Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Real Solutions to Resource Flood/Screw

Real Solutions to Resource Flood/Screw

UPDATE: Added a few new card suggestions below.

No, this is not one of those threads.

This is a constructive way to approach the crisis of resource management using the approved system already in place: cards. As a digital game there is an unprecedented flexibility in approaching resource issues that traditional TCG's never possessed. Listed below I'll provide suggestions on how to address the resource crisis, but before I do so, I'd like to explain why I believe the existence of these issues helps create a fuller, more dynamic game.

TCG's are unique in that you combat more than just your opponent, but the "game" as well. We see this in the ruleset imposed on deck creation; we can only have up to 4 of one card, we have to account for resources, we must have at least 60 (40 for draft) cards in a deck. Each rule imposes a different crisis for the player to overcome in order to achieve optimal play. The limit of 4 cards forces players to find complimentary cards and combos; rather than just stacking a deck with 25 Countermagic's and 10 Burn to the Ground's, a player has to incorporate other cards into their deck, making a more rounded experience.

The minimum card limit imposes a crisis of unreliability, since you have to play with 60 cards, you can't guarantee you'll pull your turn 5 win condition by turn 5 every game. This creates an unpredictable game, filled with different choices and circumstances every time you play. Likewise, having shards as cards creates a resource crisis; sometimes you draw too many, sometimes you draw too few. This reality creates tension both when deciding how to build your deck, when deciding whether to keep your hand or to mulligan, and whenever you draw your card each turn, hoping you either do or don't draw that resource that you desperately do or don't need.

This is important, together these rules create drama, risk and reward, it tells the story of near victories and close losses that make this game fun. Stripping away any of these components lessens the dynamic punch of the game.

So let's not do that. Resource flood/screw is good, it's healthy. But that said, there are creative ways where this can be handled, rebalancing the total risk at hand. Here are my card suggestions (feel free to include your own, it people like them, I'll add them to this list, giving credit where it's due of course):

Shard Painter
    1 Cost, Artifact Troop - Robot, 1/1
    When Shard Painter comes into play, you may convert the threshold type of a resource card in your hand to any other threshold.

Bottled Lightning
    0 Cost, Artifact
    When you play Bottled Lightning, your champion loses two health and loses one charge. Gain one threshold of your choice. draw a card.

Wild Shard Golem
    3 Cost, Artifact Troop - Construct, 2/2
    Crush. Sacrifice this troop: Gain one Wild threshold. If this troop was drawn in your opening hand, you may convert it into a Wild Shard.

(One golem for each shard, but instead of Crush, Diamond - Steadfast, Ruby - Speed, Blood - Rage, Sapphire - Draw a card and discard a card.)

EDIT 1:
    After reading through the comments I saw a few of you wanting more solutions to resource flood/screw specifically, rather than color fixing. I came up with these suggestions with that in mind:

Dangerous Wish
    1 Cost, 1 Sapphire Threshold, Basic Action, Uncommon
    Choose Resource or Non-resource. Look through the top cards of your deck until you find the card type you've chosen, and then put it into your hand. Lose 1 life for each card revealed this way.

Wild Root Sage
    2 Cost, 1 Wild Threshold, Troop - Elf Cleric, 0/1. Rare
    Whenever a player puts a resource into play, look at the top card of your deck, you may choose to put it on the bottom of your deck.

Dire Measures
    2 Cost, 2 Ruby Threshold, Basic Action, Rare
    Discard your hand. For each resource card discarded this way, draw a random non-resource card, and for each non-resource card discarded this way, draw a random resource card.

These three new cards provide fixing at a cost, either in the form of lost life or a lost card. Wild Root Sage has little value other than free cantrip, though being in wild he could potentially get some +/+ love to make him a threat (especially from his dancinng pal). He might be a little strong, but I bet he could be tuned to work.
    End Edit

I'm not saying these cards are balanced, but they attempt to provide soft fixes to our resource flood/screw crisis, without completely throwing the system out the window. Please let me know your thoughts, if you'd like, I'd be happy to post more suggestions.

Thanks!!
    Last edited by oncewasblind; 07-28-2014 at 11:27 AM.

I came in skeptical, but left very pleased.

your preface was fantastic. I like the idea of the shard golems a lot.
    Last edited by Gwaer; 07-23-2014 at 12:22 PM.
    ----
    http://i.imgur.com/I1MZpF8.png
    HexEnt is too long to type, They're HXE now.
    I am currently trading my unused GK code for a new Tesla Model S P85D
    Feel free to contact me for where you can have it shipped.

First of all, thanks for making a constructive thread that doesn't attempt to redefine the game.

However, two of your three cards help with threshold, but that doesn't really help with flood/screw.
    ------A signature goes here-----

Banned
    Great suggestions. Most constructive post on this subject I've seen in the past year.

Just give us a one-shot secondary Champion-Ability (that every Champ has) which reads: "Choose a Basic Shard from your Deck and out it on top of your Deck."

DONE!

Since hex_colin is probably busy in meatspace, allow me to unconvincingly fill in for him:

Oh, I like those, I wonder if we'll see something like them soon.

/end scene

In a previous discussion about resources, I suggested a cycle of 1 drop troops that could be converted into resources but didn't follow through with a design. The shard golems seem to be a reasonable fulfillment of that idea.
    Last edited by AswanJaguar; 07-24-2014 at 03:18 PM.

