Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

More than 4 players Rules

Hello everyone!

With the game nearly in our hands, I was wondering what people's plans were for playing with more than 4 players?

CZE have said the game was designed for 4 players but as we all know the Kickstarter versions come with 5 additional characters. Making for a potential 9 player game! This was my thought:

Add an 3 extra ghosts from each of the basic classes for every player added. So 1 additional player = 3 Extra ghosts.

Two of the extra ghosts go in the spirit world and one of them goes on the board.

You could pick at random which ghost goes where or use the dice roll to determine which ghost goes on the board:

6 Die determines which class goes on the board class: 1-2 = Class 1, 3-4= Class 2, 5-6 Class 3.

8 Die determines the position on the board.

Use the gate on the upper left hand corner as the ghosts centre point. If there is no gate in that position at set up then proceed clockwise round the board to the next gate. Likewise for every additional ghost that needs to be added, keep going round the gates clockwise until all the ghosts have been added.

If there is already a ghost in the space rolled then place the ghost in an adjacent free space.

That was my idea, any others? Any thoughts?

"No Peter not an impression of a seal, the seal impression!"

Hi Morrellium,

When we started unlocking the new Ghostbusters during the Kickstarter campaign, we also posted a solution to the "over 4 players" problem in the F.A.Q. section:

Is there a way to play the game with more than 4 Ghostbusters?
    The game is designed and optimized for 1-4 players. We did add a set of variant rules for more than four Ghostbusters. The first player begins the game with the Event Die, which activates the gates that can summon Ghosts. After rolling it, you pass it three players clockwise. At the start of your turn, if you have the Event Die in front of you, roll it and then pass it. Now the Event Die will be rolled more often, which increases the difficulty to offset the extra Ghostbusters.

Existentially, you still end the round after 4 players have taken their turns. After the fourth player ends their turn, resolve any Ghost/Scenario specific actions, and then the fifth player starts the next round.

I like your addition of Ghosts to the game, and look forward to seeing your other innovations!

-Mataio Wilson
    Lead Designer

Quote Originally Posted by Mataio_Wilson View Post
    Hi Morrellium,

When we started unlocking the new Ghostbusters during the Kickstarter campaign, we also posted a solution to the "over 4 players" problem in the F.A.Q. section:

Is there a way to play the game with more than 4 Ghostbusters?
    The game is designed and optimized for 1-4 players. We did add a set of variant rules for more than four Ghostbusters. The first player begins the game with the Event Die, which activates the gates that can summon Ghosts. After rolling it, you pass it three players clockwise. At the start of your turn, if you have the Event Die in front of you, roll it and then pass it. Now the Event Die will be rolled more often, which increases the difficulty to offset the extra Ghostbusters.

Existentially, you still end the round after 4 players have taken their turns. After the fourth player ends their turn, resolve any Ghost/Scenario specific actions, and then the fifth player starts the next round.

I like your addition of Ghosts to the game, and look forward to seeing your other innovations!

-Mataio Wilson
    Lead Designer
    Ah! Sorry Mataio. I forgot to look in the FAQ! Should've known you'd have that already sorted. Thanks for letting me know and I'm glad you liked my idea!

"No Peter not an impression of a seal, the seal impression!"

Sensei of the Wounded Petal
    Sorry, follow up question.

We play as multiple characters...so after 4 characters go, we should roll the event die, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Werechicken View Post
    Sorry, follow up question.

We play as multiple characters...so after 4 characters go, we should roll the event die, right?
    Perfect summary.

Mataio Wilson
    Lead Design, Ghostbusters: The Board Game

We played with 5 players and simply rolled the event die after everyones turn. We didn't want to have to keep track of who's the startplayer each turn. Would've made the game more complicated.

5 is close to 4?

5 is close to 4?
    Seems to work kinda good with me. I played two campaigns with five characters and just skipped the extra event die rolling, and it all seemed nicey-nicey.

I prefer to play with all 9.

I prefer to play with all 9.
    Cool. Doesn't the board get a little crowded then?