Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Limited Cards

Limited Cards

I was thinking about the PvE cards and how their market value droped.
    At one hand it is because we only have arena as pve content and thus everyone spams it. On the other hand pve cards will always be way more abundant than pack cards, because there will always be way more f2p pve players then pvp only ones.

So one way to fix this and give arena worthwile loot are limited cards.
    Of course it would be bad to include a set of cards where the players can only get 10000 copies and thats it, but if the drop rate would be linked to the amount of copies on active accounts and the amount of active account itself, then that would work pretty well.
    What ist an active account? I can't really define it properly, but i'd an account that was logged in in the past 3 months.

So basically imagine the fictional card of "Soul Rapier", the player factor for the drop is 0.5, that means it hits the lowest possible droprate (maybe 1:1000000 or 1:10000000) when the amount of copies of that card owned by active accounts is at or over 0.5 times the number of active players. The actual drop rate could be 1:100 if no one owns one, 1:1000 if players^0.5/4 owns one, 1:10000 if players^0.5/3 own one etc.

Those pve cards would be semi limited, the drop rate goes up while the hex playerbase grows and goes down when those players spam pve. That means the value of those cards would be a constant depending on the player factor, 0.5 is pretty uncommon as only 12.5% of the players could own a playset of those, one with the factor of 4 would be common as every player can own 1 and one with the factor of 0.04 would probably be very expensive because only 1% of the playerbase can own a complete playset (+ a few more because there is no hard limit on the copies but rather an extreme decrease in droprate)

The idea is neat, but too complex (try explaining the drop rates to a new player), and actively punishes people for playing (better to let the account 'die' for a few months to boost supply, then come back and buy them cheap.)

It seems like it would actively destroy fun, too. I would rather play, knowing something is rare, than to play knowing something is rare just because someone else has it.
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png

I believe Gwaer already has all of his AA's shipped to a dormant account based in the Cayman Islands (next to the expanse of Lotus Gardens he is currently having cultivated) for this exact purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenavire View Post
    It seems like it would actively destroy fun, too. I would rather play, knowing something is rare, than to play knowing something is rare just because someone else has it.
    but "just" rare cards would definitely lose their value over time, which wont matter for vets, but for newer player that's always pretty annoying.

PvE cards aren't very valuable because there are hardly any of them, so they drop pretty frequently.

I don't get the impression any of the super rare 'chase' pve cards have been released yet.

Quote Originally Posted by vylqun View Post
    but "just" rare cards would definitely lose their value over time, which wont matter for vets, but for newer player that's always pretty annoying.
    Why? It lowers the barrier for entry into PvE for them, effectively speeding up their progress and allowing them faster farming.

As long as the gold sinks are good enough, then the cards wouldn't be needed as much as the gold, and it would make 'gearing up' a lot easier overall.

It's a really interesting idea. I like the concept but agree that drop rate is too complex. I think just a hard limited number like 5000 of each card (sort of like it is with some of the kick starter rewards) would work good. It is only PVE cards so the fact that not every one would have a chance to get them shouldnt be major. And the mad rush when a new card was announced to earn them before they run out would be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by malloc31 View Post
    It's a really interesting idea. I like the concept but agree that drop rate is too complex. I think just a hard limited number like 5000 of each card (sort of like it is with some of the kick starter rewards) would work good. It is only PVE cards so the fact that not every one would have a chance to get them shouldnt be major. And the mad rush when a new card was announced to earn them before they run out would be fun.
    I'd hate it, personally - but I could live with AA's being done this way, since you don't 'require' them to play certain decks etc.

I think Uruunaz style cards may be the right way to go for anything that they want to be truly scarce but 'infinitely available' - I haven't even heard of anyone meeting Uruunaz for at least a week, which goes to show exactly how rare it is.

I like this idea - although the part about transferring cards to a dormant sub-account could be gamed so there needs to be another algorithm.

I had an idea a few months back about being 1 'Golden Ticket' (Willy Wonka style) in every XXX,000 packs, with the ticket being anything from a code for free access to the next Hex ebook to something like earning the right to have a vanity card made for you. A similar concept can be applied to dungeons.

For example every hour there is a random 'something' (can be an exclusive AA, a pack, a primal, but probably best is a perishable powerful PvE card like Spectral Lotus) dropping from a boss - so there's always some hype every hour as people converse on chat and race to get that hour's bonus item.

More specific to your point on combating PvE drop flooding - I think the crafting system will have to take some out of the economy. I also think they should really be less generous with the drops AND reduce drop rate of rares/legendaries (currently WAY too high). It's pretty ridiculous spending only 40 minutes on an Arena run and getting like 15 pieces of equipment/card. Anyone else remember doing some dungeon in an MMO like WoW for 1.5 hours and hoping to get just ONE rare quality item? In the end it devalues all loot and you're hardly excited about what you're going to get because you already have it all and it's all just worth pennies. Bigger loot pool will help a bit, but the speed at which everything dropped in value was way too fast, drop rates must be adjusted.

In truth i think your idea when wrong right here:

Quote Originally Posted by vylqun View Post
    Of course it would be bad to include a set of cards where the players can only get 10000 copies and thats it,
    PvE cards released in finite numbers and once that supply is exhausted they don't drop any more sounds like a perfectly reasonable concept to me.

I mean they already did that with the KS PvE exclusives. I don't see why they can't make a Legendary drop from a Raid only pay out 3,000 times (so the first 1,000 completions to score a legendary drop get it) then the card is removed from the loot table (replaced with another Legendary). thereby making that reward even rarer than typical legendary drops.