Master Theorycrafter
    Quote Originally Posted by kickinhead View Post
    Just give us a one-shot secondary Champion-Ability (that every Champ has) which reads: "Choose a Basic Shard from your Deck and out it on top of your Deck."

DONE!
    honestly, guaranteeing a 5th shard on turn 5 could be a bit...wow. I'm thinking the lack of this inclusion is better for the health of the game as the randomness of such an effect is limited, and incredibly powerful given the correct circumstances. What the op is suggesting has a similar effect, but comes from the deck. Something you would have to make a real sacrifice to have. The sacrifice of a slot(or 4, or 8) in your 60. At this point, it becomes a choice to use such an ability if it is present, and the choice is made when you craft your deck. Don't draw the fix in game 1, but have enough shards? All good. Draw the fix, thus giving you shards in game 2? All good. But what if you drew something that made a board impact instead? Where does the pendulum swing on the balance between power and consistency. Honestly, even if I lose more to screw or flood, I'd rather have the power more often than not. but it would be a personal choice. Not something that feels just tacked on.

honestly, I like where the OP is going. it can be balanced, it can be fun, and it can give us new interactions that move the game forward. But, it could also be rather pointless to a good majority of games. If balanced well, it could diversify how deck creation is considered. As long as it isn't used simply as a crutch(like the one shot champ ability), and is factored in before the game ever starts(ie, in deckbuilding) I'd say it sounds pretty decent.
    Last edited by Ebynfel; 07-23-2014 at 01:01 PM.
    Pro Player

Master Theorycrafter

DONE!
    In an interview from last year (sorry no link, I am no Shadowelf) Cory talked about how he had a similar idea (although it would just pull one from the top 5 cards.) They tested it out and found it to be horribly broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebynfel View Post
    honestly, guaranteeing a 5th shard on turn 5 could be a bit...wow. I'm thinking the lack of this inclusion is better for the health of the game as the randomness of such an effect is limited, and incredibly powerful given the correct circumstances. What the op is suggesting has a similar effect, but comes from the deck. Something you would have to make a real sacrifice to have. The sacrifice of a slot(or 4, or 8) in your 60. At this point, it becomes a choice to use such an ability if it is present, and the choice is made when you craft your deck. Don't draw the fix in game 1, but have enough shards? All good. Draw the fix, thus giving you shards in game 2? All good. But what if you drew something that made a board impact instead? Where does the pendulum swing on the balance between power and consistency. Honestly, even if I lose more to screw or flood, I'd rather have the power more often than not. but it would be a personal choice. Not something that feels just tacked on.

honestly, I like where the OP is going. it can be balanced, it can be fun, and it can give us new interactions that move the game forward. But, it could also be rather pointless to a good majority of games. If balanced well, it could diversify how deck creation is considered. As long as it isn't used simply as a crutch(like the one shot champ ability), and is factored in before the game ever starts(ie, in deckbuilding) I'd say it sounds pretty decent.
    YOu do make a sacrifice - the chance of drawing a card that isn't a shard and the risk of a shard being there anyways and then drawing more shards than you'd maybe like. If this isn't enough sacrifice, it could also cost some Charges.

My point is, that in MtG, you had tons of Lands and cards that gave you the right amount of ressources from any color and there was still a Problem with Land-screw/flood. I mean: it's even easier in Hex with the Threshhold instead of tapping the exact amount of Lands like in MtG.

I run a Deck with 25 Lands, 4 Shards of Fate and 4 Adaptation Devices and I still loose certain games simply by being Shard-screwed. Those Cards suggsted by the OP don't do anything to the amount of Shards you have, only the Threshhold and that's IMHO sth. you can get around with smart Deckbuilding. But not drawing any shard is sth. different.

@Hatts: I find it way more broken if games can simply be decided because of Luck when there were so many possible ways of fixing it. And I really can't imagine how my suggestion is broken in any way. If it is - just add a drawback; it's as simple as that.

I could literally come up with 10 different ways of fixing the Problem of drawing too few Shards off the Top of my Head, it's so easy:

- When drawing your opening hand, you may choose to change one card to a random shard instead of going for a mulligan. You cannot do this if you've already mulliganed.

- secondary Champ-ability, 2 Charges: Put a random Basic Shard on Top of your Library

- secondary Champ-ability, One-Shot: Put a random (or chosen) Basic Shard on Top of your Library + Any of the following Drawbacks: [You can't gain a Charge from this Shard/You loose 2 Life/Pay 1 (or 2) ressources/ You can't play any cards other than Basic Shards next turn/The Shard doesn't give you a Threshhold......whatever]

- A Champion that had the ability for 2 Charges "Put a random Basic Shard on Top of your Library" but no other Champion-ability, but could be used without the need for a certain threshhold.

Yes, you would need to test them and maybe some would turn out to be too good, but it would be so easy to tweak them and make them balanced.
    Last edited by kickinhead; 07-23-2014 at 01:37 PM.

DONE!
    Until your opponent makes you shuffle your deck lol,

Anywho,,,, great main post. We need more constructive criticism, which actually presents a solution to the problem instead of what we have seen so far.
    Grand King Netdecker Extraordinaire Collector