Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: HEX Update – Free Tournament This Saturday

Clear progress has been made since the last one, however, the only way any game company gets ready for a large influx of users is stress testing. Like it or not that's exactly what we just did. The data will bear out an issue they need to fix, they'll fix it and do it again until it works with the highest load possible. This isn't a process you can imitate easily other than getting the numbers, which is why launches go so poorly most of the time. Diablo, wow, pretty much any game launch ever has had issues with people logging on, or being online concurrently, even though that is as you say the most basic and necessary of all things online gaming related. Clearly you've not been a part of many betas or game launches in general, which is fine, but you shouldn't make blanket assertions about things you don't understand.
    ----
    http://i.imgur.com/I1MZpF8.png
    HexEnt is too long to type, They're HXE now.
    I am currently trading my unused GK code for a new Tesla Model S P85D
    Feel free to contact me for where you can have it shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by whytw0kane View Post
    Sane folk would assume that within the last six weeks since the last one and considering the amount of money they have made via kickstarter and whatever sales, they would be some progress from the last free "tournament" on something this basic.

I dont think anyones being unreasonable expecting something so extremely basic to work this far into a paid beta, especially when they are constantly talking about adding x and y feature, it comes across as running before you can walk, the basics should be functional long before any bells whistles or money making 2nd sets are even being talked about let alone released.
    You must have many years of game development experience to make such absolute affirmations...

Also... the auction House? It works. Can it be improved? Of course. Is it in it's final form? No.

The one thing this forum has more than ''lawyers'' when a new law suit update is up, is Game Designer Genius that just know so perfectly how all this stuff works and how development works.

Hex must attract this fantastic niche of Lawyers and Game designers. Would never imagine so many flocking to this game like this....

Gigantisaur
    Quote Originally Posted by OP_Kyle View Post
    Updated:
    We crashed the tournament server multiple times, so the tournaments are once again a no-go.

We once again made a list of everyone online between 11:00am PDT and 1:00pm PDT (tournament start time was 12:00 PDT) to give you free tournament entires for your time today:

3x Event Tickets (free entries) into a constructed queue
    1x Event Ticket (free entry) into a scheduled constructed queue

DataDragon added these to your accounts. You may need to re-log to see them in your stash.
    What are we supposed to do if even after multiple re-logs these don't appear in our inventory?
    Dungeon Crawler / Collector / Raid Leader

Keep Hibbernathy - Member of The Unnamed Council - the Hex TCG PvE Guild @HexTUC
    Running: TUC Arena of Myth Challenge Can you do a perfect 20-0 run with every single champion? Working on #32

Correct me if I'm wrong - This was the original post, there is no mention of stress testing.
    Read the last sentence you posted:

"So, come help us out and win some prizes too. Thanks!"
    You thought you were helping them just give free shit away?

Sane folk would assume
    Sane folks don't assume anything with this game at this point, it makes an ass out of u n me .

that within the last six weeks since the last one
    Withing last six weeks they've been busy at game conventions, spoiling and working on set 2, giving us a peek at PvE, implementing tutorial, making transition to new UI and system etc..

and considering the amount of money they have made via kickstarter
    That's been eaten up already by art and fixed costs

and whatever sales,
    Most players in are KS backers who're still mostly using their free packs.

and whatever sales,they would be some progress from the last free "tournament"
    There was progress, less blue swirly action.

on something this basic.
    Having a 500+ player simultaneous tournament is 'basic'? Are there many digital TCGs who're doing this, let alone even attempting to do so?

I dont think anyones being unreasonable
    The amount of exaggerations in your post, which Im trying to point out one by one, suggests otherwise.

expecting something so extremely basic
    Again, 'extremely basic' is an extremely wrong way to describe something even Hex's competitor who has 10+ years of experience in this domain has been unable to fully work out.

to work this far into a paid beta,
    You didn't pay for your beta access and you didn't pay for access to this tournament, so dont make it sound like you were financially affected in any way shape or form.

especially when they are constantly talking about adding x and y feature,
    Actually the community keeps whining about them not talking enough about x and y features but seems you're new around here so I'll let that pass.

it comes across as running before you can walk,
    They're testing (walking) before open beta (running), so don't understand your analogy.

the basics should be functional long before any bells whistles or
    The basics (8 man tournaments, and recently 128 mans) have been working, this was the next step in their testing.

money making 2nd sets are even being talked about let alone released.
    Well yes, 2nd set and open beta won't be released till they hammer home large player stability (although I don't think 128+ player tourneys are even necessary at this point).

a tournament is the absolute basics of a game like this, it should be working by now, there is no excuse.
    Again, tourneys are working. You can go in right now and play one, it's scaling to 500+ players that seems to the problem.

