Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just saying Hello. Umm where to begin?

Just saying Hello. Umm where to begin?

Never played a TCG before, big fan of some but they always seem so intimidating. Saw the KS a long time ago and was still afraid. After playing FPS games like CSGO and such got tired and felt empty. Wanted something a little more casual and hardcore(but life happened recently got into trade school for free so work 16 hours a day so no hardcore) that i can sink time into. I came to this yesterday, and the wife was interested as well so felt like something we can do together on the weekends. I honestly dont know where to begin, but i just saw some interesting posts so ill be reading those ie

Drafting and tournament basics for starting players.
    Refugee's Hex Starter Guide
    The New-to-TCGs Player's Guide to Hex TCG (Guide)
    Spending money in Hex - Strategy

I try to commit mostly to one game, with the exception of a AAA title every now and then. I do plan on spend my hard earned money on this game. SO far i got the impression that the community isnt lame doodies (hope that is true). But yea.. this looks interesting and was wondering and looking for the community to point me in a direction on where to become a valuable member and build to become a great casual player to this game and community. I must warn you though, i am an awesome person and human being. Me and the mrs might just be interested in the PVE aspect of the game, due to time issues, but if I can get a grasp on how TCGs work i might go casual in the pvp department. Im no sore loser, I have been raised since birth to strive for a win, but to not sulk during a loss, so losing is easy to me lol.

So just wanted to introduce myself, and ill be active in the forums(mostly reading) whenever i have time to get on, mostly at night after a long shift like 3am ish. So hello

You heard right about the community (I'll admit there are a few bad apples floating around, but you can't help it when a game is so much fun). Seeing as you are new, if you are looking to try out some deck ideas etc, shoot me a mail in-game (same name) and I will send you a bunch of commons so you can get a feel for things. If you like what you see, you should have the basics for a bunch of good decks, and a good head start on Arena too.

So, welcome, and hello - I really hope you enjoy it here.
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png

The Transcended
    Your list of threads to read seems like a great start. There are also several good streamers and podcasters out there for Hex that can also help you learn. Depending on the nature of your job, you might even listen to the podcast while you work. Lastly, if you decide you're really going to make this your only game for a while, I recommend finding a nice guild to play with. There's a whole subforum here just for that purpose.

Welcome to the show!

Quote Originally Posted by Xenavire View Post
    You heard right about the community (I'll admit there are a few bad apples floating around, but you can't help it when a game is so much fun). Seeing as you are new, if you are looking to try out some deck ideas etc, shoot me a mail in-game (same name) and I will send you a bunch of commons so you can get a feel for things. If you like what you see, you should have the basics for a bunch of good decks, and a good head start on Arena too.

So, welcome, and hello - I really hope you enjoy it here.
    Thanks I appreciate ill definitely add you in game. Lol ive been dueling my wife. She is having a tought time with the Shin-Haire starter deck against my ork starter deck. 3-0 as of now. We are just getting a feel for what it is like. Idk if im quite there to start the deck building though, just taking it a step at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoss View Post
    Your list of threads to read seems like a great start. There are also several good streamers and podcasters out there for Hex that can also help you learn. Depending on the nature of your job, you might even listen to the podcast while you work. Lastly, if you decide you're really going to make this your only game for a while, I recommend finding a nice guild to play with. There's a whole subforum here just for that purpose.

Welcome to the show!
    Thanks for the welcome. We will definitely be looking into the guild things. I am trying to press her to read the forums for tips and just quick read some strategies when she gets into trouble. Good to know that the community is active.

The Transcended
    Quote Originally Posted by ehhisuck View Post
    Thanks I appreciate ill definitely add you in game. Lol ive been dueling my wife. She is having a tought time with the Shin-Haire starter deck against my ork starter deck. 3-0 as of now. We are just getting a feel for what it is like. Idk if im quite there to start the deck building though, just taking it a step at a time.
    Yeah, the bunny deck is rather terrible unfortunately. It has multiple personality disorder. On the one hand, it wants to create a zillion bunnies to swarm with Onslaught, but at the same time it wants to consume bunnies to fuel various sacrifice effects. It is by far the weakest starter deck. To improve it, when she has cards to do so, dump the Blood and go mono-Wild with the bunnies (swarm tactics). If you don't mind spending more money, the mono-blood (sacrifice style) is also fun, but it uses some "expensive" rare cards (Minion of Yazukan, specifically).

Meanwhile, the Orc deck is debatably the strongest of the four (the Dwarves are the other candidate for best).
    Last edited by Yoss; 04-29-2015 at 05:36 PM.

Yeah, the bunny deck is rather terrible unfortunately. It has multiple personality disorder. On the one hand, it wants to create a zillion bunnies to swarm with Onslaught, but at the same time it wants to consume bunnies to fuel various sacrifice effects. It is by far the weakest starter deck. To improve it, when she has cards to do so, dump the Blood and go mono-Wild with the bunnies (swarm tactics). If you don't mind spending more money, the mono-blood (sacrifice style) is also fun, but it uses some "expensive" rare cards (Minion of Yazukan, specifically).

Oh that good to know. Yea she dumped the profile sadly and went human, and is enjoying that deck pretty far. No way is she going to be as invested as I am, but she loves the Frost Arena, but she knows that she is going to need a better deck sometime when the time is right. I am sure she will be looking to me to find the most cost effective way of doing so. Right now im scavenging aroudn the forums to understand the most effective way to spend money in TCGS. I dont mind spending a certain amount every month like a sub based MMO as long as the content is right.

Meanwhile, the Orc deck is debatably the strongest of the four (the Dwarves are the other candidate for best).
    Nice. Would you mind adding me so i can have a fellow person to chat about, im sure your library is nice, and i feel that I need some guidance in deck building and etc. I really want to get into this. Its nice that i have money to dedicate to this finally.

The Transcended
    You can try to catch me online, IGN DunYoss.
    If you're an old fart like me, you can apply to the guild I'm a part of: Cornerstone.

You can try to catch me online, IGN DunYoss.
    If you're an old fart like me, you can apply to the guild I'm a part of: Cornerstone.
    Im like an old fart lol. I am 23, married, work nights as a janitor, and during the day i go to a vocational school for electrician. Absolutely no time to play, except for weekends (saturday for 12 hour session), starting may 5th. So if you guys have room a mature adult who is interested in learning a TCG on his off time. I am interested lol.