Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best/Worst rare cards

I'm surprised with all the hate being dished on Inferno.

Didn't like that card until I drafted with two of them and it was by far the most fun draft I have done in Hex. I've won more than a handful of rounds with Inferno and it's taken me all the way to win a tournament at least once. It's a great card to build into limited if you rare-drafted or simply wiffed on your draft picks as it just marginalizes skill based play and ups the ante with luck based wins.

God, that draft deck with two infernos - I was being trounced in game 3, round one; I had some life generation so was drawing out the game a bit and had a 8 and 3 counter on those two suckers with 4 life and my opponent had 19. Drew a sniper to get him down to 17 and we both added counters in our turns, I added one more and both infernos fired on him. No game since MTG waaaay back in the day has had me that much on the edge of my seat.

As a result, I'll never pass on an inferno - even if it makes me lose (as it did yesterday), why deny myself the fun of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Vorsa View Post
    Blood = Hideous Conversion
    Useful only for those times you absolutely need to sacrifice an army for Life Siphons. I have 8 of these.
    I know that feeling...
    I have 6 of Eldon's Distress Signal... also a nice amount of Tectonic Break... at least no Trial of Faith!
    hope we can craft this awful cards, even for PVE cards (Well, with crafting you can only craft PVE cards...)

Master Theorycrafter
    You guys are forgetting that a lot of the rares are made for constructed. Like Infernal Professor which has some rather obvious advantages: it thins your deck and speeds up your attack by making spells cheaper. It's perfect for any aggro deck that uses blood. For example: orc tribal decks.

Tectonic break really isn't that bad of a limited card. Wild troops are usually beefy, while lower toughness creatures tend to be all over the other colors. With wild having so little removal, even with this being luck based, it's heavily stacked towards wild. I have actually won a game with it. I just don't like the cost of it.

Quote Originally Posted by HyenaNipples View Post
    You guys are forgetting that a lot of the rares are made for constructed. Like Infernal Professor which has some rather obvious advantages: it thins your deck and speeds up your attack by making spells cheaper. It's perfect for any aggro deck that uses blood. For example: orc tribal decks.
    It does not make it cheaper... It costs to and makes the spell cheaper by 2... so it is no cost on one hand... but it is random, and if you don't want or can't use it this turn.. you just lose life... should not be rare at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Quasari View Post
    Tectonic break really isn't that bad of a limited card. Wild troops are usually beefy, while lower toughness creatures tend to be all over the other colors. With wild having so little removal, even with this being luck based, it's heavily stacked towards wild. I have actually won a game with it. I just don't like the cost of it.
    May be good in PVE.. if you are against a huge amount of 1/1 troops... I would not use it against an unknown opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by GreyWorm View Post
    It does not make it cheaper... It costs to and makes the spell cheaper by 2... so it is no cost on one hand... but it is random, and if you don't want or can't use it this turn.. you just lose life... should not be rare at least.
    Except that reduction is permanent. You can play a 3 cost card and an infernal prof on turn 5, get an EG, and then play the EG on turn 6.

Or you can fetch things like life siphon (which permanently adds free damage to the spell) extinction (for clinch moments) and tons more. It is a great card in the right deck. In fact, it is far better than a lot of other blood cards.

But anyway, I think this list needs to be separated into limited and constructed. No-one will have lists that can equally represent both.
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png

Infernal Professor
    I disagree that Comet Strike is one of the worst cards in the game, but it is certainly situational. The right deck against the right opponent Comet Strike can all but assure victory. Any time it would be used against a Wild/Blood deck you strip away all of their mana and threshhold and replace it with something they can't use. I've been pondering if Comet Strike, then a chained Trial of Faith would work. I guess it probably wouldn't and I'm not going to bash my face into the AI trying to make sure it doesn't, but if nothing else there are certainly exigent circumstances that make Comet Strike a viable last resort.

And I'm not sure why you have the hatred of Infernal Professor, that card has literally won me games I had no right to win. I'll admit that there's a strong element of luck involved, but a 4 cost Uzume when you've been stuck on 4 mana for six turns since turn 4 can certainly shift the direction of a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Clawdius View Post
    I disagree that Comet Strike is one of the worst cards in the game, but it is certainly situational. The right deck against the right opponent Comet Strike can all but assure victory. Any time it would be used against a Wild/Blood deck you strip away all of their mana and threshhold and replace it with something they can't use. I've been pondering if Comet Strike, then a chained Trial of Faith would work. I guess it probably wouldn't and I'm not going to bash my face into the AI trying to make sure it doesn't, but if nothing else there are certainly exigent circumstances that make Comet Strike a viable last resort.

And I'm not sure why you have the hatred of Infernal Professor, that card has literally won me games I had no right to win. I'll admit that there's a strong element of luck involved, but a 4 cost Uzume when you've been stuck on 4 mana for six turns since turn 4 can certainly shift the direction of a game.
    It doesn't remove anything, it only adds new thresholds and resources.
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png

Infernal Professor
    Bah, I guess I need to go get a cup of coffee, I was thinking of an older version of the card, and thinking it said each champion lost all threshhold rather than all charges.

Well, yeah the circumstances where you'd both have 10 mana and a need to play comet strike are far more esoteric. I suppose I can see where it could be considered one of the worst rares then.