Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally done with my custom HEX set, link inside!

Finally done with my custom HEX set, link inside!

So I've been working on this for the last month or two, and finally have a draft ready. Mostly a personal exercise as I love card game design and wanted to see what I could do with a digital space ruleset, but thoughts, comments and criticisms are welcome and appreciated The art was pulled from random places (mostly DeviantArt) to make it a little more interesting visually.

Cards - http://imgur.com/a/GYoxT

Created cards and extras (also present at the bottom of the main album, certain existing cards are created or referenced in the set too but those aren't included) - http://imgur.com/a/sSb7e

The set roughly mirrors the set skeleton structure/numbers of cards of Armies of Myth, and was designed to play nicely as a set as well as individual cards, but as a personal design exercise I didn't stick rigidly to the card/rarity/shard numbers. There are two custom keyworded mechanics, Scry and Kindred, and a few more unkeyworded themes and cycles. Many of the old mechanics return, but often just on a handful of cards, and there are cards to support old and new themes alike.

The set has been based off the actual HEX lore, too, and features cards for existing and new unique characters alike. I also extrapolated on parts of the lore in card concepting (for example, the Charsleepers, which are Necrotic who were partially burnt or cremated before they became Awakened and are shunned by the other Necrotic, and various new Primals and their Avatars).

To read the cards (as I had to use the Magic Set Editor to lay them out): the colors represent the shards (white = diamond, blue = sapphire, black = blood, red = ruby and green = wild), costs are in the bottom of the card, thresholds in the top right, and troop stats in the bottom right. For resources, the temp. and permanent resource numbers are in the bottom right also. Everything else should be easy enough.

Some really OP cards there lol <_< only just scrolled through quickly but exalt was there first one that jumped out as OP to me :P

Quote Originally Posted by havocattack View Post
    Some really OP cards there lol <_< only just scrolled through quickly but exalt was there first one that jumped out as OP to me :P
    It's certainly possible some of the cards would need balance tweaks; I'm a designer, not a developer, although I made my best guesses at costings and such.

Inspiring Muse is beyond broken.

I can already technically get t3 kills with Hopper Conversion, that card would enable it to crazy extremes. Off the top of my head, T1 Ritualist of the Spring Litter, T2 Muse, T3 Conversion + any decent hopper generation, and it snowballs like crazy. Even without the conversion you can ramp pretty heavily, even the charge power gets you to 5 with Ritualist and Muse.

I see a few interesting ideas, but clearly balance is not your area of expertise - if you felt like continuing your work some people might like to pitch in and help.
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png

Whitemane, Lord of the Herd

In a design space, I would remove "Other..." and remove the parenthesis "This includes Whitemane." When you state "Other" you are restricting and stating that "Other than this troop" this effect happens.

All in all the sentence should be the following to keep with consistency of the game:

While this is in play, each Buffalo troop gets +1/+1 for each Buffalo troop you control.

However, I'm not quite exactly sure if you mean "While this is play...". This card may need more clarification.

Battalion Captain

This card is broken. A 2-cost 3/3 with Lifedrain, Swiftstrike, and Steadfast? However, I see that adding the 3 Gilded Swordbreakers per turn may be a means to mitigate the power of this card. However, I can see this becoming super powerful with cards like Dream Dance. Always remember to look at previous cards when designing new ones. As a design question, why does this troop have Lifedrain? Is she secretly a vampire?

Courageous Lookout

Change text to be consistent with Hex:

1 Shot: 0 Cost - When you have 4 Health or less, if a Courageous Lookout is in your deck then reveal it. Put the revealed card into your hand and it gets +1/+1 and gains Lifedrain.

Once again in a design space, why does this troop gain Lifedrain? Secretly a vampire? I do know that cards such as Spearcliff Cloud Knight have Lifedrain, but CZE has done a poor job as to explaining why. I guess the reasoning is that they are currently holding a Diamond gem and that allows them to gain healing properties. This is where you would add flavor text to better inform the player as to why they are getting healing properties.

Dispelling Censerbearer

Very well designed card. However, I believe Censer Bearer are two different words, not combined. I'm just being nit picky here.

Dutious Socketer

Very innovative card. I really like this one, great job! Hex needs more cards that give more decisions to the game.

Moonmarked Brave

I'm not a fan of the random interactions in a competitive environment. Best case scenario you can get a free Noble Heart. This card can get out of hand quite quickly. I feel like this needs more tweaks. I know there are many other "Random" interactions that you have included into cards. I will refrain on commenting on each of these, but my opinion still stands. Sometimes it is fun to add more random to an already random game, but you are taking away options from the player and letting RNG decide the outcome of the game.

Sandbrood Rukh

Not sure if this card belongs in Diamond. This seems like a control card similar to Menacing Gralk. Mostly exhausting other troops is a mechanic specialized to the Sapphire shard.

Sister of Silence

Another greatly designed card. Once again, this card leaves many options on the table for both players.

Starblind

This is another card that belongs in Sapphire. Removing ATK is a feature that usually exists in Sapphire. Ex: Cripple and Fish Hands.

Tempestuous Wraith

Exhausting opposing troops belongs in Sapphire, see above.

Valiant Strike

Not only does this card totally destroy the effectiveness of Adrenaline Rush in Ruby, it also doesn't fit. Please try to reevaluate which shard a card belongs to.

I will look at the other cards later, but I feel like this was a good start. If you disagree with any of my thoughts, please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Piecetinker View Post
    Whitemane, Lord of the Herd

In a design space, I would remove "Other..." and remove the parenthesis "This includes Whitemane." When you state "Other" you are restricting and stating that "Other than this troop" this effect happens.

All in all the sentence should be the following to keep with consistency of the game:

While this is in play, each Buffalo troop gets +1/+1 for each Buffalo troop you control.

However, I'm not quite exactly sure if you mean "While this is play...". This card may need more clarification.
    So the idea for this is that if you have it and say a Rigid Buffalo in play, that Rigid Buffalo gets +1/+1 and Whitemane gets nothing. If you have two Rigid Buffalos, they both get +2/+2, and Whitemane still gets nothing (he never buffs himself, but he does count for the purposes of counting other Buffalos). The wordings for various things are not my strong point, so any corrections/improvements to them are welcome

Battalion Captain

This card is broken. A 2-cost 3/3 with Lifedrain, Swiftstrike, and Steadfast? However, I see that adding the 3 Gilded Swordbreakers per turn may be a means to mitigate the power of this card. However, I can see this becoming super powerful with cards like Dream Dance. Always remember to look at previous cards when designing new ones. As a design question, why does this troop have Lifedrain? Is she secretly a vampire?
    So this is me attempting to find a space where adding cards to your deck is a downside rather than an upside like it is with Ancestor's Chosen. You get a very strong 3/3 with multiple abilities up front, but every turn she's alive she adds three very weak cards to your deck which you could then draw. The Dream Dance interaction I see as a potential cool deck design rather than a negative, although it's possible the Captain herself needs costing/number tweaks; a lot of these cards are still in a state of conception of an idea or a mechanic.

As far as the Lifedrain thing goes, the cards were all made pretty much without art or names, and I just grabbed things that fitted. Sometimes it's resulted in weird keywords on troops, but personally I have no problems with some sort of holy human champion having lifedrain.

Courageous Lookout

Change text to be consistent with Hex:

1 Shot: 0 Cost - When you have 4 Health or less, if a Courageous Lookout is in your deck then reveal it. Put the revealed card into your hand and it gets +1/+1 and gains Lifedrain.

Once again in a design space, why does this troop gain Lifedrain? Secretly a vampire? I do know that cards such as Spearcliff Cloud Knight have Lifedrain, but CZE has done a poor job as to explaining why. I guess the reasoning is that they are currently holding a Diamond gem and that allows them to gain healing properties. This is where you would add flavor text to better inform the player as to why they are getting healing properties.
    Would that work from the deck automatically? Again, updated wordings are fully welcome. Lifedrain is once again present as a mechanical decision (helps dig you out of the Health deficit you're clearly in once you hit 4); sadly one quirk of using the Magic Set Editor to template the cards is that I didn't have anywhere to put flavor texts except on the vanilla troops, or more lore of these things would be explained (I have extrapolated from the HEX lore in places for card concepts).

Dispelling Censerbearer

Very well designed card. However, I believe Censer Bearer are two different words, not combined. I'm just being nit picky here.
    You're probably right there, but hey, fantasy and all that xD I'll change it though.

Moonmarked Brave

I'm not a fan of the random interactions in a competitive environment. Best case scenario you can get a free Noble Heart. This card can get out of hand quite quickly. I feel like this needs more tweaks. I know there are many other "Random" interactions that you have included into cards. I will refrain on commenting on each of these, but my opinion still stands. Sometimes it is fun to add more random to an already random game, but you are taking away options from the player and letting RNG decide the outcome of the game.
    Honestly, I'm a fan of playing with a certain level of randomness in a digital space, but you're right in that you need to be careful with it. Hearthstone manages its level of randomness quite well, and while it does so specifically to make for more casual, quick and easy-to-play games, I think there is some space for cool card designs with some randomness in HEX. If there's any that seem particularly egregious to you, please point them out.

