Page 75 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2565737475

Thread: [Discussion] Resource Screw

Quote Originally Posted by hexnaes View Post
    While I think the anti-champ powers are a neat idea, I don't think it's the right fit. As mentioned before you have to be pretty punished before it starts working. It would be nice for fixing out larger curves (stuck at 4 and you need 5, you can hold off until then).

I think we need to fix the problem of not getting enough resources at the very start of the game. Not being able to play any cards for the first 5 turns is was more damaging psychologically to players than not hitting your 5th resource.

What if future sets simply buffed champion powers to promote putting more resources into your deck? If champion powers were good enough to jusitfy putting 28-30/60 resources in your deck, this would fix the edge case of not getting any resources. Deck building would shift to utilize the champion powers more than they do now.

Truth is, champion powers are neat, but they're severely under-powered. The devs wanted to mitigate resource screw by having champ powers, I just think they played it a little safe in the first set.
    Champ powers were intentionally made to be at the power level you currently see them at. If made significantly stronger so much so that they alter the way deckbuilding takes place then they start to overshadow the cards themselves. Flood would be more prevalent (although now mitigated) and Hex would turn into a game that focuses around champ powers and happens to also have cards in it.

Champs being where they are is pretty crucial to the design of the game in general.
    Visit Youtube: FunktionFails & Twitch: FunktionFails for hex based videos, articles and more.
    Find me on twitter @FunktionFails

Less fail, more funktion!

Quote Originally Posted by funktion View Post
    Champ powers were intentionally made to be at the power level you currently see them at. If made significantly stronger so much so that they alter the way deckbuilding takes place then they start to overshadow the cards themselves. Flood would be more prevalent (although now mitigated) and Hex would turn into a game that focuses around champ powers and happens to also have cards in it.

Champs being where they are is pretty crucial to the design of the game in general.
    I disagree. I think there's plenty of room for champ power level increase. Giving champs better abilities would open up a higher level strategy in deck building and game play.

The champs should be more than an afterthought. They wouldn't overshadow the cards themselves unless the power level was buffed to a point where you saw decks with only 60 resources in them . :P

Right now, you could remove the champ powers and noone would really care. Do you think that's intentional? I thought champ powers were presented as a core aspect of the game, and I'm a little let down they feel lackluster.

Quote Originally Posted by hexnaes View Post
    I disagree. I think there's plenty of room for champ power level increase. Giving champs better abilities would open up a higher level strategy in deck building and game play.

The champs should be more than an afterthought. They wouldn't overshadow the cards themselves unless the power level was buffed to a point where you saw decks with only 60 resources in them . :P

Right now, you could remove the champ powers and noone would really care. Do you think that's intentional? I thought champ powers were presented as a core aspect of the game, and I'm a little let down they feel lackluster.
    It depends on the ability really. Bertram is a crutch for dwarf decks. Venomscorn is one of the most popular and for good reason. Entire decks can be build around Drifting. Don't discount them all because a few are sub-par. Do I think Polonuis could be buffed? Sure. Tetzot? Possibly, give the elementals a keyword or something.

But do they all need a buff? Nope.
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png

The problem with Polonius is that he was balanced around the original version of Chlorophyllia, which created 2 Wild shards out of thin air and played them (which also made Wild Root Dancer insane). So it was necessary for him to cost 8 to not be ridiculously strong (2x Chloro and you could drop the Squirrel on turn 4 pretty consistently). But now, with a lot of the Wild ramp cards rebalanced, an 8 cost charge power is stupidly weak and slow. A lot of games, you'll never even see the power used at all, especially since most decks won't hit resources every turn. I think out of all the charge powers from the current batch, his is the most useless.
    --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
    - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well

The Transcended
    For those interested in doing some simulation work, I've made an Excel-based Hex simulator to test both standard shuffle and the Gaussian shuffle idea.

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthr...l=1#post380056

I really wish you would stop acting like there's any chance in hell the shuffler will ever change. Seeing a long-standing member of the community talk about changing it just encourages newer forum-goers to keep pushing for change that is never going to happen. Enough already.
    --ossuary

Master Theorycrafter
    Quote Originally Posted by Raykefire View Post
    Even after perusing the tread I find very little for the argument to no look into fixing or shifting the shard draw away from a game of chance and more to a game of skill. There are several relevant posters that have mad strong suggestions on how this could be achieved with minimal disruption, and the counter argument revolves around "It's the way it is too bad, you knew coming in."
    I disagree that there's tradeoff between chance and skill. Games with high chance can still take high skill (see poker). Games of low chance can take low skill (see tic tac toe.) The answer you are looking for is in this interview with Ben Stoll from around the 10 minute mark forward, the tl;dw is they feel that Hex's resource system leads to higher variance than the WoW TCG system, which they feel leads to a much more exciting/tense game in the mid game.

Cory and others from the Hex team have talked about this as well, making similar points. In another interview (sorry don't have the link) Cory mentioned trying out a system that let you hunt for resources in the top x of your pack (similar to a suggestion in this thread) that worked like a charge power, but they found it incredibly broken. They have spent years designing the mechanics of the game, trust that they've considered all the options and have gone with what they think is best for Hex.

The Transcended
    Quote Originally Posted by ossuary View Post
    I really wish you would stop acting like there's any chance in hell the shuffler will ever change. Seeing a long-standing member of the community talk about changing it just encourages newer forum-goers to keep pushing for change that is never going to happen. Enough already.
    My simulator will also work for just "playing" the game to test out decks when you can't get on the actual client.

My comment has nothing whatsoever to do with the simulator and everything to do with a call to change a locked in core system.
    --ossuary