Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arena Spider/Mill Deck (can full mill on turn 5)

Arena Spider/Mill Deck (can full mill on turn 5)

I'm determined to try and make a spider/mill deck that can do arena and I'm looking for feedback/suggestions. I don't think it's possible for it to be as efficient as some of the staple arena decks out there like dwarf/robot or ruby orcs but that's not the goal really. The deck as it is now lets me clear the arena pretty easily. I haven't gotten a perfect with it yet but my loses are usually terrible draws for me or god hands for the AI and the dwarf/robot, ruby orcs, and other arena staples have the same bad luck.

I've updated this deck since this post. Details can be found in post #9 in this thread below. Most of what's said here is still relevant I just changed some shards and added Scroll of Yazukan. Here is the new deck:
    http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=26183

This deck can get a full mill on turn 5, though it doesn't happen that often. It's more common to kill the opponent before the full mill happens. Here's a picture of a turn 5 full mill:

http://i.imgur.com/vuUZGol.jpg

The game I full milled on turn 5 was:
    Turn 1 - Blood + Hatchery Priest
    Turn 2 - Sapphire + Psychic Torment + tap Priest
    Turn 3 - Blood + Eremite + Ozin Eremite + tap Priest
    Turn 4 - Zin'Xith Silk Spiders + Fifth Book of D'harsis + Ozin Eremite + tap Priest (probably swung with the Eremite)
    Turn 5 - Zin'Xith Silk Spiders + Trigger Fifth Book of D'harsis and hit the eggs at the bottom of the deck

Finally here's the deck:

http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=26047

Champion: Patriarch Ozin

Troops
    4x Hatchery Priest (Gloves - +1 Spider per egg with priest in play)
    4x Exarch of the Egg
    4x Runeweb Infiltrator (Boots - 3 eggs per hit instead of 2)
    4x Vilefang Eremite
    2x Arachnomancer (Helm - Vennen also trigger card draw)
    2x Xartaxis, Bishop of the Azure Fang (Chest - Unblockable except by artifact/blood)

Spells
    4x Chronic Madness
    4x Lunacy (Trinket - 1 egg per troop buried)
    4x Psychic Torment
    2x Fifth Book of D'harsis
    2x Parriphagy

Resources
    10x Blood Shard
    10x Sapphire Shard
    4x Zin'xith Silk

The overall strategy is:

Step 1: Eggs
    Step 2: Eremite
    Step 3: Ozin the Eremite as much as you can
    Step 4: Trigger mill to win.

With a Hatchery Priest in play each egg is 2 spiders. 2 Spiders on an Ozin buffed Eremite is 2 damage, 2 health, and 2 cards milled per Ozin buff. If you have a Psychic Torment in play that's an additional card milled per spider.

Other fun combos include:
    - Xartaxis creates a spider when he enters play. That's 1 damage, 1 health, and 1+ mill with an Eremite and/or 2 cards with an Arachnomancer.
    - Fifth Book of D'harsis + 20 cards milled + Psychic Torment = 1 card milled which can trigger an egg cascade.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. I'm still not convinced by Chronic Madness having a place in the deck yet though it has helped trigger the mill win a few times. Arachnomancer is also not usually that helpful. I feel like I'm at the refinement stage of this deck I'm just not sure what it needs and what to cut right now.
    Last edited by Unspecified; 07-29-2015 at 11:47 PM.

Devoted Emissary
    Hi,

Your tcgbrowser link is set to private.

I really like this deck, and I will try a slightly modified version of it someday. I think I may try some Ushuls in the place of the Arachnomancers, just for fun.

It's nice to have two win coditions, which helps each other - mill and unblockable spiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Cainhu View Post
    Hi,

Your tcgbrowser link is set to private.

I really like this deck, and I will try a slightly modified version of it someday. I think I may try some Ushuls in the place of the Arachnomancers, just for fun.

It's nice to have two win coditions, which helps each other - mill and unblockable spiders.
    It should be set to public now, sorry about that.

I've tried Ushul's and they do work quite well especially with the Gloves that mill 5 cards when the opponent draws a resource. The biggest problem is that when the opponent naturally draws an egg it doesn't count as a troop or a resource and Ushul's power does nothing. Also it conflicts with the Hatchery Priest Gloves which are incredibly good.

