Thread: Where is the Japanese version for Hex?

Master Theorycrafter

Where is the Japanese version for Hex?

The client looks like its set up to handle other languages pretty easily, so this should really just be a matter of hiring some freelance translation for the text files.

A lot of industry people feel "Japan only plays their own games" but this is mostly due to western companies putting out half-assed product. There are plenty of Japanese TCGs out there but that other card game is king. Why did it get so popular in Japan? They put the effort into producing a localized product in a foreign market and it paid off bigtime.

Japan is a huge market for TCGs and if Hex Ent really believes their product can be #1 in the digital space, like us players believe, then there is very little reason not to foster a Japanese Hex community. Please don't sleep on this huge opportunity for success.
    Last edited by ryuukan; 06-02-2015 at 08:59 AM.

Would Japan need its own walled garden?

Isn't this why Hex partnered with Gameforge?

I think it's more an issue of resources than trying to exclude Japan.

While the client seems to be able to be localized fairly easily, it still requires a lot of translating to be done in the first place.

At least, that's what I think would hold up any localization beyond publishing issues.

*so wants to play Bravely Second - but localization will be until mid-next year at the earliest*

To add to that, there are also cultural things to take into consideration as well.

Most recently, the Chinese players have discovered the artwork for cards that feature kimonos to be displayed the wrong way. (i.e. right over left instead of left over right)

Quote Originally Posted by ryuukan View Post
    The client looks like its set up to handle other languages pretty easily, so this should really just be a matter of hiring some freelance translation for the text files.
    Heh. For reference, since signing the contract, we've been working with our Chinese partner for approximately 1 year to release the game there. It's not just a matter of hiring some freelance translation to publish a game in a new region. It's a little more complicated than that

Quote Originally Posted by Chark View Post
    Heh. For reference, since signing the contract, we've been working with our Chinese partner for approximately 1 year to release the game there. It's not just a matter of hiring some freelance translation to publish a game in a new region. It's a little more complicated than that
    Unless it's a fan work. Phantasy Star Online 2, an immensely popular Japanese MMO which was never released in the US, actually has an unofficial team of fans who create tweakers, patches, guides and translations to the point that, while a chunk of the text is still in Japanese, the game is actually entirely playable and the story basically comprehensible for non-Japanese speakers. At least, as comprehensible as JRPG plots involving time travel and alternate dimensions can be, anyway.

Point being... y'know... the game gets big enough, it could happen. :3

I think its worth it, and I would love to be part of a game that gets sent to Japan, since a lot of my favourite games come from there. Bravely Second has a lot of waiting fans, eh Kami?
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png