Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Peri into something without getting priority is unfun :(

Changing the kind of interactions you are mentioning would be a major design change in the game, and well outside the scope of " Peri into something without getting priority is unfun". I think you are bringing up a whole other subject (which most people do not find broken).

I just gave a possible solution to the problem being asked about, that's all. (I do not think the 2 need to be linked)

This is the way priority and non-targeted abilities works in Hex so it does not seem unfair because we know in advance that is how things should work. It does make non-targeted abilities very powerful though, and I feel Hex developers should take this more into account when balancing cards. It would also really help to clear up these discussions if we had an official ruleset instead of the rules just being whatever the client enforces.
    Last edited by Bmon; 08-21-2015 at 11:11 AM.

Peri

To answer the question,

Is it unfair ? No.
    But is Peri is broken, yes because of priority...
    Last edited by Philip070380; 08-21-2015 at 11:26 PM.

The real interesting part is that this interaction exactly contradicts their decision (to remove) on the ability to retain priority at "quick" speed by holding control. This Periwinkle effect demonstrates exactly that the active player retains priority after playing something. Holding control used to let you do this, but they removed it while leaving this sort of thing in. Bring back hold priority!
    Last edited by Malakili; 08-21-2015 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Clarity

Quote Originally Posted by Malakili View Post
    The real interesting part is that this interaction exactly contradicts the ability to retain priority at "quick" speed by holding control. This Periwinkle effect demonstrates exactly that the active player retains priority after playing something. Holding control used to let you do this, but they removed it while leaving this sort of thing in. Bring back hold priority!
    It's not contradictory, it's actually complimentary. However, this has a lot more to do with rules and game mechanics, than it has to do with streamlining the game.

Sorry, to be clear it contradicts their decision to remove that ability to hold priority, my wording was bad.

I believe this is working as intended. Didn't they have an explicit ruling that automatic card/troop effects that don't have to have a target don't go on the chain?

Paladin of the Necropolis's ability doesn't go on the chain, neither does Righteous Paladin, Shin'hare Eulogist, or Profane Ritualist's.

Should they all be changed?
    Collector Tier - I am out of my mind spending this much on a Kickstarter. You better be good, Hex!

This isn't a question of the chain, it's not being able to, say, cast murder on Perwinkle before the opponent has the chance to cast a "basic" speed card. But yes, it is working as intended and is fine. Now bring back the ability to hold priority so that quick speed works the same way.

Devoted Emissary
    Quote Originally Posted by BenRGamer View Post
    I believe this is working as intended. Didn't they have an explicit ruling that automatic card/troop effects that don't have to have a target don't go on the chain?

Paladin of the Necropolis's ability doesn't go on the chain, neither does Righteous Paladin, Shin'hare Eulogist, or Profane Ritualist's.

Should they all be changed?
    Correct, they have a precise rule about that.

For more information, and to discuss this issue further (as opposed to specifically Periwinkle), may I suggest adding ones' two cents to the "Revisiting Design Philosophy - Triggered Abilities and the Chain" forum thread?

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=45512

However... I don't actually think, even if this rule were to be changed, that Periwinkle would function any differently under the vast majority of cases. "Playing" a card is the same in MTG as "Casting" a card, if I'm not mistaken. As in, 'the act of putting a card's resolution on the stack' triggers some effect.

Since there's no way to actively suppress an effect from going off (and destroying Periwinkle certainly wouldn't work), I'm not sure how 'changing' it so Periwinkle's ability uses the stack like targeted effects do would actually change the card functionally in any way. (The forum linked does talk about cases where this ruling does effect play)
    Last edited by Yewstance; 08-22-2015 at 06:43 AM.
    TL;DR: Man criticizes things. Rambling ensues.

http://sigs.enjin.com/sig/enjin-4368...tance-gray.png

Devoted Emissary
    Quote Originally Posted by Malakili View Post
    This isn't a question of the chain, it's not being able to, say, cast murder on Perwinkle before the opponent has the chance to cast a "basic" speed card. But yes, it is working as intended and is fine. Now bring back the ability to hold priority so that quick speed works the same way.
    Ah, right, I'd been looking at it the wrong way. This is similar to the Storm Cloud and playing a shard case. Another bit of debatable design, but not a question as to how the chain works, just about how priority works, as you said.
    TL;DR: Man criticizes things. Rambling ensues.

http://sigs.enjin.com/sig/enjin-4368...tance-gray.png