Page 1 of 75 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: [Discussion] Resource Screw

[Discussion] Resource Screw

There have been lots of good ideas in various forum posts about changing the very random nature of mana screw that affects too many games and frustrates a lot of players.

The literal response has been, "Magic has done it this way for 20+ years, don't change it, some of us like it this way."

Now that the suit is a real thing, if CZE came out and included changing the mana system as some changes to help with the litigation, how would you feel about it? The game is still in beta, so even a change to the mana system is reasonable.

How would you feel abut it now?
    What changes to the mana system would you suggest?

A "land deck" and a "spell deck" to start your turn, draw from either? Or someone's idea about having the computer keep the land draws within 2 standard deviations of average? Or having the computer ensure you have x number of lands in your hand based on the number in your deck? etc.... I like the ideas that utilize the digital nature fo the HEX that you couldn't do in a paper version.

Basically my question is do you think changing the land/mana system in HEX is a good idea considering the lawsuit and has the lawsuit made you feel there needs to be more differences between magic and HEX.

I know "The charge power already is a different and the the threshold is different"

Quote Originally Posted by FreyOrvar View Post
    Basically my question is do you think changing the land/mana system in HEX is a good idea considering the lawsuit and has the lawsuit made you feel there needs to be more differences between magic and HEX.
    No.
    Amatyr, Grand King + Collector

The literal response has been, "Magic has done it this way for 20+ years, don't change it, some of us like it this way."
    I'm pretty sure you made that quote up, but otherwise whoever said it is ignorant. The system was chosen because it's an optimal fun for the design space CZE were looking for.

A "land deck" and a "spell deck" to start your turn, draw from either? Or someone's idea about having the computer keep the land draws within 2 standard deviations of average? Or having the computer ensure you have x number of lands in your hand based on the number in your deck? etc.... I like the ideas that utilize the digital nature fo the HEX that you couldn't do in a paper version.
    The problem with all of these is it would fundamentally change the way Hex works i.e. the change would require the whole set to be scrapped and started over. As one example, the guaranteed resources means aggro/cheap decks would be favoured.

While the occasional mana screw/flood is not fun at the time, the overall randomness it creates does add significant fun to the game.

I wouldn't change anything with the current resource system. If the suit meant that the resource system needed to be modified, it would ruin a lot of the previous work. The man-hour cost to recover would probably kill the project anyway.

Yeah... no. sorry.

I don't understand what the purpose of all these 'change this, change that' in HEX is. Why did people back HEX if it wasn't the game they wanted to play? :/

To change the resource system (and it's already fundamentally different from Magic to begin with - significantly, even though subtle) would be to alter the entire way the game plays.

The lawsuit is a tactic - this is basically all or nothing at this point. To change anything directly in response to the lawsuit means they didn't think their vision was strong enough to survive and that also means it would no longer be the game we backed.

If this ended up being a key issue I think it would be more entertaining if they just renamed the resources to abstract concepts to distance them just a little further from colors.

Ruby - Essence/Shard of Passion
    Sapphire - Essence/Shard of Creativity
    Diamond -Essence/Shard of Law

I guess Wild and Blood still work with the lore.

current systeme is very good

I think HEX's resource system is (purposefully) different enough from Magic's already. If anything, change the colors. That seems to be one of the biggest issues that WotC hammers on in their suit. It would be strange to be casting "yellow", "purple" and "orange" spells, perhaps.

Then again, Magic also can't copyright the primary colors. I say it's fine as is.

Quote Originally Posted by Daparish81 View Post
    I think HEX's resource system is (purposefully) different enough from Magic's already. If anything, change the colors. That seems to be one of the biggest issues that WotC hammers on in their suit. It would be strange to be casting "yellow", "purple" and "orange" spells, perhaps.

Then again, Magic also can't copyright the primary colors. I say it's fine as is.
    The biggest problem is the art. At the moment, the art generally reflects the shard colours. Changing the art is expensive, however if they changed the colour and kept the art it would look really tacky.

I agree it's fine. The whole red = fire, green = nature, white = purity, purple = death, blue = mana; mapping is pretty standard, I doubt WOTC could win a claim to own that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kami View Post
    I don't understand what the purpose of all these 'change this, change that' in HEX is. Why did people back HEX if it wasn't the game they wanted to play? :/

To change the resource system (and it's already fundamentally different from Magic to begin with - significantly, even though subtle) would be to alter the entire way the game plays.

The lawsuit is a tactic - this is basically all or nothing at this point. To change anything directly in response to the lawsuit means they didn't think their vision was strong enough to survive and that also means it would no longer be the game we backed.
    You can still back a game and not think its perfect yano...

I would be in favor of reducing variance but not completely eliminating it.