Page 2 of 75 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: [Discussion] Resource Screw

Quote Originally Posted by Kami View Post
    I don't understand what the purpose of all these 'change this, change that' in HEX is. .
    Kami it is not complicated. I'm surprised you don't understand but I will ELI5 for you....

Hasbro is trying to shut down HEX for copying Magic. The more difference between the two, the less chance that happens... there is still time in BETA to create more differences..... I hope that helps you understand.

Resource system is already different enough. It's also one of the best things hex has going. I very much like it, and would be extremely upset if it changes.
    ----
    http://i.imgur.com/I1MZpF8.png
    HexEnt is too long to type, They're HXE now.
    I am currently trading my unused GK code for a new Tesla Model S P85D
    Feel free to contact me for where you can have it shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by FreyOrvar View Post
    Kami it is not complicated. I'm surprised you don't understand but I will ELI5 for you....

Hasbro is trying to shut down HEX for copying Magic. The more difference between the two, the less chance that happens... there is still time in BETA to create more differences..... I hope that helps you understand.
    I understand that point. What I don't understand is then why did I back HEX if not for the way it already is? Changing things becomes essentially bait-and-switch to me.

I'm also of the opinion there is already significant differences between HEX and Magic that no changes are required. As I stated in another thread: "You know why I backed this game? Because it's not Magic. If I wanted to play Magic, I would play Magic. Full stop."

I understand that point. What I don't understand is then why did I back HEX if not for the way it already is? Changing things becomes essentially bait-and-switch to me.

I'm also of the opinion there is already significant differences between HEX and Magic that no changes are required. As I stated in another thread: "You know why I backed this game? Because it's not Magic. If I wanted to play Magic, I would play Magic. Full stop."
    I already explained it to you. Just because you back a game doesnt mean you think its perfect, its just the best alternative at the moment.

I think you're somehow backing games wrong.
    ----
    http://i.imgur.com/I1MZpF8.png
    HexEnt is too long to type, They're HXE now.
    I am currently trading my unused GK code for a new Tesla Model S P85D
    Feel free to contact me for where you can have it shipped.

The resource system is already sufficiently different from MTG, in my opinion.

You don't have lands at all. Instead you have mana thresholds, which is a completely difference concept from what magic uses.

The leas harmful change, IMO, would be pseudo random shuffling of resources into the deck. Say you have 60 cards, 20 resources...computer gives you 20 stacks of 2 cards and puts a resource in there somewhere.

This is what most people actually expect/want to happen with 'random'. IE the distribution is correct but you you don't know on which turn you'll get your resources. So there is uncertainty, but it operates within very specific parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    Instead you have mana thresholds
    There is no mana in Hex. While we all know you are using mana as a "short-hand" reference, I think it is important we develop community habits of using correct terminology when discussing Hex gameplay mechanics. This is particularly true since the two terms are different and do not represent the same thing/game mechanic-concept. (I.e. mana is generated by tapping lands each turn, whereas resources represent a finite pool that increase based on various card effects (shards, troops, or spells) that are played and which automatically refresh every turn.)

I don't understand what the purpose of all these 'change this, change that' in HEX is. Why did people back HEX if it wasn't the game they wanted to play? :/
    The PVE aspect excited me. I've never liked the resource system from the start. Sure there have been some improvements, but it's still very similar to Magic's system. The problem with that is that Magic is a very old game. It did a lot of things right, but in the years since, a lot of bright minds have come up with resources systems I've found far better than magic's.

Duel of Champions is a good example. You basically chose which of three resources to increase each turn. Or, you could forgo increasing a resource to draw a card, or use your chose champion's special ability. As I see it, there are pros and cons to having a resource system so heavily influence by magic.

Pros:

1. You can borrow a lot of the the theorycrafting and knowledge base from magic to make balancing easier.
    2. It's a familiar system to many players who enjoy the competitive PvP aspect of card games.

Cons:

1. Far more ways for randomness can mess up the game.
    2. While you may desperately need a resource, there's nothing terribly exciting about a resource card in your hand.

For me, the cons strongly outweigh the pros, and the pros only fit into WotC's arguments in their suit. You see, I don't much enjoy a game where either player is all but shut down thanks to bad luck. And there are easily too many ways that can happen.

1. Either player gets too many resources and no actual cards to play.
    2. Either player gets too few resources and can't play the cards they have.
    3. Either player gets a good balance of resources, but only high cost cards and basically loses before they even get a chance to start playing.
    4. Either player gets a good balance of cards, but only low cost cards, and can't keep up once the resources get higher.

Now if you're not actually drawing resources in your deck, you completely eliminate the first two of the four scenarios. You also greatly reduce the chance of the remaining two. If all the cards you drawn are non-resource, the odd of them all being low or high cost is significantly reduced.

It also gives more room for tactics and strategy within the game itself. More interesting cards with useful text give you more options for what to play on a given turn, which I feel improves that aspect of the game. If you've got four resources and one non-resource card you can play, there's not a lot of thought going into your turn.

I backed hex because it's resource system is what it is. The thresholds, and the random element of drawing the resources. If they ever went to a noob deck building friendly "2 decks" or "pseudo random" shuffling, I would not have backed. I love the difficulty and thought required to put a deck together knowing that you have to build smart with the resources.

I don't mind a change if it's needed (but it shouldn't) but not joking ideaa like that.
    Hex is a MMO-TCG
    *** There is 3 very important letters in this game's genre.
    Hex - Collector Tier Kickstarter Backer
    In-Game name: Ashmander

if anithing needs to be changed it will be the combat. its what is most similar to mtg. sadly that would aslo mean most cards need to be reevaluated and the entire game has to be rebalanced. its what i see as a worst case senario imo. it would take alot of time to fix but hopefully it wont come to that.