Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tournament Collusion & Bribery: HXE's Official Stand

Tournament Collusion & Bribery: HXE's Official Stand

In a tournament that awards Qualifier points for the $100K Qualifiers, one of my opponents offered in-game items in exchange for me to concede the match. I declined, stating that it is probably against the rules to do so. Opponent seemed convinced that it wasn't the case at all - that he/she was not doing anything wrong.

Then I began wondering: was my opponent right? After playing out the match, I opened the two official $100K tournament documents, Tournament Rules and Tournament ToS. There was no section on bribery or collusion.

Then I searched the forum threads, desperately seeking something that resembled an official HXE stand or indication on the matter. I skimmed through threads from prize splitting, to stream sniping, to communicating with other drafters, to bribing and win trading. There was not a single orange comment in any of these threads. There were varying opinions on all of these but people seemed to agree that if/when an official tournament for real money were to take place, that HXE would clarify things once and for all.

That day has arrived - actually it has now passed - and there is still no information on what acts HXE considers as cheating. No warnings, no tips, no do's don't do's, not one word. If us veterans don't even know what is and isn't allowed, how are we to advise new players. How are we to set an example and help HXE to enforce those rules by urging others to abide by them. Hex is finally receiving the increased attention it deserves, I would hate for its reputation to be tarnished from the get-go by giving the impression that such huge tournaments aren't being conducted in a clear and fair manner.

As MTG has done here, MTGO has done here, Hearthstone has done here, and finally as even CZE has done here for WowTCG, please take the time to put up Rules and Penalties about Tournament Collusion and Bribery. This is hopefully just the beginning for Hex's competitive $ tourney and E-sports scene. Let's keep it tight.

I wish you the best of luck in your crusade. I agree Hex should have a policy and it is long overdue.

Seems awfully hard to enforce with any kind of regularity. I doubt CZE has the time or even wants to be bothered spot checking random games and doling out warnings or punishments. If it isn't done in the client, it can just be done via Skype, Twitch, or whatever 3rd party communication and impossible to prove.

I'm personally in the camp that it should be allowed and is fine as anyone in the position to offer or receive perks for conceding earned the right to do so from their previous play putting themselves in that situation off of merit. If someone is 7-0 and already locked up a qualifier spot and wants to be bribed to throw game 8, they should be able to. They earned the right to do so if it benefits them and can afford a loss.

Think of a professional sports team that earned the right to rest their starters the game or two before the playoffs, and don't owe it to anyone else to give a full effort if it isn't their best interest/option even if it impacts any other teams in a major way.
    Last edited by TOOT; 10-06-2015 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TOOT View Post
    I'm personally in the camp that it should be allowed and is fine as anyone in the position to offer or receive perks for conceding earned the right to do so from their previous play putting themselves in that situation off of merit. If someone is 7-0 and already locked up a qualifier spot and wants to be bribed to throw game 8, they should be able to. They earned the right to do so if it benefits them and can afford a loss.
    So where do you stop then? Should I be allowed to bribe my way to first place? If I had the resources, does this mean I could make myself #1 every time even if I am a terrible player?

This isn't a matter of whether the opponent will accept or not. The point is that allowing this would explicitly compromise the integrity of any future tournaments.

Look at what happened with LoL: http://www.mobafire.com/esports/news...o-collusion-95

Or what happened with CS:GO: http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/27/792...ing-bans-valve

If you can't protect the integrity of tournaments, how can you tell who is truly top-class? You will literally be creating a pay-to-win environment.

Mtg has official rules about what is and what is not allowed.

What happens away from the judges is a very different story though.

In the LoL example I don't see the problem. They played out the games and a winner was declared. You cant enforce good play.

The CS:GO example is less about collusion/prize splitting and more about the betting part it seems. While similar to the other example it is different enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Kami View Post
    So where do you stop then? Should I be allowed to bribe my way to first place? If I had the resources, does this mean I could make myself #1 every time even if I am a terrible player?

This isn't a matter of whether the opponent will accept or not. The point is that allowing this would explicitly compromise the integrity of any future tournaments.

Look at what happened with LoL: http://www.mobafire.com/esports/news...o-collusion-95

Or what happened with CS:GO: http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/27/792...ing-bans-valve

If you can't protect the integrity of tournaments, how can you tell who is truly top-class? You will literally be creating a pay-to-win environment.

If there was an iron-clad way to prevent any kind of softplaying, then that's a different story. It's going to happen one way or another whether people(CZE) know about it or not. Since that is the case, it should be allowed so everyone can be on the same playing field instead of only being available to certain players who have the rolodex to pull off such maneuvers discreetly.

I would hope there would be some iron-clad measures in place for say the final 12 in the 100k events, but for these qualifier events and those like the Duke AA weekend I don't see it as the answer.

I agree that it effects the spirit of the game, but allowing it is the lesser of two evils imo.

Quote Originally Posted by TOOT View Post
    If there was an iron-clad way to prevent any kind of softplaying, then that's a different story. It's going to happen one way or another whether people(CZE) know about it or not. Since that is the case, it should be allowed so everyone can be on the same playing field instead of only being available to certain players who have the rolodex to pull off such maneuvers discreetly.

I would hope there would be some iron-clad measures in place for say the final 12 in the 100k events, but for these qualifier events and those like the Duke AA weekend I don't see it as the answer.

I agree that it effects the spirit of the game, but allowing it is the lesser of two evils imo.
    Doing nothing is rarely the lesser of two evils in real life scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by plaguedealer View Post
    Doing nothing is rarely the lesser of two evils in real life scenarios.
    in this scenario Toot is correct

Doing something that "Disallows" collusion, just puts the people who will follow the rule at a disadvantage. Even if there is a rule in effect against this, there will be people doing it. You cant really enforce this kind of thing since how will you ever really know it is being done? It is not like a Paper Event where you have judges watching every game making sure the rules are upheld.

Quote Originally Posted by poizonous View Post
    in this scenario Toot is correct

Doing something that "Disallows" collusion, just puts the people who will follow the rule at a disadvantage. Even if there is a rule in effect against this, there will be people doing it. You cant really enforce this kind of thing since how will you ever really know it is being done? It is not like a Paper Event where you have judges watching every game making sure the rules are upheld.
    Your argument also could be argued for almost every regulation or law in the books.