Page 17 of 57 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Issues with stream sniping

Quote Originally Posted by Tazelbain View Post
    The situation seems to be if you care about winning in the slightest, don't stream. That seems like a bad deal for the Hex in the long term.
    Or stream with a card shield in place, like most streamers do.
    -------
    "Surprise"

Quote Originally Posted by Hieronymous View Post
    Or stream with a card shield in place, like most streamers do.
    We both know that's not enough

Quote Originally Posted by infam0usne0 View Post
    Wrong, you have to actively seek out a stream to look at that persons hand. This likens it much more to getting up and walking around the table. You have to take an action to see the hand it is not just available to you.
    You have to sit there and think, oh hey, i don't want to play this game fairly i will go and look at my opponents hand.
    Oh, even if the cards are shoved in your face, you have to actively choose to keep your eyes open. Similarly if they're playing with their cards face up on the table you have to actively choose to look at those face-up cards. But end of the day if my opponent is choosing to play with cards face up, that's his choice.

A public stream is a public stream, it's not a private stream. You can't have your cake and eat it too, and that seems to be what you want; the attention of public streaming while also retaining your privacy. If that's what you want, either use a private streamer/host or use a card shield; don't use a public stream, and if you do use a public stream, use a card shield.

Like I said above -- "fame" has a price, even internet e-sports "fame." If you don't want to pay that price don't, it's entirely your call.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazelbain View Post
    We both know that's not enough
    It isn't?

I think I've watched a grand total of one stream once and in the one I watched a card shield seemed perfectly adequate. If there's some reason it isn't enough I'm happy to listen to explanations as to why. As I said above, I'm coming into this debate as someone who neither streams nor watches streams.
    Last edited by Hieronymous; 11-16-2015 at 09:59 AM.
    -------
    "Surprise"

Quote Originally Posted by Aradon View Post
    You absolutely can look at it in a vacuum. If you're caught cheating, saying, "He was cheating too" isn't going to get you out of trouble.

As for 'nothing can be done,' well one could assume that taking advantage of the twitch service in a way the player didn't intend could be construed as against the spirit of the tournament. If it breaks the rules, you could reasonable assume that your opponent will respect the rules of the tournament. You might not be able to prevent the violation, but you could expect consequences after the fact.
    My thing is that if one person is punished then so should the other person. I think it is bad for the game in the long term to punish people for twitch activity (except for screen sharing directly between opponents).

Like I said above -- "fame" has a price, even internet e-sports "fame." If you don't want to pay that price don't, it's entirely your call.
    Except in this circumstance, 1 person's fame, comes at the price of others too. Not just the stream sniper, but everyone else in the draft. There is a lot more information about decks/what was drafted that pertains to the success of someone in a draft, outside of their plays and card draw alone.

The better player is going to win out 90% of the time regardless, but the 10% matters.

This even applies to constructed tournaments, where some of the benefit of rounds before decklists are shared, is the unknown of what your opponent is playing, and them not knowing exactly what you are playing. This is not limited to streaming, but also the ability to chat or message their previous opponents for info...

Master Theorycrafter
    remember when Hex used to have the best community in gaming

good times

Oh, even if the cards are shoved in your face, you have to actively choose to keep your eyes open. Similarly if they're playing with their cards face up on the table you have to actively choose to look at those face-up cards. But end of the day if my opponent is choosing to play with cards face up, that's his choice.

A public stream is a public stream, it's not a private stream. You can't have your cake and eat it too, and that seems to be what you want; the attention of public streaming while also retaining your privacy. If that's what you want, either use a private streamer/host or use a card shield; don't use a public stream, and if you do use a public stream, use a card shield.
    You cannot absolve a person from doing something wrong by saying it was easy to do. I didn't shove anything in anyone's face, any opponent knows they shouldn't be looking at my hand. They chose to anyway.
    The fact that they could doesn't make it ok, they could have just played the game the way it was intended, they had to choose to open a browser, load up my stream and obtain the information.
    The fact is that i do run a public stream, and it is easy for people to look at my hand if they want to.
    But they shouldn't want to, it is not in the spirit of competition or the game to want to, wanting to is wanting to cheat. Doing so is cheating.
    The difference between this and having cards shoved in your face is that with stream sniping it is easier to not look. You still have to make an effort to see. You still have to want an unfair advantage and you still have to act upon that desire.

Quote Originally Posted by ryuukan View Post

good times
    Greed does that.

good times
    This issue was brought up by neo years ago, pretty sure there was a heavy thread about it years ago.

good times
    You can't blame the community for the medium used widely by many, to enjoy gaming, being exploited. This game just takes the cake in terms of how easily the information used to exploit is easily available, and perfectly easy to wait for as time ticks down.