Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Visual Addons?

Visual Addons?

So as of now, the Hex Client-side API is out. One of the main things that I want to do to help myself while I draft, is show which cards I have in my library and how many.

So I was wondering if visual addons were allowed? I mean it wouldn't do anything but use the client side api to pull your collection (hopefully we can add some functionality to force this) and as you saw your pack, it could highlight in varying colors cards that you did not have a full playset of.

Something like:
    Red outline: 0 in collection
    Orange: 1
    Yellow: 2
    Green: 3
    Nothing: 4+

Pretty simple, just to make it easier to know which ones I want, without having to keep track by hand or otherwise. I'm thinking about combining either Orange and Yellow for it to be Yellow is 1 & 2 or, Red is 0 & 1. Either way though, I think this would be fine to make, I just wanted to make sure.

Also any suggestions would be helpful. I could give you credit as well, if you so desire.
    Last edited by Blare731; 04-25-2015 at 03:50 PM.
    KickSTARTER
    Grand King

Hex IGN: Ares

I am pretty sure all addons are not allowed.

I have an excel sheet off to the side that I keep track when I open packs in draft or in the store. Its pretty easy to keep up to date with how it is set-up.
    Hex is a MMO-TCG
    *** There is 3 very important letters in this game's genre.
    Hex - Collector Tier Kickstarter Backer
    In-Game name: Ashmander

Quote Originally Posted by Diesbudt View Post
    I have an excel sheet off to the side that I keep track when I open packs in draft or in the store. Its pretty easy to keep up to date with how it is set-up.

Like I said, It's not hard. It's annoying, when it can easily be implemented you know. But I wasn't sure about their addon policy since I can't find much in ToS since they said they may allow certain third party addons.

Edit: Here's what is says in the ToS

"3. Unauthorized Third Party Software. You are strictly prohibited from use of unauthorized third party software that intercepts, “mines”, or otherwise collects information from or through the HEX Game, including without limitation any software that reads areas of RAM used by the Game Client to store information about a character, game environment, or other aspects of the HEX Game; provided, however, that HEX Entertainment may, at its sole discretion, allow the use of certain third party user interfaces."
    Last edited by Blare731; 04-25-2015 at 04:01 PM.
    KickSTARTER
    Grand King

Hex IGN: Ares

This is on my top 5 list for what I'd like officially added to improve the drafting experience.
    ----
    http://i.imgur.com/I1MZpF8.png
    HexEnt is too long to type, They're HXE now.
    I am currently trading my unused GK code for a new Tesla Model S P85D
    Feel free to contact me for where you can have it shipped.

Given CZE already links your collection to your ah searches there is no reason they shouldn't be able to do a scroll over telling you how many of a given card you have during the draft other then development time.

Using the api you can just make it write out a text file of the cards you need from each draft pack... I'd avoid overlays and anything that actually interacts with the client.

People already have the api exporting their collections to excel files, so you just have it export the draft pack trigger and have it run a conditional formatting on the new sheet... have to dual screen or alt tab though.
    Last edited by zadies; 04-25-2015 at 07:57 PM.

The Transcended
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesbudt View Post
    I am pretty sure all addons are not allowed.
    As long as it's a separate program and not a modification to the client, why would it be prohibited?

I think the original suggestion was to interact with the client which would require pixel recognition among other things to place the border Yoss.

As long as it isn't actually sending information back through the client to the server or to the server directly I don't think it really matters. but using pixel recognition software probably falls under the ToS issue the person brought up.

The api though is authorized by hex and has a draft pack call so it is absolutely fine to use that information to compare it automatically to your collection, it's really a question of how to display that information without being called foul, borders are around cards requires specific information about what is being displayed on screen to place them.

The Transcended
    I agree about presentation issues. Seems simple enough to just create a row of boxed numbers below the cards based solely on the window position and resolution you use. No need to screen scrape any data from the client display. Should be legit.

Umm, how would the overlay know which number to put next to whichever card without scraping data?

It all depends on if the api call provides the cards in order they are displayed or not, which I haven't really bothered to test, but this also requires knowing the default sort order that it is providing the information in and if it matches the default that the draft displays, and won't allow for resorting the cards during the draft otherwise it breaks all the assumptions used to place the data and some people may resort their drafts while using this and really just get messed up.

If the api call provides the cards in an order you can set the client to sort to then that order allows you to know where each card is and can place each number in the appropriate place for a given resolution without actually scraping the screen based on a number of assumptions that that information provides.

If it doesn't provide them in order then you don't put the number near the card more fill up a portion of the screen at all times(that you minimize once the drafting portion is over) that doesn't actually show anything that is numbered 1-15 and just says the number of them that you own.

The real issue is getting any data to display on top of the client at all to work when not in windowed mode without running afoul of that ToS thing... really that is up to personal interpretation... I wouldn't risk it though, technically not much of a difference in effect in actual implementation there is. I've been using the term overlay for easy of understanding but only when this is done in full screen would it need to be coded as a full on overlay as opposed to a second program that is set to just have the window priority to just be on top of everything else, ala some media players.
    Last edited by zadies; 04-26-2015 at 11:27 AM.