Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: [Not a Bug] Alt+tab cancels F10

  1. #1

    [Not a Bug] Alt+tab cancels F10

    I play on window mode, and frequently alt+tab between windows. In doing so I leave my play with an F10 when I know there is absolutely no more move available for me to do. However pressing alt+tab seems to be cancelling the F10 leaving the pass priority buttons untouched.

  2. #2
    This is not a bug. It's to prevent you from accidentally missing out on stops if another window pops up on top of Hex or you alt-tab out of full screen mode by accident or some other issue. F10 is an on-off switch, not a one push button that skips the whole turn (it keeps skipping phases as long as it's on). You can actually use it to skip a few phases and then turn it off again when you're ready to take action (great if your opponent is activating hellhound 12 times and you don't need to respond again until blockers are declared). So it's by design that F10 is automatically disabled if you leave the window. Feature, not bug.
    --ossuary

    "Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
    - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well

  3. #3
    Then can we pretty please with sugar on top get another button which is "no, seriously, I don't have the capability to/have absolutely no desire to respond to anything that happens, can we please just skip all prompts for this turn regardless of what happens"?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by ossuary View Post
    This is not a bug. It's to prevent you from accidentally missing out on stops if another window pops up on top of Hex or you alt-tab out of full screen mode by accident or some other issue. F10 is an on-off switch, not a one push button that skips the whole turn (it keeps skipping phases as long as it's on). You can actually use it to skip a few phases and then turn it off again when you're ready to take action (great if your opponent is activating hellhound 12 times and you don't need to respond again until blockers are declared). So it's by design that F10 is automatically disabled if you leave the window. Feature, not bug.
    I have used it several times for that purpose, turning it on and off to auto-pass priority. However, as Zurai have commented on, it would be extremely useful to have a button that just totally skips everything, losing 0 seconds.

  5. #5
    You do lose 0 seconds (or as near as it's possible to with the server response time), as long as you don't leave the window. As long as you're actually present in the game window, it will continue passing. That's how it works.

    If it were just a one button press that completely skipped the whole turn with no confirmation or cancellation, then people would complain that they pressed it accidentally and lost as a result ("WHY isn't there a confirmation? Why can't I turn this off?" etc.).
    --ossuary

    "Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
    - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by ossuary View Post
    If it were just a one button press that completely skipped the whole turn with no confirmation or cancellation, then people would complain that they pressed it accidentally and lost as a result ("WHY isn't there a confirmation? Why can't I turn this off?" etc.).
    I have thought about this already, and I believe this shouldn't be a problem at all. With the current F10, people can decide what to use. Additionally, using this total skip button should be used sparingly, if you make a mistake it is akin to making play mistake (kinda like a chess player who picks up a piece before putting it on the board). On top of this a person who does commit that kind of mistake will only make that mistake once, as he/she will learn from it that very moment.

    While theoretically you lose 0 seconds, this is not the case in practice. I lose 15-30 seconds per turn with F10 due to normal latency, and worse when internet is bad.

  7. #7
    High Tomb Lord
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    The Bowels of Heck
    Posts
    1,940
    I do not think I need this sort of play mistake available to me lol.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by ossuary View Post
    You do lose 0 seconds (or as near as it's possible to with the server response time), as long as you don't leave the window. As long as you're actually present in the game window, it will continue passing. That's how it works.

    If it were just a one button press that completely skipped the whole turn with no confirmation or cancellation, then people would complain that they pressed it accidentally and lost as a result ("WHY isn't there a confirmation? Why can't I turn this off?" etc.).
    Who said anything about no cancellation? It can be a toggle just like F10 is currently. No need for straw men here. I would just really like not to be chained to the game window against opponents who take multiple minutes deciding not to actually do anything. Every turn.

  9. #9
    The Transcended
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    7,860
    Quote Originally Posted by Zurai View Post
    Then can we pretty please with sugar on top get another button which is "no, seriously, I don't have the capability to/have absolutely no desire to respond to anything that happens, can we please just skip all prompts for this turn regardless of what happens"?
    Yeah, and please have it implement the check server side so that it's not even pinging my client after I press the "no really, I'm done" button. (Meaning, I push Ctrl+F10 or whatever, my client tells the server "stop asking me for priority until it's next turn" and the server then stops asking for input until the next turn.)

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by israel.kendall View Post
    I do not think I need this sort of play mistake available to me lol.
    Which is why it is an option, just like F10 is.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •