Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Value of Set 3

The uncommons in set 3 sell for shit too. In set 1 and 2 1/3rd to 1/2 of the uncommons sold for > 11p, and all but one or two sold for >=1000g. In set 3, almost none sell for >11p and most sell for <1000g. It really cuts into ones ability to go infinite in draft. I can only guess it's because of people cracking a ton more packs via gauntlet and the few QoL improvements to the AH.

I really think it's just supply and demand. It happens in other card games too when a hyped set comes out, everyone opens more booster than they normally would, leading to no one actually "needing" to buy much after the fact. Just look at set 1/2 cards/boosters. Cards price increased and booster went from 140p to 180p. Imo if you feel the value is bad, it would prob be a good idea to hold on to some stock boosters for later.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    Which uncommons are you referring to? Let's look at some of the more popular ones for one of the most popular arena decks:

war machinist: 53p average, 4.4k gold average (44p)
    Electroid: 85p average, 7k gold average (70p)
    Mimeobot: 54p average, 4.4k gold average (44p)

So far you are taking a significant loss selling in gold, let alone doubling or tripling your profit.

Anyway, if you are buying packs for plat, you may only be interested in selling the contents for plat. That's not to say you should discount selling for gold instead of plat, sometimes for whatever reason you *can* get a better price, but it's clearly false to say that uncommons normally sell for 3x their plat price in gold.
    market floor ones sell for 2-3x their price in gold (commons uncommons) you're listing highly trafficked cards, when the reality is (having literally just tried to finish my set of commons and uncommons) that there are less tread cards that sell in gold for higher then the plat rate to people who can't/won't do exchanges. These aren't high volume, but there aren't playsets on the market for a lot of commons and uncommons when I was looking.

also your conversions aren't at hexprice gold rate (which is far higher then the real /trade rate 80-85 right now)

uh.. thanks for wasting our time?

the simple answer is that the game is so small the market can be controlled for a relatively small amount of money, but 3's card production is too high right now to be artificially controlled in most cases, so it's going to be in line with what cards would cost on MTGO if packs sold for $2.

in magic the saying goes that breaking packs open is foolhardy as you will never get a return on your investment. packs cost $4, and the chasest "legendary" right now is $20. Hex has a higher rare/legendary per pack bought rate due to primals, and awards other content and cards in chests worth money. magic also has a much higher tournament prize pool, and decades of proven resale backing their cards values.

The market is the way it is for 1/2 (and even 3 to some extent) because it's manipulated that way, and there isn't enough people playing to produce the correct market rate for singles based on pack price and rarity (its more then double what it should be mathematically)

Arena spiked a lot of prices and I expect dungeons will do the same. Not only will the player base increase, new decks will be brewed for each dungeon and the corresponding cards will spike.

What were those commons and uncommons going for before arena?

Another factor is that we will be playing with set 3 for awhile. So there really is no rush to complete your olayset.

Quote Originally Posted by thereck View Post
    market floor ones sell for 2-3x their price in gold (commons uncommons) you're listing highly trafficked cards, when the reality is (having literally just tried to finish my set of commons and uncommons) that there are less tread cards that sell in gold for higher then the plat rate to people who can't/won't do exchanges. These aren't high volume, but there aren't playsets on the market for a lot of commons and uncommons when I was looking.
    Ah, so your statement that all uncommons sell for more gold than platwas incorrect, and you MEANT to say that uncommons at the price floor sell for more for gold than plat. This could be true, but they are still functionally valueless.

I've already outlined why I think it is not only not worth people's time to try to sell items at the market floor, but actively detrimental to the long term health of your collection. You're better off holding onto those and selling them when a new deck that makes use of them is all the rage.

also your conversions aren't at hexprice gold rate
    It was when I posted it.

(which is far higher then the real /trade rate 80-85 right now)

Nope, it's at 90 now. Must have changed since you posted. I'm not sure you are aware, but it does that.