Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Frost Arena : The terrible design decisions

my problem with arena right now is that it's obviously designed with player classes and abilities in mind, it's too powerful for most decks to survive in it. (I'd argue the only deck that is arena capable right now is Rush orcs) the drops are ok now that they added dust to it, and I'm sure crafting will let me mill these dead equipments into consumables.

Robots crushes too. And gets around warbot.

Gigantisaur
    Quote Originally Posted by HaemishM View Post
    I totally agree with the original poster about War Bot and Xarlox - these are both horrible, lazy-design encounters that reduce the game to an utter random roll of the dice. Both bosses can board wipe with almost no effort and there is absolutely no counter for it. Even burn/rush decks might not work because of how quickly some of the board wipe conditions can escalate.
    Not true. I've recently been playing with Yazukan-themed decks a lot and found that these are a good counter to mill/Xarlox (not Warbot though, as he voids).
    I've stomped Xarlox several times using such decks because any cards he mills either come back from the dead, or add excessive counters to Scroll of Yazukan such that I'm bringing out a 6/6 crush each turn.
    Sure, he can still RNG you, but it's become a highly enjoyable deck for the whole of arena.

Master Theorycrafter
    There are plenty of arena capable decks beyond orcs :/

Where the heck do you get a statement like that from.

Quote Originally Posted by WWKnight View Post
    There are plenty of arena capable decks beyond orcs :/

Where the heck do you get a statement like that from.
    This.

Ruby Orcs and Dwarf Weenies are just the most commonly used, most efficient, fastest, and also rather relatively cheap options, especially if you went with either of those starters. A number of decks can reliably clear the arena, but usually slower and more expensively.
    For example, I can consistently clear with a lifegain deck based around Paladins (necropolis & righteous) but it takes twice as long as my Dwarf deck.

Devoted Emissary
    The storm cloud deck from the recent convocation packs rolls both these two very nicely. Xarlox pretty much straight up loses to a single cloud king, and you can usually get warbot the same way - just sacrifice everything early, and you can use your stormlings to kill your other elementals in response to him using his power so they all come back when you play and sac the cloud king.

Life gain decks work pretty well against both encounters (spearcliff cloudknight + equipment is really good against both). Anything that tunnels is good against them both, so are troops with speed. Titania's also works well.

I don't really like the design of either encounter, but there are many, many decks that can go perfect against the arena, including beating those two most of the time.

Gigantisaur
    Yep ^

I will also add that I've had huge success with complete runs using some nice prophecy decks too. Coyotles can get out of hand quite quickly. It's a lot slower than ruby rush of course, but it's fun and different.

Master Theorycrafter
    That's the thing. If you stop speed running through arena, it can be fun to brew new decks just for the hell of it.

Sadly, since set three the AI has just been completely dumbed down. I had endless enjoyment of running through before.

Gigantisaur
    Quote Originally Posted by WWKnight View Post
    That's the thing. If you stop speed running through arena, it can be fun to brew new decks just for the hell of it.

Sadly, since set three the AI has just been completely dumbed down. I had endless enjoyment of running through before.
    I'm gonna argue it hasn't be dumbed down, I think there have been numerous changes that have altered its behaviour such that it is currently in some weird intermediate stage that makes it appear dumb whereas in fact it is just going through some evolutionarily-necessary valley...

Master Theorycrafter
    Oh, its definitely not intentionally dumbed down.

Something that was fixed is now broke. I don't think this was a decision that was made, for sure.