Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adapting 5E D&D to Entrath

Adapting 5E D&D to Entrath

Since there was some mild interest in this in the General Forums, I thought I'd take a quick stab at mocking up some interpretations. For now, I'm posting adapted races. If I continue, it'll likely be to work on the magic system, which departs pretty heavily from standard Dungeons and Dragons. Two notes before I dive in. The first is that my vision for the magic system is to abandon the traditional schools of magic, and instead align each spell with one (or more) shards. I'd also like to make spells based off cards from Hex, rather than borrow the 5E spellbook, but it's all pretty speculative at the moment. Input is welcome, of course. The second note is that I am not an authoritative source of Entrath Lore, nor am I even very knowledgeable of the finer details in many areas. As I mentioned in another thread, it's hard to create material when you don't have the ability to fill in gaps yourself, so some of this will be incorrect, and other pieces will be speculative. The incorrect parts will be fixed as things come to my attention, but for now I'm happy to speculate on the unknowns until an official source contradicts.

Disclaimers out of the way, I'll move right on to the eight races of Entrath. Humans and Orcs match pretty closely, so they are left as found in the PHB. Typically, each race will receive a +2 stat bonus, several racial perks, and a choice of two subraces (or variants within that race, since we haven't seen many different tribes/clans of each race yet.)

Coyotle
    Ability Score Increase: +2 Wisdom.
    Age: Coyotle age in a fashion similar to humans, with a lifespan of about 80 years.
    Alignment: Coyotle are typically peaceful and amiable, tending towards good. They often seek order in their perception of the world, but are also free spirits, leaving room for a variety among their race on the lawful scale.
    Speed: 30 feet. While running on all four legs, 40 feet. While running this way, the disengage action can't be taken.
    People of the Land: You have proficiency with Herbalism Kits.
    Alertness: Due to your enhanced senses and reflexes, you gain a +3 racial bonus to their passive perception to detect foes, and a +3 racial bonus to your initiative score.
    Natural oracles: Prophecy is a way of life to the Coyotle. At first level, you can cast Oracle Song once per day. At 3rd level, you can cast Augury once per day. At 5th level, you can cast Reversion as a 3rd-level spell once per day. Wisdom is your spellcasting attribute when casting these spells.

You may choose to be a Coyotle Warrior or Dreamer:
    Warrior: +2 Dexterity. Coyotle warriors are at home on the wide prairies and deep brush. Coyotle are excellent pack hunters and marksmen. You have advantage on stealth checks made while in grasslands and forest.
    Dreamer: +1 Charisma. Coyotle dreamers spend their time in meditation, seeking an understanding of the cycles of the universe. They are often visited with visions of things of the past or yet to come. Roll a d20 at the start of each day, or after 1 hour of meditating. You may substitute this roll for any one roll before it is made.
    Elves
    Ability Score Increase: +2 Charisma.
    Age: The Elves are probably the oldest living beings on Entrath, except for the primals. Their upper age limit is around 1000 years.
    Alignment: Every elf is a free spirit, obeying only their own feelings. They abhor war and spend their time creating works of art, making the majority of them Neutral Good or Chaotic Good.
    Speed: 30 feet
    Friends of the Wild: As creatures of the woods, the Elves are closely in tune with nature. You know Sylvan, and can communicate simply with small animals.
    Natural Artisans: You are proficient in any one art or craft, and appropriate tools.
    Naturalists: You have advantage on survival and nature checks.
    Natural wild magic: At first level, you know the following cantrips, and can cast them once per day: Dancing Lights, Ghost Sound, Minor Image, Prestidigitation. Charisma is your spellcasting attribute for these spells.

You may choose to be a Performer or a Wildcaller:
    Performer: +1 Intelligence. The talents of Elven actors are known across Entrath, and they take their roles very seriously, giving them insight and training in a wide variety of tools and tasks. You gain proficiency in two more tools, skills, or weapons.
    Wildcaller: Needing no hexing gems to cast wild magic, many Elves are powerful mages in their own right. If you would cast a spell that benefits from being cast at a higher spell level and you have access to a higher spell level, you may treat that spell as being cast at one level higher than the slot you use.
    Last edited by Aradon; 10-04-2015 at 06:04 PM.
    In-game: Obsidian || Collector backer || Starting a guild for Newbies -- "The Cerulea Acadamy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Aradon View Post
    Cory is a man of unrelenting promises and optimism!

And the Underworld races:
    Shin'hare
    Ability Score Increase: +2 Dexterity.
    Age: Most Shin'hare die an ugly death long before they reach old age. Those that do survive rarely live past 40 years
    Alignment: Virtually all Shin'hare are lawful evil, believing that all other races are fit only for servitude, and that their own place in Shin'hare society was determined at birth.
    Speed: 30 feet.
    Martial Training: You have proficiency with longswords, longbows, and all simple melee and ranged weapons.
    Caste Training: Every Shin'hare's purpose was determined before they were born, and is thus given appropriate training. You gain proficiency in any one skill.

You may choose to be a Shin'hare Shock Trooper or a variety of caster.
    Shock trooper: Shock troopers are disciplined to die in battle, and take as many enemies with them as they can. You are immune to effects that cause fear and can't be charmed. Once per turn, while bloodied (below half health), you may reroll your weapon damage and keep the higher result. +1 Strength.
    Caster: The mages of the Shin'hare have a variety of practices, but all of them involve grotesque and bloody rituals. As part of the somatic component of a spell, you may spill the blood of a willing or helpless creature. For each d8 of damage dealt, the save DC or attack roll of the spell is increased by 1. At first level, this is limited to +1. At fifth, ninth, thirteenth, and seventeenth levels, this is increased by one. +1 Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma.
    Vennen
    Ability Score Increase: +2 Dexterity
    Age: Like their orcish cousins, Vennen can reach the age of 200, but most die in conflict long before this.
    Alignment: All vennen are twisted creations of Xentoth, the Mother of Spiders. They take delight in the suffering of all others. Most adhere to religious strictures or codes of conduct of one manner or another.
    Brothers under Xentoth: All Vennen are male descendants from Xentoth.
    Darkvision: Vennen can see in the dark to a distance of 120 feet.
    Racial enmity against Orcs: Despising their inferior kin, Vennen take particular delight in bringing suffering to Orcs. Attack rolls against orcs are made with a +2 racial bonus and deal an additional +2 damage. This damage increases by 1 every odd level.
    Spider Limbs: You can climb on walls and ceilings as if they were on the ground. In addition, due to having 8 legs, you have advantage on checks made to avoid being knocked prone. (Can they actually walk on walls? Need confirmation.)

You can choose to be a Vennen Inquisitor, or an Azure Fang Heretic:
    Inquisitor: Vennen are natural practitioners of blood magic, due to the blessings of Xentoth. At first level, you can cast Taint once per day. At 3rd level, you can cast Withering Touch once per day. At fifth level, you can cast Terrible Transfer once per day. Charisma is your spellcasting attribute for these spells. +1 Charisma.
    Azure Fang Heretic: Most Vennen will not use any magic besides Blood Magic, considering it heretical. However, members of the Azure Fang specialize in using Sapphire magic. For each spell level you have slots for, you have an additional spell slot that must be filled with a sapphire spell. +1 Wisdom.
    Dwarves
    Ability Score Increase: +2 Constitution.
    Age: Dwarves have a maximum lifespan of around 500 years. When they die in battle, their stone bodies crumble to rubble and dust, which is used to make more dwarves.
    Alignment: Dwarves all seek the ruin and destruction of all things, and work towards this with singular purpose. They tend towards chaos and confusion.
    Speed: 25 feet, but are not encumbered by heavy armor.
    Men of Rock: All dwarves are male.
    Darkvision: You can see in darkness to a distance of 60 feet as if it were light, and out to 120 feet as if it were dim light.
    Stonecunning: You have advantage on knowledge checks related to stonework and constructs.
    Construct Nature: You are immune to poison, and have resistance to nonmagical physical damage, and vulnerability to thunder damage.

You can choose to be a Dwarven Sapper or a Mechanic:
    Sapper: Nobody knows explosives like the dwarves do. At first level, explosives rigged or detonated by a sapper deal 1d8 more damage. This bonus increases by 1d8 at 4th level and every 3 levels thereafter. You have proficiency with explosives and related tools. +1 Strength.
    Mechanic: And nobody knows robots like the dwarves do. If you would restore health to a construct, you may roll an additional die of the type rolled and add it to the total amount restored. +1 Intelligence.
    Necrotic
    Ability Score Increase: +2 Constitution. +1 to two other abilities of your choice.
    Age: Rather than aging naturally, a Necrotic's body continues to decay after awakening, sustained only by the infusion of life from Hexing Gems. The maximum age of a Necrotic is unknown at this time.
    Alignment: Necrotic work towards some inscrutable purpose. They believe this purpose is their ultimate good, but show no signs of a moral code that would inhibit their work towards this purpose. The end ultimately justifies the means.
    Freedom of Unlife: The Necrotic have no need for food or sleep. Your daily abilities reset at midnight, though you must spend a short rest to recover health and spell slots. Over this short rest, they recover hit points once per day as if they took a long rest.
    Necrotic Hive Mind: You can communicate simple thoughts telepathically with other Necrotic.
    Alien Minds: You are immune to mind-affecting spells and enchantments.
    Alienated from the Living: You have disadvantage on insight checks regarding non-necrotic beings, as well as charisma checks involving strangers.
    Varied Purpose: Necrotic may select one feat.
    There is no sub-race to choose for Necrotic.
    Last edited by Aradon; 10-04-2015 at 06:02 PM.
    In-game: Obsidian || Collector backer || Starting a guild for Newbies -- "The Cerulea Acadamy"

High Tomb Lord
    Um I read the lore and some of your stuff is a bit off. Coyotle would be lawful neutral to be quite honest and Elves chaotic good. Also the lore stats Necrotic's only last as long as the individual corpse does the diamonds only extend the corpse it doesn't stop decaying. Their so casual about socketing corpses they don't care if they die. Also dwarves are chaotic evil period. I won't critique anything else but lore wise I feel that the above is accurate.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOBLERooster
    Ozawa You Lore Hound!
    IGN: OzawaWanderer

http://i.imgur.com/fro8laQ.png

That's good to know about the Necrotic, I hadn't read much about their age limits. Do you remember where you saw that Necrotic corpses continued aging?

I do have dwarves down as chaotic evil and elves as chaotic good in the list. I'm curious why you would consider the coyotle neutral rather than good overall, since we've mostly just seen friendly interactions. I don't recall any stories of evil coyotle at all.

The Transcended
    Is DND5 much like DND3.5? I hated DND4 and stopped following it at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoss View Post
    Is DND5 much like DND3.5? I hated DND4 and stopped following it at that point.
    It's not like 4E at all. I haven't played 3.5, but I've played some Pathfinder. It's like a very number-streamlined pathfinder. The biggest point of departure is that the number of skills has been drastically reduced from Pathfinder and even 4E, and you are simply trained in them or not. Trained gives you your proficiency bonus, which is a bonus that scales based on your level.

5E's got some balancing issues, in my opinion, and some weak points here and there, but it's very easy for players to jump into and learn, which is a bonus. It feels a lot more like Pathfinder than 4E, but it's its own game really.

High Tomb Lord
    That's good to know about the Necrotic, I hadn't read much about their age limits. Do you remember where you saw that Necrotic corpses continued aging?

I do have dwarves down as chaotic evil and elves as chaotic good in the list. I'm curious why you would consider the coyotle neutral rather than good overall, since we've mostly just seen friendly interactions. I don't recall any stories of evil coyotle at all.
    It's been stated a lot that Necrotic's have no knowledge of how old they get (I assume they can care less and don't track the average 'time span' of a given corpse) and when a body becomes useless they just resocket the gem to nearest avaible body. I believe there is lament energy in the corpse that colors Necrotic's minds which is why "Sometimes when they resocket they gain new traits or a new persona all together"

About the Coyotle being Lawful Neutral. To me they seem like they only keep to themselves and they hunt for food and clothes and nothing else. I assume they'd travel to other locations and follow human/orc/elf laws but other then that they don't really have anything. Elves and Coyotles keep to themselves Elve's more so but Coyotle seem content with their own business.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOBLERooster
    Ozawa You Lore Hound!
    IGN: OzawaWanderer

http://i.imgur.com/fro8laQ.png

Are you gonna run a campaign in the Hex universe?
    It might be easier to do that in GURPS or FATEcore.
    Either way sounds like good fun.

Have you considered giving the Coyotle a Knowledge : Prophecy skill

Or the Necrotic a Shift ability where they can take a -X to hit on their next attack, and to give another Necrotic in the area a +X to hit on their next attack.

Or giving Dwarfs the construct immunities. That might be a bit powerful so maybe its a 50% chance to be immune.

I'm not planning on running a game myself at the moment. Like I said earlier, I just don't know enough about the Hex universe to be able to author a story in it, though small adventures are probably possible. I've never used Gurps or Fate before, so I myself won't be going that route. It's not too hard to adapt 5E though, just a matter of creating some appropriate races, and a new magic spell list. The classes themselves should adapt almost perfectly.

For your suggestions: I don't think every coyotle has training in understanding prophecies? I'd probably be using Insight skill checks rather than specifically knowledge: prophecy, but yeah. Coyotle would frequently have proficiency with that kind of knowledge check, so it's a thought to consider. I'd rather just see them pick Insight as a skill, however. Maybe give them that one for free. Creating a new skill is always tricky, since there usually aren't many ways to acquire that skill. In 5E, skills come from classes and backgrounds, so no background that currently exists would give Knowledge: Prophecy. Not unsolvable, of course.

I myself don't know enough about the Necrotic to adapt their shift ability. It only loosely works in the card game, so I'm not sure exactly what mechanic is being translated here. If we had some more insight on this racial ability, I could try and work it in, but right now it seems like a transference of consciousness, which doesn't play very well in a game.

For Dwarves, I don't think they're really immune to constructs. I could picture a scenario where their robots go haywire and turn on the dwarves. I kind of expect half the dwarf PvE campaign to be this, honestly :P However, they do get physical resistance, so that's most of the way there. I don't picture many constructs dealing magical damage, so in effect, they kind of do have it already.

For Dwarves, I don't think they're really immune to constructs. I could picture a scenario where their robots go haywire and turn on the dwarves.
    This is, in fact, what happened with Slaughtergear, isn't it?