Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Test Server and Large-Scale Tournament

Hi HEXers!

I just got out of meeting with the leadership and engineers to look up rewards for players who were in tournaments, the tournaments that fired where players won, and anyone who tried logging in before the first tournament launched but were unable to get into the game. We're still getting everything locked down and as soon as I have more information I will let everyone know. Though, it is safe to say, if you participated in the a tournament that completed, we will be rewarding based on the prizing break-down in our announcement here: https://hextcg.com/arena-test-server-its-back/

I also wanted to take some time to clarify a few things over the weekends as it seems expectations were off.

As this was a test server, we needed to have a large amount of players logging in. The reason why we didn't say that we didn't expect the tournament to run was two reasons: it would lower participation levels, and we were hoping it wouldn't break. One of the largest issues for the first tournament was the fact that many players tried logging into the test server for the first time all within the last 30 to 15 minutes before the tournament was set to launch. The main server has ways of handling a large increase in log-ins over a short period of time and the live server is also not auto-granting cards like the test server was. Please don't read this as an excuse or blame on anyone, we're just stating that this is what caused the first tournament to crash.

During this time frame, we got very busy trying to determine several things for the first tournament and going through the data as well as having a meeting. As I was in a meeting the engineers were trying to determine if the first tournament (of over 400 players) would actually resolve itself and continue after the log-ins calmed down or if the tournament would forever be lost. Because of this I wasn't given any information as to whether or not players should leave or stay there, and the answer didn't come right away.

At the same time they wanted to get the tests to go through due to time restrictions, therefore they launched a second tournament which launched relatively quickly and received a little over 30 players. I was specifically told not to advertise this tournament (nor the next) because they wanted a lower attendance. Meanwhile, we still didn't get any information back as to whether players in the first tournament should leave or not. The 30-man tournament ran as expected but wasn't enough people and they wanted to open a third tournament. This was also a tournament they didn't want advertise to try to lower attendance but larger than 30 people. The third tournament got up to 110 people and the tournament concluded later as normal. Around this time, it was determined that players from the first tournament weren't going to get to play as the test server wasn't going to recover. And that is when Roostasaur posted followed up by a post from me.
    Last edited by Phenteo; 02-18-2015 at 03:31 AM.
    -Phenteo, Former Community Manager and Egg Giver
    Twitter: @CM_Phenteo | @HEXTCG

"It's polite to say thank you when someone gives you a gift, human." -Phenteo

Update: We've been able to come to a final decision on the rewards for the Large-Scale Tournament Test. Please be aware that this only reflects the large-scale tournament and not Arena testing at large.

We will be inserting the rewards into accounts today at 5:30 Pacific (Worldclock). This will be automated and you will not receive an in-game mail when the item is inserted.

• For players who tried logging in between 8AM and 12PM Pacific, but were not able to get past the loading screen or join a tournament, or joined the largest tournament, will receive 1 free Constructed Queue Entry Ticket and a set 2 booster pack.
    • For players who joined the second and/or third tournaments will receive prizes based on the following pay-outs here: https://hextcg.com/arena-test-server-its-back/
    • 4 Wins – 10 Shattered Destiny booster packs
      3 Wins – 6 Shattered Destiny booster packs
      2 Wins – 3 Shattered Destiny booster packs
      1 Win – 2 Shattered Destiny booster packs
      0 Wins – 1 Shattered Destiny booster pack

If you participated in both second and third tournaments, your rewards will stack. EXAMPLE: If you won once in the first tournament and won twice in the second tournament, you will be receiving the following rewards: 2 (two) free Constructed Queue Entry Tickets and 5 (five) Shattered Destiny booster packs.

For those of you who just participated in the second and third tournaments and did not win, you will still receive the base prizes for each. 2 (two) free Constructed Queue Entry Tickets and 2 (two) Shattered Destiny booster packs.
    Last edited by Phenteo; 02-20-2015 at 03:28 AM.

The Transcended
    Quote Originally Posted by Phenteo View Post
    As this was a test server, we needed to have a large amount of players logging in. The reason why we didn't say that we didn't expect the tournament to run was two reason: it would lower participation levels, and we were hoping it wouldn't break. One of the largest issues for the first tournament was the fact that many players tried logging into the test server for the first time all within the last 30 to 15 minutes before the tournament was set to launch. The main server has ways of handling a large increase in log-ins over a short period of time and the live server is also not auto-granting cards like the test server was. Please don't read this as an excuse or blame on anyone, we're just stating that this is what caused the first tournament to crash.
    Thank you for this.

Gigantisaur
    Thanks Phenteo I was lucky to join the second pool it was good fun. I am glad the data was useful and its helpful to understand why the first event failed, and a glimpse of the behind the scene action which caused a small comms blackout. I came to test but I think the majority came to game.
    Buying Gold 120 gold per platinum details Here

IGN ALCHEMY KICKSTARTER BACKER MEMBER OF THE UNNAMED COUNCIL

Quote Originally Posted by hammer View Post
    I came to test but I think the majority came to game.
    Ultimately, it was a culmination of players wanting to participate in a large tournament. We're just as frustrated, but these tests help us out. This tournament server is actually brand new coding and communications back-end and it looks very promising for the future. This was the reason why we had it on the test server though, to test. Moving forward, it may lower attendance but if/when we do another large-scale tournament test, we will drive it home that it will be a test and we hope that you will be able to play but expect it to have a hang-up as we work through everything.

Time Bug
    Quote Originally Posted by Phenteo View Post
    Moving forward, it may lower attendance but if/when we do another large-scale tournament test, we will drive it home that it will be a test and we hope that you will be able to play but expect it to have a hang-up as we work through everything.
    Should comfortably hit 100+

Thanks for the update.
    IGN: Chocmaw | The Unnamed Council | Twitter

Change the "it will be a test and we hope that you will be able to play but expect it to have a hang-up as we work through everything."
    to " it will be a test and we hope that you will be able to play but expect it to have a hang-up as we work through everything and we will inform you ingame when itīs broken, to let you decide if you want to stay or leave" and Iīm happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Talso View Post
    we will inform you ingame when itīs broken, to let you decide if you want to stay or leave"
    That was impossible as we tried. The chat was brought down for the test and there was an issue with the broadcast tool.

Phenteo: "there was an issue with the broadcast tool. "

Ok thanks for THIS info and the explanations you are offering at the start of the thread. That makes up a lot for me.

Master of Gifs
    I think some people came into the Test Server expecting it to be like this:

But instead they came in and got this:

I knew what to expect and I got a bit of both, and had a good time even with the problems and delays. Glad I could help with the testing!