Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So... when are we seeing more VP coins?

The VP coins are my favorite aspect of the Forever Evil set. Because my wife and our friends use a mixed deck and allow Super Heroes or Villains to be picked, we get to see use of VP coins in most games.

But when do you plan to make any other sets that use this mechanic? It doesn't look like Teen Titans or any of the announced crossovers will. I just wanted to see if you've got plans to use them again.
    Last edited by SushiSquid; 06-01-2015 at 08:31 PM.

They will appear again...
    Matt Hyra
    Cryptozoic R&D

Aw, so cryptic. I suppose the company name is apt. Well, good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by SushiSquid View Post
    Aw, so cryptic. I suppose the company name is apt. Well, good to know.
    You... um... Cryptozoic and Cryptic aren't related words... at all.

Cryptozoic is an old term used to reference the Precambrian period of earth's history.

The etymology of "cryptic" is of Greek origin and has nothing to do with "Crytozoic."

This has been another "Your misuse of words required me to be a jerk because I can't let small things go" moment brought to you by the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by DimeDrl View Post
    You... um... Cryptozoic and Cryptic aren't related words... at all.
    Cryptozoic is an old term used to reference the Precambrian period of earth's history.
    The etymology of "cryptic" is of Greek origin and has nothing to do with "Cryptozoic."
    Wrong again, Bob.

Cryptic is "hidden, occult, mystical," from Late Latin crypticus, and/or from Greek kryptikos "fit for concealing," or kryptos "hidden".

The Cryptozoic era is the geologic time interval for which the corresponding rocks show limited evidence of primitive life forms. These life forms are "hidden" from history, hence the "crypto" prefix. It is also likely that Cryptozoic is making reference to Cryptozoology, which is the study of animals whose existence has yet to be proven.

The words are very much related.

Question Suggested errata for Magic

By the way, can I suggest an errata based on VP coins? In so many games, I had noticed the card Magic from Crisis 1 getting left in the line-up. Even when purchased, it only ever was getting used to remove Weaknesses and Vulnerabilities. That is not its point. I think its point was essentially to replace the overpowered Clayface (which is not in my deck) with something more balanced, but you went too far. Clayface was too good, but Magic isn't good enough. A 5-cost card should be more desirable than it is.

I have added text to the card so its full effect now reads: "Choose a card you played this turn. Play it again this turn, and then destroy it. If its cost is 1 or greater, gain 1 VP."

And you know what? This tiny change has made this card actually get used now. Now it's not such a huge penalty to replay cards with Magic, so people actually want to buy and use it. It's really been a great fix.

By the way, can I suggest an errata based on VP coins? In so many games, I had noticed the card Magic from Crisis 1 getting left in the line-up. Even when purchased, it only ever was getting used to remove Weaknesses and Vulnerabilities. That is not its point. I think its point was essentially to replace the overpowered Clayface (which is not in my deck) with something more balanced, but you went too far. Clayface was too good, but Magic isn't good enough. A 5-cost card should be more desirable than it is.

I have added text to the card so its full effect now reads: "Choose a card you played this turn. Play it again this turn, and then destroy it. If its cost is 1 or greater, gain 1 VP."

And you know what? This tiny change has made this card actually get used now. Now it's not such a huge penalty to replay cards with Magic, so people actually want to buy and use it. It's really been a great fix.
    If I had an early game choice between Clayface and Magic, I'd go with Magic. Why? Because while Clayface can double up a punch's power, Magic will do the same, and eliminate that punch from my deck as well.

Quote Originally Posted by midnight_rider View Post
    If I had an early game choice between Clayface and Magic, I'd go with Magic. Why? Because while Clayface can double up a punch's power, Magic will do the same, and eliminate that punch from my deck as well.
    I just wish there was a way to "Magic Magic"

In other words, let it destroy itself.

I have a feeling if this card had been released post-Forever Evil, it would have been given an alternate +Power effect.
    L. Dalton Duncan
    Video Editor and Graphic Designer
    Bachelor's in Emerging Media, Cum Laude

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Deck-Building Game

Magic is a perfectly designed card because it allows versatility with it's usage. I'm sorry if you don't see that

Oh, I see the card's utility, but at cost 3. At cost 5 it is just not good enough.

Magic exists to fix the problem with Clayface. That is, Clayface could copy anything for free, and that was too powerful. Magic needed to do one of two things to fix it. Either
    A) Make it destroy the copied card, or
    B) Make it only able to copy cards of cost 6 or less.
    Cryptozoic went with option A, which would have been a great 3-cost card. At 5 cost, it is simply not good enough and needs to be improved. My suggestion of awarding 1 VP if the destroyed card has cost 1 or greater is a very good fix, but others would work fine too.