Thread: Brainstorm: Thematic PVEPVP Arenas

Master of Gifs

Brainstorm: Thematic PVEPVP Arenas

There has been some discussion about what to call the unrestricted PVP format that allows use of PVE cards and equipments, and I thought I'd share an idea I've been thinking about: Thematic PVEPVP Arenas:

I feel that something more important than the name of this unrestricted format is how the format will actually be presented to players and experiences in game. Since this mode will include PVE cards and equipment, would it not also be best to have the mode playable in thematic areas in the world, with some kind of story and special game boards? For example, there could be a special place called the BATTLEDOME where Lords and Ladies meet to settle their grievances with each other! TWO ENTER - ONE LEAVES. WHO WILL WIN IN THIS UNLIMITED UNRESTRICTED AND UNINHIBITED BATTLE TO THE DEATH?!!?

The cool thing about having thematic arenas is that there could be multiple locations with different themes, and each one could also include Special Rulesets that affect the fights that take place there. These rulesets could be similar to the ones used in the Frost Ring Arena. For example, one arena could be a mining camp that favors ground troops, giving flying troops -1 attack and tunneling troops +1 defense. Another location could be human themed and have both champions start with a Citadel of Adamanth in play. Another one could be Random Princess Cory themed and at the start of each turn one random troop transforms into another random troop of the same cost. Etc.

These locations could be spread around Entrath and have their own rankings tied to them, maybe there could be seasons where a handful of the locations are unlocked at a time and they cycle through them over time to ensure each one gets enough participation. Participating could also possibly award small amounts of gold similar to the old Proving Grounds (or not, not a big deal either way).

I think this would be the best and most interesting way to provide this kind of format. All thematic arenas would use the random matchmaking, but there could still be a direct challenge mode available for vanilla/unthemed/custom trials against friends/specific players, though they would likely have to be unranked.

So what do you guys think? Share your thoughts and ideas for different arenas/rulesets below, and have fun!

Gigantisaur
    Princess Cory's Chaos Duel-O-Rama - you and your opponent both enter with a deck, but which deck you play with is randomly decided.

Master of Gifs
    Quote Originally Posted by bootlace View Post
    Sounds like Planechase but with some digital innovations I think it would be fun.
    Oh yeah I didn't even think of those, they would be similar maybe in spirit but you're right Hex could do it so much better with the all-digital environment!

I think the developers (and the players) could have a lot of fun with the design space here, there's so many possibilities, especially if they incorporate what they've learned from making the full dungeons to design these arenas with a similar variety of interesting mechanics and rulesets

Gigantisaur
    Probably a seriously good wild/ruby troll deck.