Page 47 of 75 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast
Results 461 to 470 of 749

Thread: [Discussion] Resource Screw

  1. #461
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatts View Post
    You will probably appreciate this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg
    Man, that video hits me right where I live (work).
    --ossuary

    "Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
    - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well

  2. #462
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwaer View Post
    It depends entirely on the deck and the curve.
    See, now this is a huge point. If your resource screw is biased towards your decks curve, you can say that one made a weak curve of cost cards in their deck. Thus my point I keep arguing is remade. You can mitigate a lot of resource screw with good deck building skills.
    Hex is a MMO-TCG
    *** There is 3 very important letters in this game's genre.
    Hex - Collector Tier Kickstarter Backer
    In-Game name: Ashmander

  3. #463
    Gigantisaur
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    1,025
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesbudt View Post
    I want everyone to answer a question for me:

    What do you consider Resource Screwed? Basically how many shards in what turn do you feel means not screw?

    Myself, i believe 4 by turn 6 is the border. Less is screw imo.
    It's never constant, even within the same deck.

    You can have a very balanced deck, but end up drawing 5-cost cards and only 4 resources. You can only draw 3 resources, but have an entire hand that can be played out effectively.

    I have definitely won games in a "resource starved" situation, where all of my 1-, 2- and 3-cost cards were enough to secure victory.
    http://raptr.com/badge/8dcf0b428b1b1...2e135d/fss.png
    Cryptozoic Champion: CZE Volunteer #517 - South Bay Area, California
    I'm on Twitch! Follow me at twitch.tv/hackychannel
    HexTCG Grand King Team Illusive will definitely be playing Hex... as <Norvic Santos>?

  4. #464
    So I only made it about 2 pages in before I started getting a headache. This is a perfect example of someone who didn't mulligan a hand he had no business keeping, and bitches when it doesn't work out. I found it mind numbingly sad that so many people agreed with him about it.
    Read all about Hex straight from the pros at HexTCGPro.com!
    Stream: www.twitch.tv/Disordia

  5. #465
    Quote Originally Posted by Disordia View Post
    So I only made it about 2 pages in before I started getting a headache. This is a perfect example of someone who didn't mulligan a hand he had no business keeping, and bitches when it doesn't work out. I found it mind numbingly sad that so many people agreed with him about it.
    Not how I would have put it but definitely how I feel :-)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatts View Post
    You will probably appreciate this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg
    lol, that was both scary and funny :-)

  6. #466
    Determined Zombie
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    66
    I work in a bookies and am sick of hearing this at work too. Although random does mean you have an equal chance of each card being drawn which means if you have multiple identical cards you have more of a chance. Random does not mean that your chances go up more than the 1 point deducted from last drawn card.

    so if you have 60 cards 4 Shroomkin your chances of drawing a shroomkin is 4/60 (1/15) when you draw a card that is not shroomkin it does not drastically increase your chances of getting a shroomkin next turn, instead the new probablity is 4/59 which is still pretty low.

    same with shards if you have 22 shards out of 60 you could (and someone will) draw 38 cards before drawing a shard. This is not Dota, you are not Axe, you do not have a 17% pseudo random chance to draw the card you want

  7. #467
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtlewing View Post
    The post I quoted posited that mulliganing a hand was equivalent to converting arbitrary cards into resource as both involve "throwing away cards", and I pointed out that they differ significantly in frequency (or at least they should. if you're mulligaining as often as you play resources you're doing something wrong).

    Is there something specific you disagree with in that statement?
    Well lets start with "converting arbitrary cards into resource" has a frequency of 0 since you can't do that in the game at the moment. To be fair I'm going to assume that you mean that players would more frequently choose to convert cards into resources than they would mulligan, in which case I would agree. This could actually be seen as both positive and negative:
    Positive : Players have more control over the outcome of the game.
    Negative : You haven't actually fixed the problem since the "rate of mulliganning" has actually increased.

    You pointed out that a player plays more resources on average than he mulligans per game, which has nothing to do with whether or not mulligans are an issue. I'm going to guess you meant something else, but I can't read your mind (at the moment OuO).
    Current active threads:
    None my threads keep dying for some reason.

  8. #468
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesbudt View Post
    I want everyone to answer a question for me:
    What do you consider Resource Screwed? Basically how many shards in what turn do you feel means not screw?
    Myself, i believe 4 by turn 6 is the border. Less is screw imo.

    Lost 2 drafts last night round 1 to resource screw
    Playing 18 shards both drafts
    1 six drop in both decks 4-5 five drops, rest were mostly 3 drops with some 1,2,4 scattered in.

    Game 1 had to mull to 5 do to back to back no resource hands (ya 18 shards, was not happy)
    5th hand had 2 sources kept that hand, did not see my 3rd till tun 6 (too late to turn around the tempo loss)
    Game 2 curved and won without contest (opponent also curved well)
    Game 3 kept a 3 resource hand never saw my 4th still held out for a long time

    Game 1 No contest ran over my opponent
    Game 2 kept a 3 resource hand got to turn 8 before I saw my 4th followed by 4 more back to back resources (clump of 5 in a row) This was however too late to turn around the game and I lost.
    Game 3 kept a 2 resource hand and five 3 drops on the draw, turn 6 still no 3rd land. This was slightly risky to keep the hand but being on the draw with 16 shards still in the deck it was a low risk but unfortunately luck was just not on my side last night.


    Sometimes RNG just hates you even with a good deck and smart plays. So I get why some people think there is a need to implement a more controlled method so that decks aren't purely random. The fact is these situation are very uncommon when you play and build correctly. Putting an artificial band aid on the random deck generation will still not fix bad mulligans, deck building, or play mistakes which cause the vast majority of losses.

  9. #469
    @negativeZer0

    The last draft I played, I made it to the final match and lost because of resource screw.

    My deck had 18 resources just like you.

    The first game I lost because I kept a hand with 3 resources (2 ruby 1 diamond), and never got another resource. I drew every double diamond threshold card in my deck (only 5 and I was weighted for more diamond than ruby resources) and couldn't play any. Oh well, it happens.

    BUT the second game. My opening hand has 1 resource in it. I mulligan down to three cards before I see another resource. So I was forced to keep a 2 resource, 1 6-drop hand (king gabriel). The game was basically an instant conceed.

    I haven't played a draft since. I understand RNG, but when this happens it's simply not fun. Not being able to do anything, especially in the final match of a draft, is frustrating.

  10. #470
    Quote Originally Posted by hexnaes View Post
    @negativeZer0

    The last draft I played, I made it to the final match and lost because of resource screw.

    My deck had 18 resources just like you.

    The first game I lost because I kept a hand with 3 resources (2 ruby 1 diamond), and never got another resource. I drew every double diamond threshold card in my deck (only 5 and I was weighted for more diamond than ruby resources) and couldn't play any. Oh well, it happens.

    BUT the second game. My opening hand has 1 resource in it. I mulligan down to three cards before I see another resource. So I was forced to keep a 2 resource, 1 6-drop hand (king gabriel). The game was basically an instant conceed.

    I haven't played a draft since. I understand RNG, but when this happens it's simply not fun. Not being able to do anything, especially in the final match of a draft, is frustrating.
    This has happened to me too. I have also gotten a Triumvirate on the 6th turn. It goes both ways.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •