Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Ramp

Quote Originally Posted by HaemishM View Post
    My biggest problem is that it's all I'm facing. 4 matches in the scheduled last night. 2 of the 4 matches I played in the VIP this past weekend. There's too little variety in the meta. It makes constructed very stale, which means less people play because they are bored with the meta, making the overused deck even MORE overused.
    Welcome to Constructed. This is never going to change. The way a TCG meta works is everyone sees a good deck do well, then they copy it. Then you play almost exclusively that deck for weeks until someone builds the anti-version of that deck... then everyone runs that for weeks. Rinse and repeat. This is one of many reasons I can't stand Constructed. Give me limited play any day.

A good TCG with a decent-sized card pool shouldn't have one deck be so dominant and popular. There should be at least 3-4 different deck types that can compete consistently at the same time. With 1-2 sets, it's to be expected that a limited meta exists. That's one of the reasons Hex needs to put set 4 on the priority list ahead of PVE - stale meta is a money-losing proposition.

>There should be at least 3-4 different deck types that can compete consistently at the same time.
    This is already the case, but one of those deck is more popular than the rest.

Hex needs pve more than set 4. There's still plenty to be discovered. Thankfully, they can design set 4 and test it heavily to avoid another TM card while pve is getting pushed out since they're separate teams.

The card pool isn't as much of an issue as the player pool. It's a quite small group of dedicated constructed players. As the player pool increases you solve most of these problems. More people who don't play the current most popular deck, more rogue deck builders to break metas, etc. Things will get better as the game gets more popular.

AFAIK set 4 has been designed for ages. They're probably working on set 7 by now.
    ----
    http://i.imgur.com/I1MZpF8.png
    HexEnt is too long to type, They're HXE now.
    I am currently trading my unused GK code for a new Tesla Model S P85D
    Feel free to contact me for where you can have it shipped.

The player pool for constructed will not get any bigger if the cost for entry remains high AND the popular meta gets stale. It will only shrink.

Quote Originally Posted by HaemishM View Post
    The player pool for constructed will not get any bigger if the cost for entry remains high AND the popular meta gets stale. It will only shrink.
    The cost to entry is fairly low in comparison to similar products. The Meta is fairly well tested, and not stale due to any lack of variety, but being tarnished by the best shining brighter than the rest, and being piloted consistently by big-names in the community.

Maybe it's not the right time to ask for a heavier hand to govern the meta, as this is a TCG, but there are reasons why the ever-changing MOBA genre stays fresh and has a vibrant and large community.

Examples of shifting this meta:
    • Change gems, or gem threshold requirements.
    • Change or adapt Champion Charge powers.
    • Temporarily ban cards for tournaments or specific time-frames to see how the meta evolves for those specific tournaments or time-frames.

I won't lie, that I am even growing tired of the same players in draft, forcing Cressida Ramp decks, and winning in the finals to me falling 1 shard behind, and them ramping to 5 by turn 3. There is still very little counter-play in both limited and constructed to tempo advantage with big butts.
    Last edited by nicosharp; 10-28-2015 at 12:05 PM.

Forcibly shifting the meta like that as standard operating procedure just shows poor set design. The meta shifted constantly in sets 1 and 2 with no changes by them to the sets after release.
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by Gwaer View Post
    Forcibly shifting the meta like that as standard operating procedure just shows poor set design. The meta shifted constantly in sets 1 and 2 with no changes by them to the sets after release.
    Speaking more towards the fear of losing a "limited" player-base to a "stale" meta. Plenty that can be done for that. Besides just releasing a new set with more answers.

Everything seems okay for now, just needs a bit more room to grow. There is frustration though that a lot of people can feel when attempting to crack the nut.

Quote Originally Posted by nicosharp View Post
    Speaking more towards the fear of losing a "limited" player-base to a "stale" meta. Plenty that can be done for that. Besides just releasing a new set with more answers.

Everything seems okay for now, just needs a bit more room to grow. There is frustration though that a lot of people can feel when attempting to crack the nut.
    I'm all for special limited modes. Honestly, I'm all for special tournament modes in general once a month or so with some sort of weird random queue people can join that fires maybe 5 times to cover different time zones. That can be more frequent as the player base gets larger.
    ----