Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Tournament Collusion & Bribery: HXE's Official Stand

Prize splits happen all the time in other TCGs, regardless if they are allowed by the rules or not. I don't think this is big deal personally, but CZE should have an official policy on the books.

I doubt anyone is going to convince anyone else to change their stance on something like this.

It doesn't matter what I think, it doesn't matter what anyone thinks.

It is not currently against the rules, so there is no issue.

If a rule is put in place to say this sort of thing is not allowed in the future then so be it (even though that will not stop it).

Edit: Also want to say im glad Sithos got there, he is a cool guy and a good streamer, I will enjoy watching him if I don't make it myself.

You make a good point. Most of these players would probably of qualified anyway. I do not doubt sithos would of qualified regardless. It is probably just a time and convenience thing. I still do not think it is right to collude and basically buy Q tickets. Just does not sit right with me. We wil just have to agree to disagree on this matter

Quote Originally Posted by magic_gazz View Post
    Someone has to go 3-0 first to even be in that position.

Then they get to the qualifier. That they have to win or at least win x rounds and then 2 rounds of top 8 AND have an opponent who DOESNT want to go to Cali.

First off, that seems unlikely and second it would have taken plenty of skill to get there, so you cant call it "buying".

This whole argument has been had for many years about Intentional Draws, something we don't have to deal with here.

Determined Zombie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahes View Post
    It does make you wonder if Sithos also puts items up for sale for 11111. I mean that is not against the rules either. Everyone was all against that idea and yet this one is ok because it is how life works.
    Calling in to question my entire Hex integrity over an honest mistake is a bit much. For reference I am actually very open about the policy that I give away nearly every spare card I accumulate back to the community. I basically never trade and very rarely sell things on the AH at all.

Not sure even where to begin. So, because you did not want the stress of trying to earn your way in and did not have the time to try, you thought it was fine to buy your way in? I often do not have the time to play and stress is a part of the "competition".

At this point I think CZE should just sell tickets. At least this way they can profit from it.
    Let me explain my logic to you, I play limited A LOT. I know I am a capable player and could have most definitely earned the remaining (6) qualifier tickets even if I had lost round 4 (which I also could have won). My logic was that another player may benefit greatly from having the resources to earn the other 6 tickets as well as grow their collection. I made a calculated offer to my opponent that both parties agreed to and are happy with. Another important note is that qualifier tickets are not a limited commodity and this literally impacted nobody other than the other player and myself.

If Sithos wins the 40k, one has to wonder whether or not he would have if he actually had played that fourth game.
    You really think after going 3-0 in the very first scheduled sealed that I lack skill? The idea that if I had lost the 4th game I wouldn't have been able to continue to earn literally any other qualifier tickets is not a logical viewpoint.

At the end of the day I will likely receive some form of punishment because of this situation to set a new precedent that did not exist before. Do you honestly believe if I knew this were an issue I would have been publicly open about it?
    KS Backer King Tier
    Hex Streamer: http://sithos.tv

Gigantisaur
    You will not get punished. They have no rules in play. I just want to make sure they see the entire argument.

Here is another example of why I am concerned. You had a player willing to allow you to buy your way in. What if another player reached the same point and offered his opponent the same deal and the other player refused it?? Now you have a market system that can judge whether or not you make it.
    The art work for opening the chest is very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Sithos View Post
    Calling in to question my entire Hex integrity over an honest mistake is a bit much. For reference I am actually very open about the policy that I give away nearly every spare card I accumulate back to the community. I basically never trade and very rarely sell things on the AH at all.

Let me explain my logic to you, I play limited A LOT. I know I am a capable player and could have most definitely earned the remaining (6) qualifier tickets even if I had lost round 4 (which I also could have won). My logic was that another player may benefit greatly from having the resources to earn the other 6 tickets as well as grow their collection. I made a calculated offer to my opponent that both parties agreed to and are happy with. Another important note is that qualifier tickets are not a limited commodity and this literally impacted nobody other than the other player and myself.

You really think after going 3-0 in the very first scheduled sealed that I lack skill? The idea that if I had lost the 4th game I wouldn't have been able to continue to earn literally any other qualifier tickets is not a logical viewpoint.

At the end of the day I will likely receive some form of punishment because of this situation to set a new precedent that did not exist before. Do you honestly believe if I knew this were an issue I would have been publicly open about it?
    You know what, after reading this just scratch my last post, there won't be any punishment but you really don't understand anything.
    IGN: rwnkrs

Quote Originally Posted by Sithos View Post
    I never doubted your skill. I even stated as such that you are not a bad player.

However, given your statement of "hav[ing] limited time to play the game and did not want to stress over grinding qualifier tickets in the four day period we have before the first tournament" could also imply that you needed those tickets.

As Xenavire has stated, not even the best players may make it into qualifiers due to luck or whatever else. While you think you could've earned all your QPs legitimately, you will now be subject to questions as to whether or not you actually would have - hence why I stated that what you could do is earn the extra QP to compensate for the ones you bought.

Having limited time and removing stress as a reason to do this? What about Lance Armstrong and the Tour de France? Drug usage to enhance performance. This gives him better performance while saving time and removing stress due to increasing 'skill' level without effort. Should this be okayed then?

The only difference here is means and policy. While you did not use drugs or other enhancements, the result is that you did not earn your QPs to qualify. Since there is no policy, I don't think you should be punished either. This should not be overlooked in policy in the long term though - not unless you want some sort of scandal to take place in the future.

Imagine if a team of high-level players bought their way to the top to guarantee a spot in the finals. Sure, they had the skill (maybe) but by buying their way up there, they mitigated all risk to get there.

magic_gazz: Does that mean it's okay to buy my way up to 3-0 from 0-0 then?

I will throw my 2 cents into this discussion as there is not enough representation on the side of the fence Supporting splits and/or buying Wins. I also want to take Sithos off the chopping block as the focus to this thread. To to be forthcoming I will state that I, myself, have been involved in many splits in Hex. I oftentimes do not have the time to complete an entire draft when I begin one after the kiddies go to sleep and have been known to split and/or just drop from drop after round 2 or 3. I guarantee that I have given my opponents free wins/packs/draft advancement in over 100x drafts since Hex has been live...

As such, there also is something else that people are overlooking... and that is the Top 8/64 Sleeves. These are going to be coveted among all completionists who feel they need to collect one of everything. Sadly, not everyone has the time or even the ability to earn these sleeves. While it's stated that in the rules that "Players are not allowed to share accounts", I don't interpret this to mean anything beyond simply someone else actually logging into this account. As such, I see many 'safe' avenues of screenshares etc now utilized as a secondary market begins to form where the "pro's" begin to sell their abilities to help others gain sleeves. I also see individuals offering substantial amounts to their opponent, if they care to accept it, to guarantee collections are completed.

I've seen these type of 'carry' situation in many other games where in game swag was handed out for achieving some sort of threshold (WoW PVP comes to mind with Mounts) and drives this type of secondary market. The "pro's" will benefit financially if they care to participate. The only true way I see to curb this type of behavior is the remove the PVP sleeves from the equation.

So I leave you with these questions: Who is harmed in a split situation if both parties AGREE to terms? (IMO, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that situation.) What is to be said about 'Carries for Sleeves'? (It's going to happen if the sleeves are going to remain a reward)

Gigantisaur
    Quote Originally Posted by Kami View Post
    magic_gazz: Does that mean it's okay to buy my way up to 3-0 from 0-0 then?
    Yes this is fine. According to the current rules a player can purchase there way to the tickets. 0-0,1-0,2-0 or 3-0. If the other player is fine with losing and is satisfied with the deal, then it is all good.
    The art work for opening the chest is very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by rwn View Post
    You know what, after reading this just scratch my last post, there won't be any punishment but you really don't understand anything.
    I don't see what the problem is here, in all honesty. Both players had the capability to do more tournaments and earn more tickets. Sithos could simply enter a qualifier today and go 4-0 normally, and he would have 2 separate entries into two IQ's. That doesn't guarantee him anything though - he isn't going to go to Cali just because he split to save him and his opponent some time and potentially frustration. He will still have to earn that, and as good of a player he is, nothing guarantees him that.

See, if I get into the qualifiers myself, and actually place at the top by some miracle, I may have to seriously consider asking for a split to give away the trip to Cali. Now this is something I might have no control over anyway, but are you instantly going to tar and feather my potential opponent because I wasn't able to attend the 100k tournament, and chose to bow out in favour of more packs? Would that players skill be in question? I highly doubt that. So why are you upset about Sithos doing potentially the same thing? You have no idea - maybe his opponent can't enter this weeks IQ anyway, and had decided to ask for a split themselves, only to have Sithos beat them to it. (This seems unlikely, just playing devils advocate.)

See, an agreement has to be reached for a split to happen. Two skilled players weigh their options and strike a fair deal for the both of them - if those terms were not fair, they would simply play the game and let skill and luck decide. If you blame Sithos, you also have to blame his opponent. One of them would have gone 4-0 either way.
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png