Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Awesome features in other TCGs (UI, general stuff)

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Awesome features in other TCGs (UI, general stuff)

    Hi all,

    I'm new here, learnt about Hex just a few days ago. It looks great and it's a pity that I'm far too late to back it on Kickstarter. It didn't take long for me to buy the first platinum. That said, I tried different TCGs in the last weeks and while they all have their strengths and weaknesses, some basic stuff when it comes to UI and general features could be useful in Hex as well:

    Scrolls has a great export/import mechanism for decks which makes sharing and trying decks smooth and easy without comparing card lists, tabbing in and out of the game and lots of clicks: You can export a given deck with just a few clicks in a text format, share it with others and they can recreate the deck by importing your deck code ingame. (You need the cards of course - if you lack cards, the game will tell you how many of which are missing.)

    In Infinity Wars, a few pre-defined decks are available at any point of time. Unless I'm mistaken, each deck is available for a week and then swapped out for another one. You can't change these decks or use the cards to do anything else, but you can play with them without actually having the cards in your possession*. The decks are of course far from being T1, but they are solid and allow players to try out deck concepts which they might not try on their own - or lack too many cards just to try it once.

    Both features are probably nothing the hardcore crowd is waiting for, but they are beginner friendly and appealing to casual players. And there are a lot of those out there, myself included.

    * If that is a problem for HexEnt, usage could be restricted (like "not for PvE", "max x times" or whatever).

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by estab View Post
    Hi all,
    Scrolls has a great export/import mechanism for decks which makes sharing and trying decks smooth and easy without comparing card lists, tabbing in and out of the game and lots of clicks: You can export a given deck with just a few clicks in a text format, share it with others and they can recreate the deck by importing your deck code ingame. (You need the cards of course - if you lack cards, the game will tell you how many of which are missing.)
    I played scrolls quite a while ago, but never really got into it, mainly because of time constraints I suppose. Never realized this feature existed but it sounds cool. Not something that will make or break the game, but very neat. Could definately see myself using it. Specifically if you try to get new people on board and send them a bunch of cards together with a deck list for easier ramp into the game.
    _____________________________________

  3. #3
    The Transcended
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    7,860
    I support both ideas, though I would not give either of them very high priority.

    I added the export/import idea to the Features List:
    http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=35429
    Last edited by Yoss; 02-09-2015 at 01:51 PM.

  4. #4
    Master of Gifs
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Zophiria
    Posts
    2,728
    First off, welcome to Hex estab!

    I like the idea of the export/import mechanism for decks, even if it's just as simple as giving us a text box to copy a big string of data that we can paste elsewhere, and vice versa. Would be really nice to have for sites like the Hex TCG Browser. That being said, I'm pretty sure they do plan to give us API support at some point that would let sites like that interact with the data more directly, but I wouldn't expect an ETA on that feature any time soon.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by teddyclaw View Post
    I played scrolls quite a while ago, but never really got into it, mainly because of time constraints I suppose. Never realized this feature existed but it sounds cool. Not something that will make or break the game, but very neat. Could definately see myself using it. Specifically if you try to get new people on board and send them a bunch of cards together with a deck list for easier ramp into the game.
    Import/export was added at some point, not so long ago.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zophie View Post
    I like the idea of the export/import mechanism for decks, even if it's just as simple as giving us a text box to copy a big string of data that we can paste elsewhere, and vice versa. Would be really nice to have for sites like the Hex TCG Browser.
    Basically that's how it works in Scrolls: You use the clipboard to copy & paste deck code out or into your game. A deck e.g. looks like this:
    Code:
    {"deck":"Undead Decay - Conduit Madness","author":"Atmaz","types":[164,164,164,349,349,349,179,179,268,268,268,276,276,276,181,181,181,162,162,162,350,350,350,174,174,174,159,159,159,172,172,172,195,195,195,177,177,177,190,190,190,353,353,353,352,352,352,382,382,382]}

  6. #6
    Welcome to Hex, estab!

    You're not the first person to request an import/export feature. There are a couple of complications with how Hex manages cards that would make this feature potentially more complicated to develop than for most DTCGs, but I think it's something that a lot of people would like to see eventually.

    As for the pre-defined decks, you might be interested in some of the potential guild features that have been talked about. In particular, we hope there will be some sort of deck rental system, where players can lend out decks through the guild bank. I think a feature like this might be a good substitute for your suggestion.
    IGN: Magic

    Member of The Unnamed Council- the Hex TCG PvE Guild

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Scammanator View Post
    As for the pre-defined decks, you might be interested in some of the potential guild features that have been talked about. In particular, we hope there will be some sort of deck rental system, where players can lend out decks through the guild bank. I think a feature like this might be a good substitute for your suggestion.
    Deck rental sounds good, but its effectivity would depend on who can actually use these decks. In Infinity Wars, pre-defined decks are available for everyone and you can choose them with just one click before battle. (Read: Everyone can try them and it's easy to do.)

  8. #8
    Devoted Emissary
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    136
    I believe HEX is planning to have some kind of "Guild Bank" for deck sharing. I can't find clear information on whether this only allows deck sharing or if it will also allow individual card sharing (which I think is a bad idea, would make having your own collection too unimportant).

    Being able to share decks (and deck lists) with each other means the community comes up with it's own "pre-defined" decks and lets players share them with each other. I'm imagining it working like this: If you rent out a deck from a guild bank then for a limited duration you can use that deck, but you are unable to keep the cards or modify the deck. This encourages guilds to make "noob decks" for new players to try out and allows all sorts of collaborative deck sharing beyond that. I'd love to loan my friends a few decks to give them a taste of what they could build; hopefully they would feel compelled to build their own version with their own cards in the future.

    In fact, deck sharing is the #1 reason I can think of for joining a guild (once they are implemented). I'd make a guild right now just to share my decks with friends. New players would seek out and join guilds just to have (limited) access to more cards. Want to get into HEX without spending any plat? Join a good guild and borrow a deck for pve (better than your starter deck) then start acquiring your own cards.

    Being able to get import/export codes for deck lists (for the sake of sharing AND trading) is a no-brainer and hopefully we'll get that eventually.

    ((Just editing to say... I'm slow and a few of ya beat me to the reply! Guild bank hype!!))
    Last edited by Drake6k; 02-09-2015 at 02:07 PM. Reason: slow
    Keep name: Drake
    Youtube: Drake6k

  9. #9

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •