Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Petition: Bring back 221 while we wait

The set isn't rotated out at all. As long as you can buy the set people can open as many packs as they like and drive your collection value down, set 1 prices are so inflated across the board already that it is probably a moneymaking venture to open set 1 packs and sell stuff even without draft.

I too care about collection value, and wanted money rares in set 1 that can retain value. But that value can't be truly built until the set goes off the market. Furthermore, even if prices decrease on the short term, they still have all of time to increase again as set 1 is no longer available to draft, even if it returns periodically, the value of the cards will only increase over time, once packs are no longer freely available even more so.
    ----
    http://i.imgur.com/I1MZpF8.png
    HexEnt is too long to type, They're HXE now.
    I am currently trading my unused GK code for a new Tesla Model S P85D
    Feel free to contact me for where you can have it shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by Stok3d View Post
    Cut it any way you like Gwaer. The fact of the matter is that rotating these sets in will destroy collection values and be a HUGE turnoff for so many of us that have invested a small fortune into this game. Please consider that people play this game for a variety of reasons. Some of us are willing to invest money into this game as they understand the game is incredibly fun while appreciating the fundamentals of supply and demand. Those same people are also some it's most long standing and loyal customers. Injecting the sets back in that only the earliest backers drafted could be seen as a stab in the back to those who financially supported getting this game launched...

It's obvious how I feel and I have nothing more to state on this topic. I have and always will be a person who champions and realizes how vital collection value is to the prosperity of this game.
    Wow, Stok3d, I could not disagree more with your point of view and think it is waaaayyyyyy off base.

your emphasis on Hex being a TCG only serves to distract from the point you are trying to make.

As Gwear stated, in any other TCG you would absolutely be able to play sets 1 & 2 in limited. The restriction to only allow set 3 in limited is an artificial restriction in the realm of TCGs and is serving to artificially inflate the value of set 1 and 2 cards.

It seems that you are already trying to treat set 1 and 2 as being completely out of print, but even in that case, a physical TCG would not prevent you from playing a limited format with it provided you already had the packs. It is unbelievably ridiculous to take this stance on a game that is still brand new, hell still in beta, and double hell, on sets that are still part of a meta cycle that isn't even complete yet.

It is even more unfathomable that someone in your position that wants to see this game succeed would so passionately defend a system of artificially inflating prices of said cards by enforcing a barrier to entry for new players that would not exist in any physical TCG purely off the fear that it would allow a typical TCG market to determine the value of the cards.

I for one, have played since the very beginning and have a very large collection of set 1 & 2, but to so prematurely attempt to live the "coveted collection value" dream of everyone that backed Hex is a terrible, terrible, selfish idea and a detriment to the game. The fact that your only options for set 1 & 2 packs is to open them or sit on them is an issue and one that needs to change. Also as Gwear said, it is not a matter or if but when. Since the implementation requires very little work from HXE and set 3 is already suffering from lack of interest, I'd hope for a nowish implementation.
    Last edited by knightofeffect; 11-05-2015 at 04:59 PM.
    1x GK Keep - Dekroma

Cut it any way you like Gwaer. The fact of the matter is that rotating these sets in will destroy collection values and be a HUGE turnoff for so many of us that have invested a small fortune into this game. Please consider that people play this game for a variety of reasons. Some of us are willing to invest money into this game as they understand the game is incredibly fun, realize the game's potential, while appreciating the fundamentals of supply and demand. Those same people are also some it's most long standing and loyal customers. Injecting the sets back in that only the earliest backers drafted could be seen as a stab in the back to those who financially supported getting this game launched...

It's obvious how I feel and I have nothing more to state on this topic. I have and always will be a person who champions and realizes how vital collection value is to the prosperity of this game.
    You are coming from a good place Stok3d, but Gwaer is right, that the game a lot of HEX's functionality is modeled after always had limited block rotation playable until that limited block rotated out of the 3 block constructed format (out of print).

The timing of this eventually being implemented into the game is not now, and the implementation should come with fair warning, as yes, it will have an impact on the economy. The playerbase that will benefit from this change now are not looking at the full picture.

It's really going to come down to the three things I mentioned earlier: Timing, Interval, and Right Way(linked to queue saturation/playerbase)

Cut it any way you like Gwaer. The fact of the matter is that rotating these sets in will destroy collection values and be a HUGE turnoff for so many of us that have invested a small fortune into this game. Please consider that people play this game for a variety of reasons. Some of us are willing to invest money into this game as they understand the game is incredibly fun, realize the game's potential, while appreciating the fundamentals of supply and demand. Those same people are also some it's most long standing and loyal customers. Injecting the sets back in that only the earliest backers drafted could be seen as a stab in the back to those who financially supported getting this game launched...

The way it generally works in MTG in my experience is that with limited print runs of sets, after the set has cycled out of standard, it becomes increasingly expensive (and/or impossible) due to scarcity of packs to draft it. However, up until it rotates out of standard, it was a common thing at my LGS to draft whatever set people were hankering to draft. This is what i'd like to see from HXE in hex. Make a cut-off point at which the set goes "out of print" -- after that point, you can't buy packs from the in game store, and what's out there in supply is what there is to work with. This step is what would absolutely maintain values of collections. Until the set is no longer purchase-able from the in-game store, though, it just seems arbitrary to not allow it to be drafted in-game.

I strongly disagree with your stance that past sets should not be draftable at all. When this game is released out of beta, I think that it is very much in its best interest to have drafts ready and playable for new players who have not played hex yet. To not do so would impose an insanely high barrier of entry on new players while also limiting their ability to play with the cards in the original set. And these new players are the ones who are playing the game as soon as it releases...not merely people who are "late to the party".

Even more to the point, i have tons of set 1 packs I'm sitting on just for the day when I can get a group of people together and we can draft whatever packs we decide to draft, since theoretically they're our packs. If I want to get a group of people and draft 1-5-11 privately amongst the rest of us we should be able to do that.
    ----
    http://i.imgur.com/I1MZpF8.png
    HexEnt is too long to type, They're HXE now.
    I am currently trading my unused GK code for a new Tesla Model S P85D
    Feel free to contact me for where you can have it shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwaer View Post
    Even more to the point, i have tons of set 1 packs I'm sitting on just for the day when I can get a group of people together and we can draft whatever packs we decide to draft, since theoretically they're our packs. If I want to get a group of people and draft 1-5-11 privately amongst the rest of us we should be able to do that.
    Yea, I think this is really the fundamental point. This is true freedom that Cory has stated he wants Hex to have, just like any other TCG, but implementing that fully would actually take a good bit of coding; in-acting a couple more rotating queues would not.

Some of the set 1 and 2 prices of cards right now are just silly for a game with $2(max) packs that are still very much in print... more than silly, its unhealthy and wouldn't exist in any other TCG. Allowing players to more wisely use their existing set 1 & 2 packs would not have a large effect on the economy in the long term; yes it would burst the artificial micro-bubble of pricing that is an unhealthy barrier to entry, but how could that possibly be bad for the game.

Actually, it would likely stimulate more pack purchase from the Hex Store. Explain to Cory how that is a bad thing.
    1x GK Keep - Dekroma

I can see right now that once a set goes out of print and certain card values spike the "high barrier of entry" mob will be right back.

I've heard a good number of people back in the day go on and on about how Alpha/Beta should be reprinted so that new players could get power nines without paying a king's ransom. Issue is, you do that once even and confidence goes right into the tubes. If they brought a set back into the spotlight after communicating a message that that set is gone from a certain format, what's stopping a surprise announcement that an out of print set might come back even for a limited time in the shop? It's really bad for confidence.

Let's say you spent 100k platinum some time 3 years into the future on a playset of Vampire King. Very next morning you wake up and find out set 1 is back in the store due to a special promotion and the price of VK got cut instantly in half. How would that make you feel?

Point is, you can't just do something drastic after communicating a certain level of understanding and be able to maintain confidence. Trust takes a long time to build and is very easily shattered.

Quote Originally Posted by Harwinne View Post
    I can see right now that once a set goes out of print and certain card values spike the "high barrier of entry" mob will be right back.

I've heard a good number of people back in the day go on and on about how Alpha/Beta should be reprinted so that new players could get power nines without paying a king's ransom. Issue is, you do that once even and confidence goes right into the tubes. If they brought a set back into the spotlight after communicating a message that that set is gone from a certain format, what's stopping a surprise announcement that an out of print set might come back even for a limited time in the shop? It's really bad for confidence.

Let's say you spent 100k platinum some time 3 years into the future on a playset of Vampire King. Very next morning you wake up and find out set 1 is back in the store due to a special promotion and the price of VK got cut instantly in half. How would that make you feel?

Point is, you can't just do something drastic after communicating a certain level of understanding and be able to maintain confidence. Trust takes a long time to build and is very easily shattered.
    Except they never said that earlier sets will never be draftable again? Except they haven't even officially committed to what the actual rotation schedule will be like or when they will even consider enacting one?

So are you talking about an unconfirmed hypothetical situation with a hypothetical response by a certain group of people? Or did I misread that.

Once a set goes out of print, it goes out of print. That's as simple as it is. Unfortunately, that conversation is completely irrelevant to the current situation seeing as there is nothing even close to out of print yet.

Shattering trust??? Color me baffled.
    1x GK Keep - Dekroma

He wasn't comparing apples to oranges, but hopefully he realized that with his post.
    I don't think we have much to worry about, there should be some form of set1 and set2 limited coming around by or during set4 implementation.. That's my guess, but I'm a little skeptical we will see it now, unless they do it as a way to keep people happy if PvE is not going to launch by year end.

Master of Gifs
    I vote for continuously rotating all in-print sets for drafts.