Disagree with this, this is more absolute basic stuff that hasnt been implemented, If I am looking for a card via bidding and not buyout and I want to make a deck with it, I dont know if I will have to wait 12 mins or 12 hours to actually get that card?
    While I don't agree with the minimum notifier on auctions being 12 hours (and also despise the minimum 30c floor price set on rares while Im at it) these are for the most part small inconveniences and by no means break any functionality of the AH. Most people list their cards with buyouts anyways so I doubt you're really having problems acquiring cards on AH due to this.

that is simply a laughable way of doing things and in no way viable, another basic feature that any form of auction ever created anywhere online already has that hex seems to have not bothered with is a simple relist button.
    What's laughable is that you're trying to ridicule the game's auction house comparing it to 'other games' but the fact of the matter is that the biggest competitor in the field is still using a SPAM shouting chat box and bot infested listings page to get the same thing done. Maybe take a moment to appreciate this first ever TCG AH (as far as I know) instead of blowing little inconveniences out of proportion.

The actul game itself is great, but everything surrounding it seems to be half assed at the moment with the most simple basic things not being implemented or working and progress on the whole is very very slow.
    Finally something I can understand. Your frustration is understandable and something we've all felt at one point or another but channeling that through level headed constructive criticism is what I would advise instead of focusing on the wrong parts as most of your post seems to have been about.

Gwaer are you comparing Diablo's servers not handling the load to this tournament? Really? You are talking about hundreds of thousands if not million plus players to not even 500? We won't even mention the issue in D3 wasn't with the game servers but the authentication servers. Once you got in, the game played just fine.

I remember the same people saying some of the same stuff in alpha. "Just wait till beta things will be better"... now it is beta and the quote has changed to "Just wait it is only beta they need to test these things come back after release has been out a few months"...

Eventually perception has to catch up to reality.

As for the guy who said the

Gigantisaur
    Quote Originally Posted by issowi View Post
    I remember the same people saying some of the same stuff in alpha. "Just wait till beta things will be better"
    Things are better then they were in Alpha, a lot better.

Ignorance truely is bliss.
    http://sigs.enjin.com/sig/enjin-4368...18944-blue.png

Grand King that loves collecting things twice because he thinks he's a pro player.

Gwaer are you comparing Diablo's servers not handling the load to this tournament? Really? You are talking about hundreds of thousands if not million plus players to not even 500? We won't even mention the issue in D3 wasn't with the game servers but the authentication servers. Once you got in, the game played just fine.

I remember the same people saying some of the same stuff in alpha. "Just wait till beta things will be better"... now it is beta and the quote has changed to "Just wait it is only beta they need to test these things come back after release has been out a few months"...

Eventually perception has to catch up to reality.

As for the guy who said the
    WoW's MOP beta was unplayable. Many games fail on day 1 to have a decent play experience - practically zero have a flawless day one. Even more recent betas (lets use TES:Online for this example) had a terrible 'open beta' weekend experiences, with quests simply not working, horrific lag, and features simply not implemented.

And let me remind you that not even WoW, long standing MMO with hundreds of upgrades, can handle zones with hundreds of people crammed into them. Raids only handle 25 people these days, down from 40 - the biggest PvP event is 40 vs 40, IIRC. They have NEVER tried 500 in a single instanced zone.

Just chill out and understand that 500+ people trying to connect to the same exact thing, all at once, with no buffers, can cause a lot of havoc, even for the big names in gaming
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png

The raid sizes went down for gameplay design not because they couldn't handle 40 players in the zone. GW2 has WvWvW that has 200 players per world (600 players total). PS2 servers hold about 2500 or so they stated. So yes you can handle the loads and it has been done before.

The raid sizes went down for gameplay design not because they couldn't handle 40 players in the zone. GW2 has WvWvW that has 200 players per world (600 players total). PS2 servers hold about 2500 or so they stated. So yes you can handle the loads and it has been done before.
    I never said it couldn't be done, I said it wasn't easy - and did any of those work flawlessly in beta? I doubt it.
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png

Gigantisaur
    Please do not use GW2's PvP as a source of how the servers should run. I played during those wonderful times when my opponent would appear and then disappear...and then reappear and then either he or I would suddenly die. Large group verse group combat involved guessing where the opponent was or would be on the field as you laid down AoE attacks in clusters. The term for the problem involved "Culling" which had something to do with using a patchwork of smaller areas to combine into a larger area. I will say that it worked pretty well for the PvE experience. PRX was a fun guild to run with while it lasted.

I am looking forward to when they get this all worked out. As always though, it takes time.
    The art work for opening the chest is very nice.