Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

DC DBG 2 Character Tier List

Hey guys, been awhile since I last posted regarding a tier list for competitive DC DBG, but with the release of Teen Titans and Arrow: Crossover, I figured it would be a good time to drop some info I've gathered regarding the current state of my play group's meta. We use all Character cards at the moment, aside from Batman (15) and Joker (15) which we are testing for the concept of Confrontation only referring to when buying a Super-Hero/Villain, so at the moment they are not listed. (Note - Arrow: Crossover hasn't made it to any of our local stores yet, so this list does not have them listed as we haven't had the chance to test their true potential)

Tier 0: BANNED - No thought process required, these guys will win 95% of all games.

Cyborg (Crisis), Shazam! (Crisis)

Tier 1: Overpowered - Pick these guys as fast as possible, they are game changers.

Aquaman, Shazam!, Martian Manhunter, Cyborg, Harley Quinn, Kid Flash, Beast Boy, Batman (12), Indigo-1, The Flash

Tier 2: Set Dependent - Depending on the base set, each of these guys becomes Tier 1 or better.

Wonder Woman, Starfire, Bane, Lex Luthor, Bizarro, Deathstroke, Sinestro, Starfire (Teen), Wonder Woman (Crisis), Starfire (Crisis), Green Arrow, White Lantern Deadman, Saint Walker, Doctor Fate

Tier 3: Partner Dependent - These guys are great second picks.

Green Lantern, Batgirl, Black Manta, Black Adam, Batman (Crisis), Aquaman (Crisis), Red Tornado (Crisis), Joker (12), Animal Man, Constantine, Mr. Terrific, Joker

Tier 4: Luck Dependent - These guys hope for a good opener to start steam rolling.

Superman, Batman, Hawkman, Black Canary, Nightwing, Booster Gold, Red Robin, Wonder Girl, Superboy, Raven, Stargirl, Wildcat

Tier 5: Underwhelming - It's hard to play these guys, even in their preferred set.

Red Tornado, Blue Beetle, Superman (Crisis), The Flash (Crisis), Martian Manhunter (Crisis), Batgirl (Crisis), Hawkman (Crisis), Batman (9), Joker (9), Swamp Thing, Zatanna Zatara, Robin, Kyle Rayner, Power Girl, Jay Garrick, Alan Scott

Tier 6: Basically Useless - If you pick one of these, we got a problem.

Nightwing (Crisis), Green Lantern (Crisis), Black Canary (Crisis), Booster Gold (Crisis), Star Sapphire, Red Lantern Supergirl

Harley also finally got a shot in the arm for 1-character play. In Teen Titans, her ability triggers whenever you discard an ongoing card from play, so she gets absurd value out of Molecular Vibration, Lady Vic, Detonator, Bumblebee, etc. Then there's also Inertia. It's a great set for her, and in 2-Character, I'm sure she's insane with Beast Boy, in addition to her previous cohorts like Batgirl and Green Arrow.

Absolutely, Harley Quinn seems insane in Teen Titans for that reason, not to mention if your opponent wants to Jinx or Geokinesis you and discard your Ongoing? Draw a card for free.

Let's not even mention Beast Boy and Harley Quinn... my play group uses a banning draft system to select Characters. Harley Quinn and Beast Boy make it past picks and bans to get both? Someone lost their damn minds!

Once I get ahold of Arrow, I'll most likely be posting a similar list for one-character, but Teen Titans has changed a LOT of things about how good a character can be. Most of the Teen expansion-based characters likely won't perform well in other sets due to the lack of the Ongoing mechanic in droves. Only Kid Flash and Beast Boy will really be able to overperform, at least on paper. Characters like Starfire (Teen) will likely suffer however, as her ability is harder to trigger than Green Lantern's in the other 3 expansions.

Sometimes it also has to do with the number of players. Sinestro, for example, is better with more players as his attacks are more likely to hit someone. He's not so good in a one-on-one game. Set also has more to do with it than you're taking into account. Superman and Batman, for example, started out lacking. They perform much better in later sets as the Super Powers and Equipment aren't as must-have as they were in the first set.

In our experience, Deathstroke isn't very good even in Forever Evil. You may have two or three decent turns with him, but that's it. He's not as consistent as some other characters with Power bonuses.

