Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 47

Thread: Value of Set 3

  1. #1

    Value of Set 3

    I am interested as to why the value of Set 3 is significantly lower than previous sets? I am basing this on the average primal price per hexprice.com.

    Few money legendaries? Meta has not caught up to the new cards? People not as big of fan of the new cards? More sets in circulation = less value for the newer sets? Back to back events causing large influx of cards?

  2. #2
    Less demand I guess. You already have most of the cards for most decks from the first 2 sets.

  3. #3
    the rate of opening packs (increasing card supply) is much higher with the new formats

  4. #4
    Master Theorycrafter
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    843
    Im going to assume the introduction of the Gauntlet has a role to play as well. Less people cracked as many packs before, cause it was cheaper to buy singles.

    With the sealed gauntlet, there is now an incentive to open your own packs and thus chance upon cards you need.

  5. #5
    I think the incredibly large number of junk rares and legendaries also plays a role. More rares than ever before are sitting on the price floor, and get passed all the way around the table in draft. There are only a small handful of "money" cards in the set, and the relatively lower quality of everything else in the set vs. previous sets pushes the overall value of packs and the set down.
    --ossuary

    "Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
    - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well

  6. #6
    Gigantisaur
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,311
    Quote Originally Posted by WWKnight View Post
    Im going to assume the introduction of the Gauntlet has a role to play as well. Less people cracked as many packs before, cause it was cheaper to buy singles.

    With the sealed gauntlet, there is now an incentive to open your own packs and thus chance upon cards you need.
    On that note, I'd love to hear some stats on Sealed Gauntlet since it released. I'm not sure we'll get them though (unless the numbers were uber impressive, which I hope they are -- I still fire into a match after <20 seconds it seems, so surely that's a good sign).

  7. #7
    Gigantisaur
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,311
    Quote Originally Posted by ossuary View Post
    I think the incredibly large number of junk rares and legendaries also plays a role. More rares than ever before are sitting on the price floor, and get passed all the way around the table in draft. There are only a small handful of "money" cards in the set, and the relatively lower quality of everything else in the set vs. previous sets pushes the overall value of packs and the set down.
    Hope this doesn't sound like a dumb question (HEX is my first real TCG experience; causal DotP on Steam only card experience before, plus a handful of paper mtg with friends), but do you think this was an intentional design decision for this set? I.e. because limited is 3-3-3 and then presumably 4-4-3 later, it's a sort of reset for this set to prevent power creep etc?
    (I understand I could be talking crap here...)

  8. #8
    It's not a dumb question at all.

    Avoiding power creep is potentially part of it, but I think it's more a case of this set being the "setup" for the chapter (group of sets). Set 1 was also a "setup" set, but it was way, way larger, so having a handful of cards that aren't so hot right now but will go great with cards from the next set wasn't as big of a deal. In Set 3, it's a much smaller card pool, so those "useless right now" cards are more prominent and hurtful to the set's value (see: Slaughtergear's Innovation with only 9 artifacts in the whole set, and similar scenarios).

    Once Set 4 comes out, hopefully we will see the point of a lot of these cards that seem like a complete waste of space and the bane of drafters everywhere right now.
    --ossuary

    "Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
    - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well

  9. #9
    Gigantisaur
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,311
    Quote Originally Posted by ossuary View Post
    It's not a dumb question at all.

    Avoiding power creep is potentially part of it, but I think it's more a case of this set being the "setup" for the chapter (group of sets). Set 1 was also a "setup" set, but it was way, way larger, so having a handful of cards that aren't so hot right now but will go great with cards from the next set wasn't as big of a deal. In Set 3, it's a much smaller card pool, so those "useless right now" cards are more prominent and hurtful to the set's value (see: Slaughtergear's Innovation with only 9 artifacts in the whole set, and similar scenarios).

    Once Set 4 comes out, hopefully we will see the point of a lot of these cards that seem like a complete waste of space and the bane of drafters everywhere right now.
    Awesome, thank you

  10. #10
    Devoted Emissary
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    125
    There's been A LOT of Set 3 opened and there, really, are only 5-6 chase rare/legendary cards in the set

    To me this is what the market SHOULD look like, normal cards, even legendary ones, costing over $20 in a game where the boosters are $2 shouldn't happen and there was a point you could make cash simply by cracking packs but the laws of supply and demand played a very significant role in Set 1 & 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •