Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tournament Ruling Clarifications

So my locals is running a tournament and to make it easy for our players to know rulings before making an unfortunately misinformed mistake, I've created a list of rules to assist players beforehand.

Can a CZE game designer take a look thru these and confirm their legitimacy? All have been taken directly from the forums, but I want to get a nod from someone on them once more. If all are legit and found to be true to the rules laid out by CZE, maybe it could get a sticky for players to check before posting a ruling question.

Ruling Clarifications

- Character card effects do not trigger if they were not face-up during the window of their effect’s triggering. This ruling refers to the Captain Cold [Super-Villain] First Appearance.

- The Shazam! [Character] effect does not require the player to reveal the card he has gained if placing it on the top of his deck. A player may reveal the gained card to provide proof for effects. This ruling also applies to Teleportation (Super Power).
    >Ex. Buying a Villain and revealing it for Wonder Woman [Character] end of turn effect.

- Green Arrow [Character] effect applies to Villains in the Line-Up in regards to buying them.

- When a First Appearance – Attack from any Nemesis card is not avoided, the player must resolve the attack to the best of his capability. In the event that the attack cannot fully be resolved, the player must reveal any information (deck, hand, discard pile, etc.) that is pertinent to prove the attack cannot resolve entirely.

- When using any effect of a Character card, the player using the effect must provide proof that the effect being activated is legitimate
    >Ex. A player must reveal the card they are placing at the bottom of their deck for the Zatanna Zatara [Character] effect.

- Star Sapphire Power Ring will trigger the draw effect if either card is a Weakness, as they do not have a card type, therefore they cannot share a card type with any other card, even Weakness.

- Hero of the Future puts a condition on the field that now checks for any previously played or future played Defense cards and will apply its effect accordingly. Cards with similar wording apply the same ruling.

- The Dark Knight and Catwoman card effect synergy refers to a card that was bought or gained prior to both cards fully resolving. Furthermore a card that is bought or gained during each turn keeps this characteristic until it moves to a new zone other than the discard pile.

- Nemesis First Appearance – Attacks resolve in turn order based on the upcoming turn player as the first to be attacked. That player chooses to use a Defense or resolve the attack against them before any other player makes any actions. If the Nemesis Attack specifically requires all eligible players to simultaneously resolve the successful attack, then it does not do so until all players have made their decision of Defending or not.

- Characters are not considered cards when activating or resolving effects that specify a “card”.
    >Ex. The Flash [Character] refers to the first time a card draws, cannot be triggered by the Cyborg [Character] effect.

- The Brainiac [Super-Villain] and Brainiac [Super-Villain Impossible Mode] will return the revealed played cards to the owner’s hand at the end of the active player’s turn.

- While a card is being played it is no longer considered to be in the zone it was previously located and will not return to that zone unless the card or ruling says otherwise until every card has fully resolved properly.
    >Ex. X-Ray Vision targets a Starro, the next card is revealed to be X-Ray Vision which will then reveal the next card on top of the deck, X-Ray Vision is then placed on top, followed by Starro.

- Card effects and Character effects that refer to Super-Villain or Super-Hero Nemesis cards refer to both Super-Villain and Super-Hero Nemesis cards.

- If Player 1 has The Flash [Character] and Player 2 has The Flash Crisis [Character] or vice verse, the game will return to randomized initiative for going first regardless of any other rules present.

- Cards that are played throughout the turn can only be copied via cards such as Clayface [Villain] that specifically references a played card if that card in question is currently in the “played” zone.
    >Ex. Bane [Character] effect destroys a Kick, Clayface cannot choose that Kick to copy.

- Cards that have left the field of common knowledge (Line-Up, Destroyed Pile, Played Area, Discard Piles) will not be affected by cards or effects that will further manipulate the card
    >Ex. Batman [Super-Hero] plays Man-Bat Serum while he has 10 VPs, Man-Bat Serum will not be destroyed as it will be placed on the bottom of the Main Deck via Batman’s effect prior to destroying itself, and thus it has left the areas of common knowledge.