Hey,
    Another spider deck so I'll certainly be giving this one a try. Do you think there's room for Phentao?

Quote Originally Posted by Venris View Post
    Hey,
    Another spider deck so I'll certainly be giving this one a try. Do you think there's room for Phentao?
    I'm sure you could squeeze Phenteo in without much trouble. I'd probably cut the Arachnomancers, Xartaxis, reduce the Chronic Madness or Psychic Torment, or possibly even cut a shard or two. If I had Phenteo I'd be trying to fit him in. I'm starting to consider mono-blood options to get around threshold problems but I'm not sure I can get by without the mill from sapphire.

The Hatchery Priest + Vilefang Eremite + Ozin is really the backbone of this deck I'm trying to build around since I find the 'Mill to Death' combo it produces is endlessly amusing to me (especially when the AI uses card draw to trigger it).

Quote Originally Posted by Unspecified View Post
    The Hatchery Priest + Vilefang Eremite + Ozin is really the backbone of this deck I'm trying to build around since I find the 'Mill to Death' combo it produces is endlessly amusing to me (especially when the AI uses card draw to trigger it).
    I'm giving the deck a few test runs now, and I have to say I love the Eremite + Ozin combo.

I cut the Arachnomancers for 2 copies of Phenteo, seems to be working so far, giving the spider-milling a nasty kick.

You know that kick. I know that kick. Xarlox knows the kick...
    Last edited by Venris; 07-29-2015 at 12:49 PM.

Thanks for posting this - I've not actually succeeded at making a fun Vennen deck on my own, so this one is a breath of fresh air.

Bastardspawn might be fun in this

Quote Originally Posted by Xexist View Post
    Bastardspawn might be fun in this
    I still don't have a Bastardspawn to play with, but I did get my hands on a single Phenteo.

I've made some changes to the deck since I posted it here that I feel improved the deck pretty significantly. The biggest change is Scroll of Yazukan (details at the bottom)

I'm still tinkering with it but here's where I've got it right now:

http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=26183

Champion: Patriarch Ozin

Troops
    4x Hatchery Priest (gloves)
    4x Exarch of the Egg
    4x Runeweb Infiltrator (boots)
    1x Phenteo the Brood Priest (weapon if you have it, I don't)
    4x Vilefang Eremite

Spells
    4x Chronic Madness
    4x Lunacy (trinket)
    4x Psychic Torment
    4x Scroll of Yazukan (alternate trinket, kind of prefer the lunacy trinket)
    2x Fifth Book of D'harsis
    2x Parriphagy

Resources
    8x Blood Shard
    7x Sapphire Shard
    4x Shard of Cunning
    4x Zin'xith Silk

The big changes were:
    Cut Xartaxis
    Cut Arachnomancer
    Cut 3 Blood
    Cut 2 Sapphire
    Added 4 Shard of Cunning
    Added 1 Phenteo
    Added 4 Scroll of Yazukan

The shards of cunning helped with threshold issues I was having. The cut shard (23 total now) was to fit in Phenteo and I was flooding out more than I'd like.

Scrolls of Yazukan is the really big change, and it's a glorious change indeed. With all the mill I'm doing the Scroll of Yazukan pops out a lovely 6/6 crush troop almost every turn (literally every turn because it seems to be bugged, at least with the trinket it doesn't remove counters). That 6/6 crush can push through a lot of damage, block, or mill with either the trinket or a Psychic Torment in play. I also found the Scroll of Yazukan made Xarlox soooo much easier. He milled me, I got a 6/6 out of the deal. I had a match against him where he got all 3 terrorantulas out and I still milled him first :P

The end of the Xarlox match:
    http://imgur.com/HUWpooD

I will update the main post to include the basics of this update.

Sensei of the Wounded Petal
    Wow, that's a definite improvement on any vennen deck I tried. Fantastic synergy between Ozin, the priests and the eremites.

Confirmed that brood baron also doubles terrorantula eggs while trying it out - might be worth including instead of a parriphagy, which is obscenely costed for a removal.

Tendency to lock up when resolving a lot of terrorantulas in a single turn, and the egg bursting animation gets a bit old after you chain 40 of them in a row are the only downsides ;p