Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Streaming Privacy?

So if you are playing a game in real life do you wear a mask so no one knows who you are? Do you ask your opponent to play you in a dark room so no one can see you?

That fact that people see the name of your account and zero personal information is really not something to be upset about.

What is it exactly you are scared of?

Main thing is probably people calling OP out on "bad plays" and critiquing on stream. But that happens in person too at a card shop, they just do it behind your back. Only if you're arrogant about yourself though. People usually forget both online or in person.
    Last edited by Axle; 08-14-2015 at 06:29 AM.

Wouldn't being called out for you bad plays on stream be a good thing. You could then watch it after and learn from your mistakes.

I have been on both sides of this, and all I can say is this: streaming is entertainment. The streamers have as little choice in who they are matched with as you have. But a streamer has a lot of people they would be letting down by stopping the stream, where you only risk looking vaguely silly if you misplay (and if you had ever watched a Hex stream you have probably seen a punt emote in chat, which means the streamers get 'blasted' over every misstep.)

If you play this game, don't expect privacy if you are in a game, or talking in any of the general chats. But also keep in mind that you are only a name to anyone watching a stream, and punting is a way of life to them - you have no reason to be neurotic about looking good or bad, because the viewers are going to forget five minutes later anyway.

In fact, for me, I have had several occasions where beating a streamer has left me feeling quite guilty. I still feel bad for destroying the dream when Neo had that amazing Reginald deck. From amazing entertainment to a sour end, no-one can feel good about that.
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png

I was happy to have a featured match in the diamond cup. Like others have said, I was able to watch it back and listen to the casters commenting on my play. There were a few times I confused them with my choices because of a poor decision on my part and I was able to improve my play because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenavire View Post
    In fact, for me, I have had several occasions where beating a streamer has left me feeling quite guilty. I still feel bad for destroying the dream when Neo had that amazing Reginald deck. From amazing entertainment to a sour end, no-one can feel good about that.
    Dreams wouldn't be worth dreaming if there wasn't fair chance they would be crushed.

The only thing I don't like about playing a streamer is the worry they'll think I'm screen watching even if I'm not. Almost makes me paranoid to make the best plays sometimes - should I play around a card I deduce or fear to be in their hand, when if that card actually is in their hand it might be seen as evidence of stream sniping to the people watching?

Quote Originally Posted by Showsni View Post
    The only thing I don't like about playing a streamer is the worry they'll think I'm screen watching even if I'm not. Almost makes me paranoid to make the best plays sometimes - should I play around a card I deduce or fear to be in their hand, when if that card actually is in their hand it might be seen as evidence of stream sniping to the people watching?
    The only time anyone suspects sniping is when the opponent manages to play around something completely unexpected (like a legendary in draft that just happens to be in the streamers hand.)

Making the best plays with what is visible to you is completely normal.
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png

The last time this came up a bunch of posters sided with the streamers. I like the streamers and have watched from time to time, does that obligate me to help them earn money? While the idea of being a streamed opponent in a normal draft does not really bother me, I find the notion that I must help a streamer earn revenue or access/prestige etc by playing Hex with them more than a little ludicrous. Some people are simply not interested in the streaming entertainment. Hopefully people consider this.

Yes I know not all the streamers are twitch partners, the point stands. Since I do not care enough to actually argue about this I will bow out now.

Don't random PG opponents appear as their champion name instead of in-game name? Seems like that system can be expanded to tournaments.