Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Tournament Collusion & Bribery: HXE's Official Stand

Couldnt agree more with bootlace. I think we all agree that it is going to happen anyway, but Crypt need to officially say it is not allowed and if you do get caught, you will lose those Q tickets. Make players think twice before attempting a bribe. This kind of thing just seems plain bad for the the whole game and the Qualifying process. Why have the Pre-Qualifyers if you can just buy your way into the Qualifyer Tournament? Call be old fashioned but I think you should actually win your matches to get to the Qualifyer Tournament! As bootlace said, could turn into a farce.

Master Theorycrafter
    Let us all hope that Colin doesn't turn to the dark side then, because I'm sure we can all agree that he would have an advantage on a vast majority of us when it comes to this.

Though... Dark Lord Colin or Darth Colin doesn't sound too terribly bad either...

I've run across opponents offering bribes or the chance for me to pay for a win mostly during the set 3 release celebration. Personally, I'm against them and will not entertain taking them.

However, there was one instance where I was 4-1 in a gauntlet facing a 4-2 opponent and I was going to win once I ended my turn. Since they were friendly in chat, and me being me, I offered to concede so they could get their AA Duke and they stated that if I didn't win the gauntlet they would make sure to send me the AA Duke. I agreed to that as I thought I would win the last game, I mean I had a monster of a deck so I figured no problem.

Well, I lost the next game, and messaged the player and sure enough they sent it along to me with their thanks of even being that considerate. Shortly after I managed to win a AA Duke from a streamer and then sent back the AA Duke to my opponent for being honorable(well that and I would have 3 AA Dukes and having an odd number would really mess with my OCD).

There have also been a few times where I've looked at the VIP standings in the past in a tournament and I've noticed I was 2-1 and my opponent was 1-2 in the final match so I've conceded so they could win their AAs as I've been there myself having to play that last round. It is very stressful and if I could bring a little joy to them I'm always happy to do so. I've never asked for compensation nor would I ever expect it, it is just who I am.

With Hex becoming more competitive and serious with the qualifiers and ticket acquisition I'll have to be more cautious of my actions from here on out.

And what sithos did could of completely been done in wording to make it a split rather than a "bribe". If he had stated lets split the packs in such a way, then I will buy them from you. It would be more in line with splitting which is less frowned upon and allowed in most tcgs during the final rounds. He just chose to say it was a bribe and then broadcast it.

First, do I want a policy? Yes, absolutely. Even if it is difficult to enforce, it should be done for the integrity of the game. People thought that collusion in online poker couldn't be tracked. There are plenty of examples where it has been punished.

Ok, I don't want to get into the 'legal-ese' between bribing and splitting regarding how the deal is discussed. I believe that Sithos offered 2000 plat and a draft set. The split is essentially <13 store packs for the additional 6 QP. This is within the prize support that was available to be split. If it was more than 13 packs (game client value), it would have 100% been a bribe.

When I first heard that Sithos had done this, I was ready to chuck a pitchfork. Who doesn't enjoy throwing pitchforks? However, I don't feel that he did anything particularly wrong in this case. However, I think it was due to luck. If his opponent had requested more, it probably would have been 'paid' based on the level of excitement shown in his tweet.
    Last edited by BKCshah; 10-07-2015 at 04:45 AM.

Forget the packs - sithos bought the last match so he bought 6 Q tickets (difference between 3 match wins and 4). Thats the problem with what he done.

Quote Originally Posted by kindmime View Post
    And what sithos did could of completely been done in wording to make it a split rather than a "bribe". If he had stated lets split the packs in such a way, then I will buy them from you. It would be more in line with splitting which is less frowned upon and allowed in most tcgs during the final rounds. He just chose to say it was a bribe and then broadcast it.

Rock League Champion
    can i throw the 1st pitchfork im a fan of splatter movies <3

btw, bk did you manage to go 2/2 yesterday? ;D
    Austrian Kickstarter & Slacker Backer | IGN: Cernz

-=] Dont mess with the bull, you gonna get the horn [=-

Quote Originally Posted by Gwaer View Post

I guess we'll find out.
    That's shameful. Can you imagine if Bobby Fischer bribed Boris Spassky to win and then bragged that he made it as a World Champion?

It's not like Sithos is a bad player either, it was unnecessary... and then to brag about it after. *facepalms*

Quote Originally Posted by Clawdius View Post
    Personally I feel that the actions other communities take in these cases is completely warranted. Banning etc, although I could see a case being made for having done it "before it was wrong" but that's neither here nor there. Honestly if Hex is meant to be any sort of serious E-sport or whatever, saying "Sure bribe your opponents to concede, who needs skill?" would be absolutely reprehensible.

And seriously, if we just say "sure it's okay to bribe your opponents" then what happens when inevitably people accept bribes and don't get paid off? I mean, this is a can of worms that should absolutely not be opened. It should be incinerated, and the fact that it was overlooked could be written off as Hex Entertainment LLC having the mistaken belief that just because something wasn't explicitly outlined as against the rules people wouldn't stoop to such things. Sorry, but no, apparently we're not that kind of community.
    Hence why this type of behaviour needs to be curbed. Splitting prizes is one thing and is usually done to save time at the cost of value. However, manipulating qualifier points or tournament placing in an eSports context is ridiculous if allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by kindmime View Post
    It was a bribe, flat-out, as you cannot split QPs. You have to also realize that real prize money is on the line. This would be on par with rigging outcomes to ensure wins/losses for bets illegally.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel View Post
    Forget the packs - sithos bought the last match so he bought 6 Q tickets (difference between 3 match wins and 4). Thats the problem with what he done.
    The problem is that he did it at all. Regardless of his reputation as a HEX player, his skill's credibility will be questionable now.

Think of Steam's VAC system. You cheat once, you get marked with a VAC ban, if caught. Just having the label of VAC ban on account is enough to ward off a lot of people from interacting with you or taking you seriously in Steam's communities.

Master Theorycrafter
    I'm not sure you can blame Sithos in this case. Without a concrete policy in place, I hardly think it's fair to crucify him for buying out his last opponent. As he stated - it's definitely cheesy, but if it's not currently against the rules then how can we condemn him? I think this situation underscores a need for the policy to be written/addressed, but let's not beat up a player who took advantage of a grey area. I'm sure that Sithos wouldn't have done it, nor posted about it on Twitter if it was against the rules.

Just my two cents

Gigantisaur
    The fact that he openly bragged about doing this pretty much just forced their hand.

I guess this is one way to get around both skill and luck. Just pay your way to the tournament. I do not care what anybody says. This action hurt the game's chance of being taken seriously.

Makes me think that I will just reverse this and start selling opportunities.

Can anybody help me out and give me an idea of what the going rate would be? 50 Packs?

Once I am in the tournament, how much would a Top 12 seat go for??? $5000.00??

I could win without ever having to go too California. Sweet.
    Last edited by Mahes; 10-07-2015 at 05:30 AM.
    The art work for opening the chest is very nice.