Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choosing your champion's power

Choosing your champion's power

This request might seem silly or irrelevant but I would like to be able to pick a hero portrait and then choose a power from the pool of powers to go with him/her.

For instance, if I'm building a human inspiration deck I would like my hero to be human too. It only makes sense to me. However, it would be nice to have for instance Wyatt's power of drawing an extra card at 5 charges, but Wyatt is a dwarf and doesn't really fit thematically for me.

I was thinking along the lines of how we would get to choose our race and class for the PvE portion only for PvP there wouldn't be any leveling.

Gigantisaur
    Think of how confusing and deceptive that would be to your opponent...

Quote Originally Posted by MatWith1T View Post
    Think of how confusing and deceptive that would be to your opponent...
    Except they just hover over your champion's ability to see what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kami View Post
    I usually do this anyways because I can't remember all the powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kami View Post
    I can usually take one look at the champ at the coinflip and run through all the likely decks it could be in a split second. Waiting to be ingame to find that out would be a little inconvenient, and confusing.

I see the disconnect, but PvE will scratch that itch. PvP doesn't really need this feature, but I can fully understand the request.

We don't see that many tribal decks anyway, and Dwarves and Shin'hare tend to use the same standard champ anyway. I think the Human and Orc champs just lack synergy with the deck styles - improve the synergy, and this complaint evaporates.
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png

Master Theorycrafter
    I like the idea. You could have a custom avatar and choose any of the powers you would like. Wouldnt be hard to just have a pop up announcing the power at beginning of match. You lose nothing while gaining player ownership.

Maybe what is not obvious is that these champions (and their powers) are part of the game outside of the PVP matches we're playing now. They are part of Entrath's storyline, and may or may not appear in different ways in other facets of the game. That's why, to me anyway, it wouldn't make sense to have their portraits/powers be some sort of mix-and-match.
    Hex: Shards of Fate KS || Producer

"The Magi of the Carloth highlands are renowned for their enthusiasm and generosity."
    "Speed is far more important than size when determining the power of a strike."
    "One needs no armor if both your mind and your fist are faster than your enemy's."

Quote Originally Posted by hex_colin View Post
    Maybe what is not obvious is that these champions (and their powers) are part of the game outside of the PVP matches we're playing now. They are part of Entrath's storyline, and may or may not appear in different ways in other facets of the game. That's why, to me anyway, it wouldn't make sense to have their portraits/powers be some sort of mix-and-match.
    You could still have the current champions with the abilities already attached or make a new hero and select an ability.

I'd be against this idea. As you play, you learn to quickly associate art with mechanical capabilities, so you can recognize cards and know what effect they have at a glance. Removing the association between a champion image and its power would undermine that and force the opponent to read it every game, slowing things down and introducing a chance to forget what the power is this game. That's not necessarily an enormous burden, but the reward is even more minor (just a little extra thematic fluff).

Yes, it's a bit silly that the best champions for an Inspire deck are orcs, but oh well.

Theme and story should serve the needs of the game, not the other way around.

Master Theorycrafter
    Quote Originally Posted by Thraeg View Post
    I'd be against this idea. As you play, you learn to quickly associate art with mechanical capabilities, so you can recognize cards and know what effect they have at a glance. Removing the association between a champion image and its power would undermine that and force the opponent to read it every game, slowing things down and introducing a chance to forget what the power is this game. That's not necessarily an enormous burden, but the reward is even more minor (just a little extra thematic fluff).

Yes, it's a bit silly that the best champions for an Inspire deck are orcs, but oh well.

Theme and story should serve the needs of the game, not the other way around.
    Yeah, this.

I know you can mouse over and read but I just know in the heat of the battle I'd forget that my opponent's Lionel Flynn with 3 charges is actually Poca with 3 charges and I die next turn to the champ power cause I tap out Being able to assess the board by just looking it over without having to mouse over stuff is pretty important especially with the timer ticking down