Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Relentless Corruption vs Stone Skin

The Transcended
    Quote Originally Posted by AswanJaguar View Post
    If it were the champion, it would read "the deck of target opposing champion."
    And if it were the deck it would read "target deck of an opposing champion". There are lots of ways to word it, some obviously more clear than others.

The current wording is not at all clear.

EDIT:
    Also note that when choosing a target, you click on the champion, NOT the deck.
    Last edited by Yoss; 08-20-2014 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoss View Post
    EDIT:
    That's UI, not underlying functionality. There are currently ZERO elements of the UI that involve selecting a deck. That will most likely be remedied in the future when the UI is updated to final version. As it stands, in closed beta, there's no need for that kind of thing (and remember, 95% of these UI elements have been around since early alpha).

I agree that the wording could be misinterpreted, but AswanJaguar's analysis of the grammatical breakdown is entirely correct. Grammatically, it is target (qualifier) (object).

The object (the deck) is the key piece of the phrase. If I tell you I am aiming my gun at Bob's scarecrow, you don't think I'm about to shoot Bob in the face (unless I'm Dick Cheney), you understand that the object in my sights is a scarecrow, that belongs to Bob. This is no different.
    --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
    - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well

EDIT:
    I was going to post this earlier. This to me is the most compelling reason. Only staff can answer what the cards intention is, but as it is currently implemented, you target the champion, not the deck.

It's not compelling, because it's just leftover alpha UI. They never designed a game function to target the deck, because it wasn't strictly speaking necessary at the time. See above.

I agree it could be clarified, but it's not "wrong." The RC mechanic (in terms of functionality, not UI) doesn't affect or target a player, it affects their deck.
    --ossuary

EDIT:
    Actually, this isnt correct now that I have tried.

You dont actually choose a target at all. You just click the card and it is played. No target choosing.

(However for the sapphire escalation card which reads quite similarly, you do in fact have to choose the target champion)

The Transcended
    Quote Originally Posted by Xexist View Post
    Actually, this isnt correct now that I have tried.

You dont actually choose a target at all. You just click the card and it is played. No target choosing.

(However for the sapphire escalation card which reads quite similarly, you do in fact have to choose the target champion)
    In that case, the word "target" shouldn't be on the card.

In that case, the word "target" shouldn't be on the card.
    Agreed brother

There are too many of these one-off situations in the game, making it unintuitive to play. You have to know how a lot of cards function by heart to avoid mistakes.

There's no way a player could navigate through the ruleset knowing exactly how each card behaves before playing it at least once. That's an aspect of design that should be improved in Hex.

Guys grammatically speaking the Target of the spell is still a champion.
    I already explained that "...target champion's deck" = "the deck of target champion", thus the target is still the champion.
    The misleading "Bob's scarecrow" example is wrong because in this case Bob=target champion.
    Relentless corruption AFFECTS (take 1 card from) the deck of TARGET CHAMPION. The wording is PERFECTLY clear and IT IS A BUG.
    Also it's a bug that when you play Relentless corruption you don't get to choose the target, and also Relentless Corruption has another bug related with the way it escalates when other escalation cards have been played in the game.
    Long story short, re-code from scratch Relentless Corruption...

Your understanding of grammar is incorrect.
    --ossuary