- Cards that remain in a common knowledge area will be affected by cards or effects that manipulate that card.
    >Ex. Braniac [Super-Villain] reveals a Kick, which is then destroyed using Black Adam [Character] effect, the Kick will then return to the owner’s hand as per Brainiac’s effect.

- The Power Ring [Equipment] (DC Deck Building Game) and Power Ring [Villain] (Forever Evil) are considered to be Power Rings for the effect of Kyle Rayner [Hero] and in determining victory point totals for the “Color” Power Rings [Equipment](Heroes Unite).

- Granny Goodness and Emerald Knight both cause the card being played to be moved to the in-play until the end of turn.

- Unless stated otherwise, card effects only persist until the end of turn.
    >Ex. Eclipso [Super-Villain] has you gain the text of all in-play Character cards until end of turn.

- Doctor Fate [Character] can only use each card once per effect to trigger.
    >Ex. Cards with cost 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 are played. Player gets +2 Power and 1 draw.

- Jericho [Hero] cannot use the effects of a Character card that is face-down.

- Any card underneath a Character card or The Colony [Location] are not counted towards VP and instead are destroyed at end game.
    >This does not include cards placed under Characters by Atrocitus [Nemesis]

- Kid Flash [Character] can trigger his effect multiple times within the same card effect.

- If Swamp Thing [Character] “controls” The Colony via his effect, any card placed underneath it with its effect is then placed under The Colony regardless of current zone.

- When playing a Best 2 out of 3 match, Superboy Prime’s [Super-Villain] effect that allows you to replace your current Character with another, does allow you to interact with any Character that is currently banned. Furthermore, only the original Character picked during the Character Pick/Ban Phase of the game will be considered banned for future games. All Character cards introduced into the game via Superboy Prime’s effect are not banned and not considered picked, thus remain in the zone they were in prior to the game starting (Banned or Character Pool). You may however not use Characters that are banned prior to the beginning of a match.
    >Ex. Cyborg Crisis and Shazam! Crisis cannot be obtained with Superboy Prime's effect.

- Jericho [Hero] Attack only selects one Character card that an opponent is using.

- Cards that intentionally cause “disruption” for your opponent such as Match [Villain] and Broadsword [Equipment] are the only cards that do not return any affected card to its origin zone. Cards that do not fall among the above styled cards, will return any affected card to its origin zone of the opponent, provided the card is currently in a common knowledge zone.
    Last edited by MStreva89; 08-21-2015 at 02:23 PM.

Reserved for future ruling clarifications.

Where did you get the rulings for Superboy Prime with banned cards and Jericho in a two-headed? They both are incorrect.

Banning a character only removes it from the initial pool. They can be grabbed by any other game effects.

Jericho only makes you choose a player. You won't choose which of their oversized powers to gain until after they have defended.
    Nathaniel Yamaguchi
    CZE Playtester & Designer

Quote Originally Posted by aoineko View Post
    Where did you get the rulings for Superboy Prime with banned cards and Jericho in a two-headed? They both are incorrect.

Banning a character only removes it from the initial pool. They can be grabbed by any other game effects.

Jericho only makes you choose a player. You won't choose which of their oversized powers to gain until after they have defended.
    I asked about Superboy Prime a while back, and before one of you guys could answer, there was a bit of discussion in the thread about how people thought the characters should be ineligible. In that mindset, I think the mistake that was made (it's the mistake I made until I was about to hit "submit" on this post) was that Matt's one word "Yes" reply was read as if I had asked if the characters would be ineligible. I had to re-read it to realize that what I asked wasn't if they were not okay to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Hyra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GuruGuru214 View Post
    Second, in the "Ultra-Competitive Super Hero Draft" variant, would the cards chosen to be removed from the game during the draft phase be eligible for Superboy Prime's effect?
    Yes

The Superboy Prime ruling was decided by our play group as soon as we saw the card in Teen Titans, to avoid abusing his effect to snatch up powerful Characters that were banned. However if you're saying otherwise, I'm not gonna go against one of the driving forces of the game. I did edit the ruling I put, however in our tournament setting, Cyborg Crisis and Shazam! Crisis are not allowed due to the extremely overpowered ability and therefore cannot be used via Superboy Prime. That ok?

