Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Please, Please, I beg CZE to Delay Set 3!

Please, Please, I beg CZE to Delay Set 3!

Now before I decided to write this I put on my flame retardant outfit but I truly beg CZE to delay Set 3. Please here me out before you guys/gals rip me to shreds but I promise you I have a very valid argument.

For most micro-transaction games to succeed, it is really important for “whales” to exist in the game as they make up less than 2% of the playerbase but create around 90% of the revenue. I for one may be qualified as a whale in other Digital Trading Card Games as I had complete playsets of Hearthstone, Might and Magic Duel of Champions, Solforge, and Shadow Era before playing Hex, all of which are great games but none are even close to the depth and replay value that Hex provides. However, I will tell you from a whales perspective that if I was not a Kickstarter, and I was to join at or after Set 3, I would find it overwhelming and possibly financially too steep to want to continue in Hex knowing what it would cost to acquire a complete playset of Sets 1-3 plus all released PvE cards.

Now I know many of you will say, that you can just draft and go infinite to acquire playsets, which is a true statement but only a small amount of us can do that, but for the game to succeed we need people paying money and the more “whales” and paying players we can attract the better for all of us and especially the Free-to-Play players who can continue to enjoy the game for free.

Another argument, would be that CZE needs the money to continue funding development and that is why Set 3 needs to be released and a valid argument. However, I have another idea about how CZE can drastically increase revenue and it is fairly simple to implement. Release weekly events similar to the Set 2 Release Party where only the winner wins the AA card, and have it be to win AA cards that people would pay 700 plat ($7) to enter a draft (i.e. Jags, Wakizashi Ambusher, etc.). Make them a weeklong event, so that everyone can play based on players schedules (not everyone can play on weekends). I for one will gladly play in those tournaments as I played in 4 and was only able to win 1 Filk Ape, but it felt really good and a strong sense of accomplishment to win that draft as opposed to normal drafts and I am sure many agree who participated in that event.

Keeping it fresh I know is another reason for coming out with Sets every 4 months or so but I would rather the game be a little stale (not really with Arena Release) in order to acquire new players then to make what I believe is 80%+ of the forum players being Kickstarters happy.

Once the player base is high enough to warrant the release of Set 3 (my guess after the $100k tournament and everyone is addicted to Hex), that is when it should be released so everyone has something fresh. Like me, I am sure many others want to see this game last a really long time and sacrificing a little now for the longevity of the game may be worth it. In my opinion this is the best way to do that.

I hope you all agree but I doubt it so let the rebuttal begin. If you agree lets come up with more ideas on how CZE can make up the revenue loss by delaying Set 3 and drastically increase our player base so that us Kickstarters are the minority.

there will always be new player to bring in the fold. It makes no sense to delay releases based upon this fact. It will also piss off new players to have a bunch of ultra rare (more than we already have) promos that were only available for a week. What you propose is a double edged sword and generally it is better to feed the beast you do have than to let it die and hope for something better.

I agree, Kramer. I think for the good of the future of HEX, set three should be held off until we are at a point of serious marketability (Dungeons, an asynchronous tournament format of some sort, and possibly double-backs) before set three is released.

Gigantisaur
    Instead of simply saying that I disagree with just about everything you wrote, I want to ask you about the core of your argument:

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer View Post
    However, I will tell you from a whales perspective that if I was not a Kickstarter, and I was to join at or after Set 3, I would find it overwhelming and possibly financially too steep to want to continue in Hex knowing what it would cost to acquire a complete playset of Sets 1-3 plus all released PvE cards.
    Why is this overwhelming to you?

You have collected complete playsets of various digital card games, many of which don't have trading, and therefore all progress toward collections in these other games have no value outside your account. You have a complete playset of Hearthstone, which by my estimate, would take at least $350 in packs or a ton of time consistently grinding for gold via dailies. You have a complete playset of SolForge, which has 5 sets out, a really steep money pack price, and a very harsh legendary-card-acquisition grind if one does not daily quest and draft repeatedly.

If you are using money to complete playset other games, why is Hex so different?

If you are using money to complete playset other games, why is Hex so different?

The cost to get everything in Hex would far exceeld the cost of Hearthstone and Solforge. I do grind both and I said had playsets. I stopped playing those when I found out about Hex which I guess goes to your point but I am still against the release of Set 3 this early in beta. I also could not afford all of those games for playsets so I choose Hex, but my point is others may just choose to continue putting money in the games they are currently playing vs. add another game. Besides I doubt my post will change any release date of Set 3 as it is just my two cent opinion.
    Last edited by Kramer; 04-07-2015 at 05:00 PM.

This has been brought up before.

MTG gets new players every year and has 20 years worth of sets.

I don't think 3 sets is putting off as many people as you think and if it does maybe TCG's are not for them.

Also no one NEEDS playsets of the cards.

I really believe some ranked ladder mode needs to be in the game before set 3. Reason: it adds so much replayability (shelf-life) to a new set. Currently people draft like crazy for a week or two and then leave the game, a ladder mode will have them sticking around much more.

More specific to your point though: do whales really need to have complete playsets (you only need 60 cards for a competitive deck) and won't there always be whales late to the party?

Quote Originally Posted by bootlace View Post
    I really believe some ranked ladder mode needs to be in the game before set 3. Reason: it adds so much replayability (shelf-life) to a new set. Currently people draft like crazy for a week or two and then leave the game, a ladder mode will have them sticking around much more.
    I would love a ladder mode, but how does that increase CZE revenue. I guess by purchasing singles on AH to get the deck they want for the ladder. Why not do both? Maybe the event should be every other week or once a month, I just do not want Set 3 revenue loss to delay development in any way.

Set 3 is going to happen when it happens, and we have no say.

As for this whole premise? Even whales don't need entire playsets. Anyone who thinks otherwise is shoe-horning the idea of whales into the completionist segment, which is not strictly true. There are multiple kinds of whales, and a true whale wouldn't worry too much about having a few premium items to buy.
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png

High Tomb Lord
    It was already delayed, no need for thread lol