Thread: Frost Ring PVE Deck: Turboburn featuring Wrenlocke and Syzygy

Frost Ring PVE Deck: Turboburn featuring Wrenlocke and Syzygy

Hello. I'm relatively new to HEX, having only played for about a month or so. This is a deck that I came up with after looking at Syzygy. I tried to make it PVP, but long story short, it's too inconsistent to work in PVP format. However, it performs well in Arena, capable of perfecting the whole thing.

Basically it uses Archmage Wrenlocke and Syzygy to get a tremendous amount of card damage. Using his breastplate and gloves, Wrenlocke can get rather large and you can clear the field with spells. Secondary win conditions are straight burning the enemy or using Sunsoul Phoenix.

The deck is not as consistent as other decks, but a seemingly poor hand can become explosive as you draw. There are quite a few interactions. Sometimes you can win off the back of a turn 2 Sunsoul Phoenix through Crimson Clarity -> Crimson Clarity -> Any other spell for free bird. Heat Waves work well against the Shin'hare decks and other weenie types. All in all, the deck is a lot of fun. I concede that it's rather expensive to build for a PVE deck, and there are certainly more consistent, faster, decks out there. That being said, the archetype is worth exploring if you're into combo decks.

Without further delay, the deck.

Champion: Benvolio

Troops
    4x Thunderfield Seer
    4x Archmage Wrenlocke (with Gloves and Chest)
    4x Sunsoul Phoenix

Spells
    4x Arcane Focus
    4x Burn
    3x Syzygy
    4x Crackling Bolt
    4x Crimson Clarity
    4x Heat Wave
    4x Ragefire

Resources
    8x Ruby Shard
    13x Sapphire Shard

A lot of my thoughts on it can be found in the Reddit thread for it.

Reddit Thread

phenomenalcosmicpower.jpg
    Last edited by Jiggledong; 08-03-2015 at 06:29 PM.

I've been exploring a ruby/sapphire similar in nature, as well as a sapphire/blood (mill), a sapphire/diamond (life), and I'll be looking at a sapphire/green creature deck again in a similar vein.
    Nice to see other people are thinking about that card synergy as well!
    I'll try to post my ideas in the next few days.

Quick note: have you thought about kindling skarn with helm in here, or salt harpy?
    I think both would also have good synergy here.

Salt Harpy would probably be fine. Originally I was dismissive of of Kindling Skarn, but that was when I was trying to make the PVP version. In PVE, Kindling Skarn should be fine as well as Salt Harpy due to how dense the AI can be.

The denser your troop count the harder it is to continue chaining spells. Originally I ran only Sunsoul and Wrenlocke, but adding Thunderfields as chumps and for more cantrip. I've experimented with Thunderfield Elder. It worked fine, but I cut him for the Heat Waves.

The Archetype is on the verge of being PVP, but it works fine in PVE.
    Last edited by Jiggledong; 08-03-2015 at 07:21 PM.

I switched out the Seers for Skarns - I think Skarns generating an action (if you have the equipment) could speed the deck up slightly.
    Two more observations as I try the deck out:
    1) Shards could be a bit more balanced - I ran into 9 sapphire and only one ruby, no claritys. 5 double threshold ruby cards in hand, including phoenix. Maybe even some of the dual-shard lands?
    2) If you keep the heavy sapphire shard count, maybe go for the double sapphire draw champion - one more charge, but could be smoother overall.

All in all, though, it's a fun deck to play.
    Last edited by Pariahzkope; 08-03-2015 at 07:18 PM.

I adjusted the deck a bit and even though they're small changes, it's now largely more consistent. Turn 4-5 kills are fairly often.

Champion: Benvolio

Troops
    4x Archmage Wrenlocke (with Gloves and Chest)
    4x Sunsoul Phoenix
    3x Kindling Skarn

Spells
    4x Arcane Focus
    4x Burn
    3x Syzygy
    4x Crackling Bolt
    3x Crackling Wit
    4x Crimson Clarity
    3x Heat Wave
    4x Ragefire

Resources
    10x Ruby Shard
    14x Sapphire Shard

Thinking about adding a second Kindling Skarn. Thanks for the suggestions.

This new version actually does o.k. in PVP. It can be surprisingly explosive, and a lot of the time they don't know what you're doing.
    Last edited by Jiggledong; 08-04-2015 at 03:11 PM.