Quote Originally Posted by MStreva89 View Post
    - When playing a Best 2 out of 3 match, Superboy Prime’s [Super-Villain] effect that allows you to replace your current Character with another, does allow you to interact with any Character that is currently banned. Furthermore, only the original Character picked during the Character Pick/Ban Phase of the game will be considered banned for future games. All Character cards introduced into the game via Superboy Prime’s effect are not banned and not considered picked, thus remain in zone they were in prior to the game starting (Banned or Character Pool). You may however not use Characters that are banned prior to the beginning of a match.

I think there was a misunderstanding somewhere between a ruling and our play group, so I'll definitely fix that.

Everything else good? Anything else you would have us mention?
    Last edited by MStreva89; 08-21-2015 at 02:15 PM.

Superboy Prime should only grab competitive Super Heroes. If you want to house rule including Crisis Heroes, go for it, but that's not the intent.
    Nathaniel Yamaguchi
    CZE Playtester & Designer

We play with Crisis Characters as well since they expand the competitive play capabilities. But thank you Nathaniel.
    Last edited by MStreva89; 08-22-2015 at 06:16 AM.

- While a card is being played it is no longer considered to be in the zone it was previously located and will not return to that zone unless the card or ruling says otherwise until every card has fully resolved properly.
    >Ex. X-Ray Vision targets a Starro, the next card is revealed to be X-Ray Vision which will then reveal the next card on top of the deck, X-Ray Vision is then placed on top, followed by Starro.
    So the turn sequence is:
    1. X-Ray Vision: Reveal Starro off Player B's deck and Punch off Player C's deck. Choose to play Starro, gets moved from the top of Player B's deck and into your play zone (has not returned to top of player's deck yet); Player C's punch is put back.
    2. Starro: Discards the top card of player's decks; an X-Ray Vision off Player B's deck and a Punch off Player C's deck (Starro has not returned to the top of the deck yet).
    3. X-Ray Vision (Player B's deck) and Punch (Player C's deck): Reveal Punch off Player B's deck and Player C's deck. Play Punch.
    4. X-Ray Vision (from Player B's deck) finishes resolving the Punch off Player B's deck, return the Punch to the top of Player B's deck and Player C's deck (X-Ray Vision from Player B's deck was discarded by Starro earlier and does not return).
    5. The original X-Ray Vision you played finishes resolving and that Starro gets returned to the top of the deck.

Is this right? It took me a while to get the phrasing of your ruling, but I want to make sure I'm understanding it correctly!

Sorry for double post, but just to clarify Doctor Fate.

- Doctor Fate [Character] can only use each card once per effect to trigger.
    >Ex. Cards with cost 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 are played. Player gets +2 Power and 1 draw.
    I believe you get power for playing 2-3, 3-4, 4-5, 5-6 (+4 Power) and draw for playing 2-3-4, 3-4-5, 4-5-6 (Draw 3).

For reference, a post by Matt

Quote Originally Posted by unLimitedEnds View Post
    So the turn sequence is:
    1. X-Ray Vision: Reveal Starro off Player B's deck and Punch off Player C's deck. Choose to play Starro, gets moved from the top of Player B's deck and into your play zone (has not returned to top of player's deck yet); Player C's punch is put back.
    2. Starro: Discards the top card of player's decks; an X-Ray Vision off Player B's deck and a Punch off Player C's deck (Starro has not returned to the top of the deck yet).
    3. X-Ray Vision (Player B's deck) and Punch (Player C's deck): Reveal Punch off Player B's deck and Player C's deck. Play Punch.
    4. X-Ray Vision (from Player B's deck) finishes resolving the Punch off Player B's deck, return the Punch to the top of Player B's deck and Player C's deck (X-Ray Vision from Player B's deck was discarded by Starro earlier and does not return).
    5. The original X-Ray Vision you played finishes resolving and that Starro gets returned to the top of the deck.

Is this right? It took me a while to get the phrasing of your ruling, but I want to make sure I'm understanding it correctly!
    Looks right to me.
    Matt Hyra
    Cryptozoic R&D