Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About name impersonators

About name impersonators

I know that impersonating a HEX employee is NOT allowed

but what making a very similar name to a regular player?

this morning I asked a guild mate to lend me a pack and some plat I needed for a draft

he ended up sending it but to someone named "starpheonix" accidentaly he got the oe reversed and the mail went through to someone with a extremely close name to mine, hoping that the personw ho received it with a extremely close name to mine will return it, or it will time out in 24 hours.

I can see this not ending well if theres no rules against it.

EDITED: I am not accusing this specific player of impersonation, but I would like a rule about mimicking very similar names since this can be very easily abused.
    Last edited by Phoenixfire; 06-28-2015 at 05:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixfire View Post
    I know that impersonating a HEX employee is NOT allowed

but what impersonating regular players?

this morning I asked a guild mate to lend me a pack and some plat I needed for a draft

he ended up sending it but to someone named "starpheonix" accidentaly he got the oe reversed and the mail went through to someone with a extremely close name to mine.

I can see this not ending well if theres no rules against it.
    Some one with a similar name to you is not impersonating you and you need to be careful with those accusations. If some one is actually impersonating you to scam that would be different and should be reported. Many of us including me do not have very original names, it's not surprising someone else wanted the name couldn't get it so slightly modified the spelling. This will be more common as the population increases at some point they will probably have to do an inactive name purge to free up names which a lot of free to play games have to do.

DESK I see your point, I edited original post to be clear im not accusing this specific player of impersonating me, but I do want rules against it in future.

Well, I know from experience that I am the only Xenavire around, so if anyone see's an alternative spelling in-game, please report them.
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png

Personally i see no problem with two players having almost similar names. This becomes inevitable when the community grows. If people can not register a new account with a name that is slightly similar with names that already exist, we will quickly run out of possible usernames. Besides if it was impersonating, how is to prove he is impersonating you, instead of you impersonating him?

The only solution i see to this 'problem' is to add an option to send a mail directly from your friend list to that friend, thus to avoid the chance of misspelling a name.

I don't see how this is something they could make a rule about. It'll get harder and harder for people to make names as the community grows. Switching letters around on a name someone wants will be pretty common.

Quote Originally Posted by havocattack View Post
    If you see someone with the name NewStarPhoenix then you can worry xD
    lol... this did have me chuckle havoc.

Quote Originally Posted by desk View Post
    This will be more common as the population increases
    This is exactly what I was thinking and you beat me to it. Lets take a game that used to be dear to me before the Hex KS... WoW. I owned the name Stoked on a server... There are currently 167x Stoked's on different servers. In Addition, all of the ASCII O's and E's are likely taken as well for names that are popular. I used to 5-box myself using the same name with alt vowels.

Long story short, alt spellings to popular names will happen as the population increases. Everyone wants the handle they typically play with in games or something they believe is clever. Unfortunately, they may not have been the first to come up with it...

Just make sure people are very clear about how to spell your name before they hit send. I'm sure I've seen a few people spell mine Berkely...

Non-standard alpha characters in a name (i.e. anything that's not your typical abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz) will eventually be dealt with. If you actually see names abusing non-standard alpha characters, feel free to screenshot and make a report to HEX support.

This is an issue that's come up before.