Hex sued by MTG

I honestly hoped they didn't. Perhaps they planned for WoTC to get a bit aggressive, but during the KS they said they had done their due diligence, consulted legal representation, and felt they were totally in the clear. Especially after nearly a year from the KS, I can't expect them to have been thinking.... Well it's almost 11 months after the KS launch lets get out legal stuff together.
    Last edited by Gwaer; 05-18-2014 at 02:37 AM.
    ----
    http://i.imgur.com/I1MZpF8.png
    HexEnt is too long to type, They're HXE now.
    I am currently trading my unused GK code for a new Tesla Model S P85D
    Feel free to contact me for where you can have it shipped.

Rock League Champion
    Cory posted he had a hard week, which could be a sign that they underestimated this case... I hope i am wrong with this...
    Austrian Kickstarter & Slacker Backer | IGN: Cernz

-=] Dont mess with the bull, you gonna get the horn [=-

Master Theorycrafter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cernz View Post
    Cory posted he had a hard week, which could be a sign that they underestimated this case... I hope i am wrong with this...
    I would imagine that getting sued would make any week a hard week, especially if someone is trying to take your baby (Hex) away.

I love that people forgot a lot of details. Hex has gone through multiple iterations that even we know of, and I bet a lot more would be noted during discovery.

First: Hex had 25 starting health at one point. They lowered it for two reasons that I am aware of (balance, and time - because all games are timed, that 5 health would draw things out far too much.)

Second: a lot of cards have been through multiple designs, and balancing. Extinction was originally 5 cost. Persecute had a wildly different effect, which was changed, then the whole card was removed. Zombie plague was completely redesigned. Nelebrin Skirmisher was originally very different, and Jadiim and Eye of creation both went through nerfs. The fact that one or two parallels exist now means very little if they can show the design process for each card.

Last: we went through stack changes and all sorts of crazy crap during the alpha. I am fairly that wasn't the first time Hex went through some large mechanics changes, and again, discovery will show that.
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png

Any1 wanting this case to go through (read forums on the internet, especially boardgamegeek) is a capitalist in my opinion.

A broad patent like this going through would end gaming, competition is bad for companies but companies are not humans, the customers are, we as customers need competitions so that companies give their best to improve their product instead of just eliminating them.

WoTC in my opinion doesn't protect it's rights, it's being a complete dick and showing it's true greedy colors.

Why don't the DOTA creators come after devs making stuff like dawngate? If you strip down stuff to the core gameplay then it's the same. I could even compare LoL to smite and form a lawsuit like that.

Why doesn't blizzard go after every WoW-Clone that shares the same UI and mechanics? (I know WoW is derived of everquest but I never played EQ as extensively)

Why doesn't Karl Benz sue every other automobile for using the most intelligent design? (Steering wheel+Wheels+Motor in front+2 seats in front etc)

If everyone would've been a dick about their inventions then we'd still live in the stoneages.

Sure my examples are not accurate but in my opinion there's not even an argument that WOTC are all what's wrong with humanity in terms of investing into the future and I won't even accept any other argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Cacheelma View Post
    You can change the colors around. You can change the name of the colors around. One thing that they mentioned in the complaint that you can't deny though is the fact that there are "5" distinct "colors/factions/whatever" in both Hex and MTG.

It doesn't help either that these 5 individuals are also very thematically similar in both games.

Let's face it: a TCG game doesn't need to have 5 colors/factions/whatever with similar themes to MTG. Hearthstone doesn't. Duel of Champions doesn't. WoW TCG doesn't. Pokemon doesn't. Yu-gi-oh! doesn't. SolForge doesn't.
    for draft 5 + artefact is good, other game give more faction, it's good for the casu "give more", but very bad for balance and limited

If they are considering that the Hex kickstarter $2 million as damages because people could be confused that they didn't know the difference between a kickstarter project and mtgo that alone would be a hard sell.

In the case of MOBA genre actually blizzard could sue everyone due to how the mod writing worked in that you didn't own the rights to your creation blizzard did when you wrote a mod for thier games.... and blizzard actually has the money to sue everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenavire View Post
    Last: we went through stack changes and all sorts of crazy crap during the alpha. I am fairly that wasn't the first time Hex went through some large mechanics changes, and again, discovery will show that.
    I agree. IF they have the R&D trail to prove that MtG was their end state rather than their start state they are fine.

I think the stack changes are problematic for them (they started with MtG's, tried to change them during alpha, then went back to essentially a minor modification on the MtG model).

It is this thread (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=35558) and others like it that are the real problem.

Gamer points out that something isn't working the same way as it does in MtG (interpretation: it is a surprise and unusual for it to differ from MtG)
    Gamer is informed this is indeed the way it works.
    Gamer is helpfully informed that, in fact, this is the way it works in MtG due to recent rule changes.

I've been thinking on that thread since the suit was announced. I think it sums up the real problems that HEX faces here.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    It is this thread (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=35558) and others like it that are the real problem.

Gamer points out that something isn't working the same way as it does in MtG (interpretation: it is a surprise and unusual for it to differ from MtG)
    Gamer is informed this is indeed the way it works.
    Gamer is helpfully informed that, in fact, this is the way it works in MtG due to recent rule changes.

I've been thinking on that thread since the suit was announced. I think it sums up the real problems that HEX faces here.
    I am a king tier backer. But due to personal reasons I don't have much time to play, leave alone reading this forum. I had been impatiently waiting for PvE content until I heard about the legal action but.... guys...

We actually have had THAT kind of conversation here all along?! The conversation about how gameplay-related stuff were not working the way MtG does?!

Let me ask: Did they eventually changed these gameplay "issues" to be like MtG in the end?

If they did....

EDIT: Oh wait, I misread that. So actually the gameplay in question is identical to MtG but a guy who didn't know the new MtG rules were questioning whether this is correct. Still though... I'm not sure if this help our case... Are there any other convos like this?
    Last edited by Cacheelma; 05-18-2014 at 05:37 AM. Reason: Added things.