We've played Harley Quinn in several original set games and she just doesn't perform as well as she does in Forever Evil. Not sure why. Lack of cards that cause discarding/passing?

Red Lantern Supergirl is a beast in Forever Evil. Granted, she's a little lacking in other sets and we have yet to use her with Titans, but I wouldn't discount her completely.

Saint Walker is terrible. Even if you get lucky with a few destroys early in the game, his ability is hardly ever used later in the game because your deck is full of cards you don't want to destroy.

I would say The Flash is more luck dependent. Not good or bad, he just really depends on good cards. Gaining a draw Location early makes him a strong contender, but only getting simple draws like Kid Flash and Flight Ring don't really do it.

Although i feel like i dont agree with a few of these tier placements, the only argument ill make for now is superman being luck dependant. I just feel like a character whose ability is beneficial to stacking kicks early can hardly be called "luck". At the very worst possible scenario lets say the only super powers that are available to buy early are kicks, superman is still functional early game until his kicks buy him better cards.

Quote Originally Posted by The4gotNdeath View Post
    Although i feel like i dont agree with a few of these tier placements, the only argument ill make for now is superman being luck dependant. I just feel like a character whose ability is beneficial to stacking kicks early can hardly be called "luck". At the very worst possible scenario lets say the only super powers that are available to buy early are kicks, superman is still functional early game until his kicks buy him better cards.
    His list is base on a 2 superheroes variant... That is u play as both characters instead of one... Those +1 power for each type heroes has less synergy in term of their abilities... Hence lower tiered

Quote Originally Posted by The4gotNdeath View Post
    You are utterly correct on a 1 character style game. He is definitely one of the more universally good super heroes because of his interaction with kicks.

As destroth pointed out, his usefulness doesn't increase with another super hero. It stays about where it is. That being said, I wouldn't make a low tier description synonymous with "luck" as the OP did. Superman actually FORCES you to have good starting turns, for the reasons Ndeath stated. He might be lower tiered in a two hero setup, but he is the opposite of "Tier 4: Luck Dependent - These guys hope for a good opener to start steam rolling." Superman GETS the steam rolling.

I'd be much more interested in seeing LRoq617's single hero list when it comes out. My group used to play with two heroes from time to time, but we quickly learned to abuse all that extra power to the point where the games didn't take long enough to even justify setting the game up in the first place haha it works a little better with impossible super villains, but not much
    Last edited by jakecav18; 07-24-2015 at 04:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jakecav18 View Post
    You are utterly correct on a 1 character style game. He is definitely one of the more universally good super heroes because of his interaction with kicks.

As destroth pointed out, his usefulness doesn't increase with another super hero. It stays about where it is. That being said, I wouldn't make a low tier description synonymous with "luck" as the OP did. Superman actually FORCES you to have good starting turns, for the reasons Ndeath stated. He might be lower tiered in a two hero setup, but he is the opposite of "Tier 4: Luck Dependent - These guys hope for a good opener to start steam rolling." Superman GETS the steam rolling.

I'd be much more interested in seeing LRoq617's single hero list when it comes out. My group used to play with two heroes from time to time, but we quickly learned to abuse all that extra power to the point where the games didn't take long enough to even justify setting the game up in the first place haha it works a little better with impossible super villains, but not much
    Thanks for the props. I have a lot going on these days with GenCon coming up, so it may be a short while. I just picked up Arrow last night, and it's... different. The inherent mechanic of the set is definitely interesting, but I feel it could've benefitted better from a large expansion rather than a 14-card addition to the main deck. I'll have to see how some games go, but as of right now, all 5 characters appear somewhat underpowered compared to characters from other DC sets, at least on paper.

Diggle's ability is sweet, though.

Also, no matter the variant, I honestly don't see how someone like Wildcat can be ranked that low. His draw power is among the best in the game. Not as consistent as someone like Cyborg, mind you, but I'd rank him slightly underneath Indigo-1. He's a very solid above-average character that has plenty of synergy.

And Black Manta, even at Tier 3, is overrated IMO.
    Last edited by LRoq617; 07-24-2015 at 05:40 AM.