Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Tournament Collusion & Bribery: HXE's Official Stand

Unfortunately for everyone saying splits or bribes or whatever you want to call them should not be done, there are just as many people arguing the point that they should be allowed and have reasoning and precedent to back it up. Everyone has their own opinion don't think this is the first thing ever that can't go both ways.

My personal stand I can care less allow them don't allow them I will follow the rules. But people making these strong opinions and expecting it to reign down over everyone and change everyone's minds should realize it doesn't work that way.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamAoE2 View Post
    I'm not sure you can blame Sithos in this case. Without a concrete policy in place, I hardly think it's fair to crucify him for buying out his last opponent. As he stated - it's definitely cheesy, but if it's not currently against the rules then how can we condemn him? I think this situation underscores a need for the policy to be written/addressed, but let's not beat up a player who took advantage of a grey area. I'm sure that Sithos wouldn't have done it, nor posted about it on Twitter if it was against the rules.

Just my two cents
    I'm not advocating retroactive punishment, HXE is partly to blame since this was not outlined however I think judging people based on doing something like this is not an issue. In my opinion there is no way a mature and self-respecting person cannot understand what's wrong with this and the implications of bribing people and bragging about it in a tourney like this.
    IGN: rwnkrs

Gigantisaur
    Quote Originally Posted by rwn View Post
    I'm not advocating retroactive punishment, HXE is partly to blame since this was not outlined however I think judging people based on doing something like this is not an issue. In my opinion there is no way a mature and self-respecting person cannot understand what's wrong with this and the implications of bribing people and bragging about it in a tourney like this.
    It does make you wonder if Sithos also puts items up for sale for 11111. I mean that is not against the rules either. Everyone was all against that idea and yet this one is ok because it is how life works.
    The art work for opening the chest is very nice.

If Sithos had posted 'I split the final round. I will be in the first Qualifier tournament' -- would anyone care?

I don't disagree that he was attempting to bribe his opponent for the QPs, but what happened would be considered a split if discussed 'properly.'

EDIT: Before anyone goes on about splitting QP events, other games have QPs. They are part of the prize pool allowed to be Split. For example in the finals of a 5-3-2-2, It could be agreed that the winner gets 3 packs and the QP while the loser gets 5 packs. Even the winner getting the QP and the loser getting 8 packs is fine.

The 'bribery' stuff comes into play with how the deal is discussed and phrasing that I've never bothered to learn.
    Last edited by BKCshah; 10-07-2015 at 05:43 AM.

Determined Zombie
    Since I've become the focus of this forum post I'd like to take a minute to explain my position.

This is the first TCG I have taken seriously in my entire entire life, and I wasn't aware this was so heavily frowned upon. I have never been significantly active or competitive in any other major TCG since middle school, and the references people are bringing up are not things I am familiar with.

I earned my 3-0, and decided when I got to my 4th match I would offer a very fair compensation to my opponent to let me take the win because I have limited time to play the game and did not want to stress over grinding qualifier tickets in the four day period we have before the first tournament. I believe I am more than capable of grinding qualifier tickets and would have had 4 tickets to start out regardless.

When I decided I was going to make this offer I was very open about it on stream and a vast majority of the people in my stream (of which I had ~60+ at that point) were saying "wow that's a good deal, I would take that offer" and not a single one said "Hey don't do that it's probably not allowed and you could get in trouble."

To anyone I have offended or insulted with my actions, I do apologize. For those who know me, you know I am passionate about Hex and mean no ill will. I'm young, I make mistakes as I'm sure we all do. Just realize it was all with honest intention and the person I made the deal with left it with arguably the far better end of the deal.

If there is anything I can do to make up for this situation I am more than willing to do so. I just hope you all can understand that I genuinely had no idea this was so frowned upon.

If you have any questions, I welcome you to contact me directly. I'm likely going to receive punishment in some form due to this situation and can only hope people might understand I meant no harm and continue to love and support Hex in many ways.

-Sithos
    KS Backer King Tier
    Hex Streamer: http://sithos.tv

I do not want sithos punished either. I just want Crypt to make some kind of official statement so there is no 'grey area' from this point onwards, before it gets out of hand. If buying Q tickets was allowed then they could of just made them a purchasable item from the start. Bribing another player to forfeit a match is just the same as buying Q tickets.

From what I've seen of how splits usually work in MTG, especially of the streamers I watch typically, for QPs: what happens is they split the prize but they play-out for QPs.

Nobody attempts to manipulate QPs from what I've seen so far, at least, not publicly because there are penalties for getting caught doing so iirc.

Sithos: I don't doubt you but again, I don't condone what transpired. That being said, since there isn't a policy in place, there's not much to be done about it either yet. I do hope that you earn more QPs to compensate for the ones you bought out though - if anything but to show you could do it. Thanks for chiming in though!

Quote Originally Posted by Sithos View Post
    Since I've become the focus of this forum post I'd like to take a minute to explain my position.

This is the first TCG I have taken seriously in my entire entire life, and I wasn't aware this was so heavily frowned upon. I have never been significantly active or competitive in any other major TCG since middle school, and the references people are bringing up are not things I am familiar with.

I earned my 3-0, and decided when I got to my 4th match I would offer a very fair compensation to my opponent to let me take the win because I have limited time to play the game and did not want to stress over grinding qualifier tickets in the four day period we have before the first tournament. I believe I am more than capable of grinding qualifier tickets and would have had 4 tickets to start out regardless.

When I decided I was going to make this offer I was very open about it on stream and a vast majority of the people in my stream (of which I had ~60+ at that point) were saying "wow that's a good deal, I would take that offer" and not a single one said "Hey don't do that it's probably not allowed and you could get in trouble."

To anyone I have offended or insulted with my actions, I do apologize. For those who know me, you know I am passionate about Hex and mean no ill will. I'm young, I make mistakes as I'm sure we all do. Just realize it was all with honest intention and the person I made the deal with left it with arguably the far better end of the deal.

If there is anything I can do to make up for this situation I am more than willing to do so. I just hope you all can understand that I genuinely had no idea this was so frowned upon.

If you have any questions, I welcome you to contact me directly. I'm likely going to receive punishment in some form due to this situation and can only hope people might understand I meant no harm and continue to love and support Hex in many ways.

-Sithos
    I may have been harsh with my words, usually I am but if you learned from the events that's good and good luck further on. Just remember that in competitive games skill, sportsmanship and integrity should matter first and foremost not money, think about how real sports work (not counting the bad apples which exist everywhere).
    IGN: rwnkrs

Gigantisaur
    Quote Originally Posted by Sithos View Post

-Sithos
    Not sure even where to begin. So, because you did not want the stress of trying to earn your way in and did not have the time to try, you thought it was fine to buy your way in? I often do not have the time to play and stress is a part of the "competition".

At this point I think CXE should just sell tickets. At least this way they can profit from it.
    The art work for opening the chest is very nice.

I believe that splitting is perfectly fine, as long as it is agreed to by both parties. The motivations of both players come into play here, not just one player, so if they both agree to terms, then they should be allowed to make said split.

The only time where I think splitting to give a win shouldn't be allowed is the finals of a huge event (the 100k finals in Cali or the Shards tournaments), since seeing who is more skilled is important to far more people than just those two players. If they want to agree to share the prize pool equally, and play normally, that should be allowed, as a winner is still decided naturally.

I think if HexEnt wants to officially support splits, they need to have guidelines, but if they do not make a comment for or against, then use your best judgement, and be wary of scams.
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png