Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite Shard Combos for Deck (or Mono Shard) and Why?

Gigantisaur
    Just want to chime in and say that this is a great thread and idea.
    I hope a lot of new players see it.

I don't want to participate, but I'm an all out control sapphire originally, but set 3 has me loving coyotle prophecy and Winter Moon decks.
    For Arena I've been experimenting with many different things, most recently crazy unique troop shenanigans with Exiled Bard, as well as a solid blood sapphire Phenteo + Fifth Book potent combo deck.

I like sapphire & blood because those shards have most of the crazy cards with non-standard abilities

examples:
    Shrewd Manipulation
    Indigo Dreamwalker
    Azurefate Sorceress
    Bird o' Plenty
    Dream Dance
    Xentoth's Inquisitor / Necrophet
    Hideous Conversion

i also dislike playing against sapphire & blood the most because people just want to steal or interrupt my stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Mejis View Post
    Just want to chime in and say that this is a great thread and idea.
    I hope a lot of new players see it.

I don't want to participate, but I'm an all out control sapphire originally, but set 3 has me loving coyotle prophecy and Winter Moon decks.
    For Arena I've been experimenting with many different things, most recently crazy unique troop shenanigans with Exiled Bard, as well as a solid blood sapphire Phenteo + Fifth Book potent combo deck.
    Feel free to participate! If you get packs, you could always give them to new players.

On a side note, I had someone play Phenteo + Fifth Book against me...
    -Phenteo, Former Community Manager and Egg Giver
    Twitter: @CM_Phenteo | @HEXTCG

"It's polite to say thank you when someone gives you a gift, human." -Phenteo

Browsing through my deck list, it's easy to tell that Ruby / Sapphire is by far my favorite combination. At any given time, I have more R/S decks than any other color combination, and sometimes, more R/S decks than ALL other color combinations combined.

This is not surprising, since I'm a huge fan of Burn 'Em / Return 'Em decks... tempo to slow the opponent down, damage spells to blast them out of the sky. And one of my favorite cards from Hex so far is therefore, of course, Archmage Wrenlocke (AA plz!). Even his card art shows him blowing shit up and being awesome.

Here's a fun little burn / tempo deck I like to trot out in the proving grounds every now and then, just for relaxing:

Wyatt the Sapper champion
    11x sapphire shards
    9x ruby shards
    4x shard of innovation

3x archmage wrenlocke
    1x chimes of the zodiac

2x peek
    3x time ripple
    3x verdict of the ancient kings
    2x countermagic
    1x mass polymorph: dingler

1x burn to the ground
    4x burn
    3x crackling bolt
    3x heat wave
    4x ragefire
    4x heart of fire

This deck is very funny if you can get 2x heart of fire into play, especially if you're also holding 1-2 burn spells and your burn to the ground. If I were to edit this deck to include some Armies of Myth cards, I might consider bringing in scorch or skewer, and would definitely want to insert 1-2 augur of sirion, for that extra little advantage of playing more cards off the top of your deck if you happen to not draw more actions from Wrenlocke's ability.
    --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
    - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well

I like Sapphire/Ruby Dwarves a lot. New players can make a fun, cheap, effective deck for Arena along the lines of:

Troops/Plans
    4xElectroid (Head Equip)
    4x Mimeobot
    4x War Machinist (Armor Equip)
    4x Hex Geode
    4x Construct Foreman
    4x Hornet Bot Plans
    4x War Hulk Plans
    4x Gearsmith
    4x Charge Bot
    2x Pterobot

Actions
    4x Burn (Gloves Equp)

Shards
    4x Shard of Innovation
    7x Ruby Shard
    7x Sapphire Shard

No rares or legendaries, and the equipment all comes from the Arena.

Gigantisaur
    OK, so here's my cobbled together terrorantula deck. Still testing for fun in Arena, but seems quite potent so far. Idea is to sink some nasty terrorantulas into your opponent's deck and just insta-bury them with Fifth Book of D'Harsis. The Arcane Focus and Peek may be overkill, but I want to get the combo out asap.
    The Buccaneers and Exarch help with control (bounce and lethal, respectively) and the latter also adds to the egg infestation. Incubation Webs for extra control and synergy.
    Even if you haven't got Phenteo out yet, you can set off spider chain-reaction bury through Fifth Book also.

Champion:
    Zorzym of Korru

Troops:
    4x Exarch of the Egg
    4x Runeweb Infiltrator (Infiltrator's Slippers)
    4x Buccaneer (Sworddancer's Limp)
    3x Phenteo the Brood Priest (ideally Staff of the Brood Priest, but alas I don't have one yet)
    4x Bastardspawn of Bokrug (not sure on this addition over other spider-synergy cards)
    1x Eternal Sage (I only have one atm)

Actions:
    4x Arcane Focus
    4x Peek
    4x Incubation Webs

Artifacts:
    4x Fifth Book of D'harsis

Shards:
    8x Blood Shard
    9x Sapphire Shard
    4x Shard of Cunning
    3x Zin'xith Silk (I only have 3 atm)

~~~

I'll add in a much more budget-friendly deck later.

I really like Ruby/Sapphire. Something about controlling the board until you can melt your opponents face off just seems to lead to me cackling like a villain. Here's the decklist I've been toying with lately:

3 Burn to the Ground
    3 Countermagic
    4 Crackling Bolt
    3 Incantation of Ascendance
    1 Mastery of Time
    3 Oracle Song
    4 Ragefire
    3 Scorch
    4 Time Ripple
    3 Archmage Wrenlocke
    2 Augur of Sirion
    2 Bird O' Plenty
    4 Shard of Innovation
    2 Shards of Fate
    9 Ruby Shard
    10 Sapphire Shard

Basically the goal is to use burn spells to kill your opponents threats until Incantation gets on the board, then draw all of the cards. Bird o' Plenty helps both stave off your opponent and as a draw engine, as you can use your burn spells to draw more by hitting Bird with them instead.

Sideboard includes Heatwave for dealing with red aggro, Verdict of the ancient kings for the control mirror, Vandalize for artifact/dwarves, and cripple for R/W ramp.

My favorite new combo revolves around Scrap Rummager and Drowned Shrine of Uther. Using it in your opponents ready step, forces him to skip his card draw. So combine this with a buch of discard and your opponent wont be able to play a single card for the rest of the game ( [insert evil laugh here]).
    So i made a budget version of the deck (except for extinctions):

Champion:
    Concubunny of Yuka (you could go Zared, but this is more fun)

4x Scrap Rummager
    4x Drowned Shrine of Uthar
    4x Extinction
    4x Murder
    4x Countermagic
    4x Giant Corpse Fly
    4x Inquisition
    4x Arachnophobia
    4x Rot Cast

4x Shard of Cunning
    12x Blood Shard
    8x Sapphire Shard

A less budget version would include the vampire clan and be less gimmicky (but also less fun).

Gigantisaur
    Quote Originally Posted by Peseto View Post
    My favorite new combo revolves around Scrap Rummager and Drowned Shrine of Uther. Using it in your opponents ready step, forces him to skip his card draw. So combine this with a buch of discard and your opponent wont be able to play a single card for the rest of the game ( [insert evil laugh here]).
    So i made a budget version of the deck (except for extinctions):

Champion:
    Concubunny of Yuka (you could go Zared, but this is more fun)

4x Scrap Rummager
    4x Drowned Shrine of Uthar
    4x Extinction
    4x Murder
    4x Countermagic
    4x Giant Corpse Fly
    4x Inquisition
    4x Arachnophobia
    4x Rot Cast

4x Shard of Cunning
    12x Blood Shard
    8x Sapphire Shard

A less budget version would include the vampire clan and be less gimmicky (but also less fun).
    This is awesome, I'm going to give this a try next (sans Extinction. I know I need them, but I just can't quite bring myself to pay for them yet).

Quote Originally Posted by Mejis View Post
    This is awesome, I'm going to give this a try next (sans Extinction. I know I need them, but I just can't quite bring myself to pay for them yet).
    Just a heads up: In the previous patch the interaction was a little bugged, haven't had time to check if they fixed it now.

Edit: Just tested it, the patch fixed it and it works now
    Last edited by Peseto; 10-08-2015 at 03:40 AM.