Sandbrood Rukh

Not sure if this card belongs in Diamond. This seems like a control card similar to Menacing Gralk. Mostly exhausting other troops is a mechanic specialized to the Sapphire shard.
    There's likely going to be a few comments like this for certain cards. Essentially I'm playing with possible directions that shards can go; we've only seen three sets, and the shards will likely need to expand their mechanical space in the future. It's not totally unprecedented in Diamond (Wind Whisperer, for example), but most of these "oddball" effects will be a personal experimental choice on my part. Again, though, if there's any that seem particularly egregious to you please point them out

Starblind

This is another card that belongs in Sapphire. Removing ATK is a feature that usually exists in Sapphire. Ex: Cripple and Fish Hands.

Tempestuous Wraith

Exhausting opposing troops belongs in Sapphire, see above.
    More of the same experimental mechanic space for Diamond here.

Valiant Strike

Not only does this card totally destroy the effectiveness of Adrenaline Rush in Ruby, it also doesn't fit. Please try to reevaluate which shard a card belongs to.
    This one wasn't a conscious experimental choice. Granting Swiftstrike is perfectly Diamond, isn't it (Mettle, Exalted Victory, Deadeye Slicer)? As far as the Adrenaline Rush comparison goes, you're totally right in that it does invalidate Adrenaline Rush, but no-one was putting that card in any serious constructed deck, and it wouldn't exist in the same Limited environment, so I have no real problems with that kind of power creep.

I will look at the other cards later, but I feel like this was a good start. If you disagree with any of my thoughts, please let me know.
    Thanks again for your feedback, it's been very useful, and looking forward to hear your thoughts on the other cards!

Quote Originally Posted by AuraWarrior View Post
    It's certainly possible some of the cards would need balance tweaks; I'm a designer, not a developer, although I made my best guesses at costings and such.
    Designers would be the ones that decide costings and such not developers. Definitely some interesting cards in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenavire View Post
    Inspiring Muse is beyond broken.

I can already technically get t3 kills with Hopper Conversion, that card would enable it to crazy extremes. Off the top of my head, T1 Ritualist of the Spring Litter, T2 Muse, T3 Conversion + any decent hopper generation, and it snowballs like crazy. Even without the conversion you can ramp pretty heavily, even the charge power gets you to 5 with Ritualist and Muse.

I see a few interesting ideas, but clearly balance is not your area of expertise - if you felt like continuing your work some people might like to pitch in and help.
    You're right, although a lot of these cards are more "proof-of-concept" kinda deals at the moment, feeling out mechanical space. I welcome any and all balance suggestions, though

Quote Originally Posted by Xzaron View Post
    Designers would be the ones that decide costings and such not developers. Definitely some interesting cards in there.
    As far as I know, designers will provide an initial stab at costings, but ultimately development and playtesting would result in a final cost. Note that I'm not talking development in the traditional video-game/programming sense, and more the way that Magic talks about its development staff, which are still essentially designers and testers in the grand scheme of positions. I can understand why that's confusing though, and probably should have worded it better. Glad you found some of the cards interesting though!
    Last edited by AuraWarrior; 11-23-2015 at 09:43 AM.

A 3/3 with 3 highly desirable abilities for just 2 cost?

Sadly stopped reading there. . .
    I think your heart is in the right place, but balance is bit off. . .

Still will be good food for thought for Dev's; although I think they already have 7 sets done and will just need minor tweaks at this point

I think dreaming up the cards was one of the more easier parts for them

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumSquid View Post
    A 3/3 with 3 highly desirable abilities for just 2 cost?

Sadly stopped reading there. . .
    I think your heart is in the right place, but balance is bit off. . .

Still will be good food for thought for Dev's; although I think they already have 7 sets done and will just need minor tweaks at this point

I think dreaming up the cards was one of the more easier parts for them
    Well, on that specific card, the text you didn't read is a downside, so yeah, it might seem a bit overpowered xD (and maybe is even with the downside as of now). This was essentially an experimental personal design project, but I thought people might get a kick out of seeing the set I ended up with and be able to give me some useful, more HEX-specific feedback. There are certainly some rather out-there things in it perhaps compared to the baseline for the majority of cards currently in the game.