Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DC Promos Rant

Any idea when starfire will be for sale again at bgg? Ive been checking everyday. I was fooled once a couple weeks ago when it said she was in stock but clicking the link brought me to felix faust instead.

I don't understand this demand for been able to buy promos? The whole point of a promo item its a cool little exclusive thing you get, with first printings or pre-orders etc, that's not available in general sale.

I think the demand is in response to the frustration at seeing eBay auctions where certain sellers have dozens of a single promo, which is meant to promote the game to prospective customers, that are instead sold for inflated prices. I've seen one seller from the Florida area sold around fifty Felix Faust promo cards for about $20 each last year. Once the cards became more readily available from Cryptozoic, the prices online dropped by more than half.

I'm all for promos, but it would make sense to perhaps consider a promo a timed release of sorts that become readily available to the masses once a set period of time passes, so that people who are not located near game shops that support the game can still enjoy the cards. This idea would be more for cards like Felix Faust as opposed to the first print character card promos, which can be obtained by just purchasing the game when it's initially released.

Quote Originally Posted by kainbloodheart View Post
    I don't understand this demand for been able to buy promos? The whole point of a promo item its a cool little exclusive thing you get, with first printings or pre-orders etc, that's not available in general sale.
    It's a direct result of Not-So-Friendly Local Game Stores (NSFLGS) requesting promos only to turn around and sell them at inflated prices. There was a listing on eBay last year for the Felix Faust promo card and it was at $20. If you looked at the seller info for the listing, it was for a shop located in Florida and the listing showed over 25 available. OVER 25 of the promo available. The Felix Faust promo was given away FOR FREE in stacks of 12 to any FLGS looking to hold a DC deck builder organized play event as a prize for participants.

12 free cards per kit sold at $20 a pop is $240 (minus eBay fees and shipping) and a big **** up to customers. This is why the promos are in demand for sale and an issue for Cryptozoic. And it's already happening for the new "Gotham City Docks" promo for the new Crisis Expansion organized play kit.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...Docks&_sacat=0

Look at the first listing. $15 for one card and more than 10 available.
    Last edited by DimeDrl; 12-17-2014 at 08:17 PM.

Yep, like I stated in my original post; I know for a fact that a game store owner in Florida sold at least 50 Felix Faust promo cards for $20 each, which equals $1,000.00 before paying eBay fees. Just ridiculous and a shame for someone to exploit the process and ruin it for everyone else by marking the card up to a ridiculous price.

Quote Originally Posted by Thegregwitul View Post
    Yep, like I stated in my original post; I know for a fact that a game store owner in Florida sold at least 50 Felix Faust promo cards for $20 each, which equals $1,000.00 before paying eBay fees. Just ridiculous and a shame for someone to exploit the process and ruin it for everyone else by marking the card up to a ridiculous price.
    I agree, I think there needs to be a system in place to prevent that from happening.

PS. I got my Gotham Docks for $8 when others were $20 @ the time