Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 26 of 26

Thread: Adapting 5E D&D to Entrath

  1. #21
    High Tomb Lord
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Wandering Howling Plains
    Posts
    1,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Audens View Post
    I would say that most of the art is ambiguous as to whether the Vennen can climb walls and ceilings or they use their spinnerets to accomplish a similar effect, and I don't think it's been conclusively stated in the lore whether Dwarves need to eat, sleep,or breathe.

    Even if you were right on all counts, there's no need to be rude. No adaptation is going to be perfect, and I would much rather someone put in the time and effort to create an imperfect adaptation than refrain from doing so because they're not sure they have the lore 100% correct. Doubly so if they're actively seeking additional input and knowledge.
    Well I didn't intend to be rude I just felt like from his psts he was jumping the gun. I could've sworn I put a I don't wanna be rude or something in my last post but I guess I only thought I did.. And I feel like if their striders they should walk on walls right? Also while no they've not told us they don't eat I just don't see them having any rational reason to eat I mean their stone... o.O (though everyone but me hearing a teapot in that Pan is a hint maybe they do)

    Quote Originally Posted by Aradon View Post
    I wouldn't say I haven't looked that much into the lore. I just don't think we know things as conclusively as you say. It's true I haven't checked every piece of art, but as Audens says, if I do recall correctly, the Vennen cards don't exactly confirm that they can climb walls. The hanging pictures of Vennen for the most part could be hanging from spinnerets, or could be limited to web-covered surfaces. And I definitely don't think that we can conclude that dwarves don't eat or sleep just based off of stone bodies. Though I wouldn't be surprised if there were flavor text somewhere saying as much.

    I understand a fair bit of the lore, but I'm asking because there may be pieces of art I haven't recalled, or flavor text I haven't memorized that someone else has, or because a Hex team member might pop in and clarify things. It's always possible I've missed something, there's a lot of canon material out there already.
    Oh it's fine I sometimes kinda jump at people but you seem to be doing a better job then me I'm not good at mechanics.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOBLERooster
    Ozawa You Lore Hound!
    IGN: OzawaWanderer

    http://i.imgur.com/fro8laQ.png

  2. #22
    The Transcended
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    7,860
    Well, the dwarf villain drinks. Maybe he doesn't NEED to for survival, but clearly he CAN if desired. Therefore we can say dwarves MIGHT need to eat and drink despite being made of stone.

    Also, posting in this forum to ask for lore help should be encouraged, not crapped on.

  3. #23
    This is a cool project! I was dubious of 5th edition when it was first announced, but I am now totally sold. It's a stripped-down version of 3.5, tossing out rules that just weren't fun (such as firing into melee).

    I prefer to deceive myself that 4th edition never existed.

    In any case, since people were asking about lifespans, I'll just leave this here:

    LIFESPAN

    Most beings in the world of Entrath die from war, accidents, infections, or misadventure long before reaching old age. For the lucky few who manage to survive to senior citizenhood, each of the player races has a "natural" life span.

    The maximum age for an average member of the player races are the following:

    Elves: 1000 years
    Dwarves: 500 years
    Orcs/Vennen: 200 years (note: it is extremely rare for either of these races to die of old age)
    Humans/Coyotle: 80 years
    Shin'hare: 40 years
    Necrotic: unknown

  4. #24
    The Transcended
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    7,860
    Thanks for the tips! Dang, now you made me want to check out 5th ed. I had completely sworn off DND after 4E came out and ruined everything I ever liked about the game. (OK, so it wasn't quite that bad, but it was close.)

  5. #25
    High Tomb Lord
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Wandering Howling Plains
    Posts
    1,630
    Every gamer or fantasy buff knows that elves life 1000 or more years. Or should anyway but thanks on other races XD
    Quote Originally Posted by NOBLERooster
    Ozawa You Lore Hound!
    IGN: OzawaWanderer

    http://i.imgur.com/fro8laQ.png

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Loregoyle View Post
    This is a cool project! I was dubious of 5th edition when it was first announced, but I am now totally sold. It's a stripped-down version of 3.5, tossing out rules that just weren't fun (such as firing into melee).

    I prefer to deceive myself that 4th edition never existed.

    In any case, since people were asking about lifespans, I'll just leave this here:

    LIFESPAN

    Most beings in the world of Entrath die from war, accidents, infections, or misadventure long before reaching old age. For the lucky few who manage to survive to senior citizenhood, each of the player races has a "natural" life span.

    The maximum age for an average member of the player races are the following:

    Elves: 1000 years
    Dwarves: 500 years
    Orcs/Vennen: 200 years (note: it is extremely rare for either of these races to die of old age)
    Humans/Coyotle: 80 years
    Shin'hare: 40 years
    Necrotic: unknown
    Thanks for the confirmation! Very helpful

    I started on 4th edition, so while I don't absolutely despise it, I am grateful our group moved on to Pathfinder and 5th edition. 5th Ed does streamline a lot of things, to make playability a priority. It's very nice for a player. I'm not sold on the balancing so far, though. Various things seem like they could have used more testing, like the viability of cantrips as a primary damage source, or the rarity/cost of various magic items. Still, it's very accessible, which is great. I'm looking forward to more character option books coming out. Think there's one later in November.

    I've updated the ages, and fiddled a bit with the dwarven construct traits. Don't think I want to change it to be too much like constructs, because at the moment, we don't know that they don't need to eat or sleep, or are immune to mind-affecting abilities. It's something to keep an eye on, though.
    In-game: Obsidian || Collector backer || Starting a guild for Newbies -- "The Cerulea Acadamy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Aradon View Post
    Cory is a man of unrelenting promises and optimism!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •