Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Sensei of the Wounded Petal
    Eeeee, he spoke to me!

Thanks!

Full disclosure, I haven't played the game and haven't read the rules :-)

Hello Mataio,

Senario 2 ( slimer situation) You have to up grade by 1 class a ghost in the spirit world when you roll a close gate...I was unlucky and get a lot of closed gate so I had to up grade after awhile all the classe 1 for class 2...but after that...I had to up grade the classe 2 for the manifestation of boogaloo but after that I was not able to upgrade the laste class 2 for a class 3, I had no more left. My question is do I lose the game or do I have to introduce the big big boogaloo and continue the game...I choose yesterday to lose the game. What is your thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Pace View Post
    Hello Mataio,

Senario 2 ( slimer situation) You have to up grade by 1 class a ghost in the spirit world when you roll a close gate...I was unlucky and get a lot of closed gate so I had to up grade after awhile all the classe 1 for class 2...but after that...I had to up grade the classe 2 for the manifestation of boogaloo but after that I was not able to upgrade the laste class 2 for a class 3, I had no more left. My question is do I lose the game or do I have to introduce the big big boogaloo and continue the game...I choose yesterday to lose the game. What is your thought.
    Hi Pace,

Wow, that's some luck! If you run out of Class 3 Boogaloo Manifestations to upgrade with, you'll need to bring in another Class 3 Ghost from the Kickstarter campaign, like the Librarian, or a Spectral Ghostbuster. If you are playing with only the retail version, you'll need to bring in Slimer at Class 5. The only lose condition is that you cannot bring in a Ghost from the Spirit World, so you are safe once you run out of Ghosts from outside the scenario.

Mataio Wilson
    Lead Design, Ghostbusters: The Board Game

I have a couple questions regarding the kickstarter bonus character Alexander. His level 2 ability states that he may take a free Combat Action against an adjacent Ghost. How does that interact with being slimed? I assume he can still take it even with two (or three) slime tokens on him, or am I wrong? Additionally, can he still take that bonus action and still remove slime from himself? Also, is his level 4 ability still be available when he is slimed? And when you move to the nearest space, do you ignore ghosts and obstacles, or can you get slimed passing through other ghosts to get there?

One question about Rookie. Does his level five ability lock out Egon's bonus XP option, since he wouldn't be able to have a final result of 1 if its given +1? Another thing, and maybe this is covered in the manual, but if you use Spengler's level 2 ability to reroll a miss, and the first roll was a 1, and the second roll is maybe a 2 and still resulting in a miss, can you take the first roll instead of the second for the bonus XP?

Is Venkman's level 2 ability optional? All other level 2 abilities generally say 'may' but the wording on Peter's ability doesn't really say one way or another if its optional.

When Peter is at level 5 (longer line of sight bonus), how does it interact with Ortiz's bonus XP condition? Do you actually have to be at maximum distance or can it be at 3 or 4 squares away?

Level 4 abilities can activate multiple times in a single turn provided the requirments are met, right?

Alright, that's it for now. Haven't had a chance to play this yet but it really looks like something I'm really going to love. I was looking for a more streamlined dungeon crawl-esque board game to play with my family, the fact that its based on my favorite movie/universe just makes it amazing!
    Last edited by The_Xavious; 12-03-2015 at 01:25 PM.

Question - what difference (if any) is there between a free action and a maneuver?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Xavious View Post
    I have a couple questions regarding the kickstarter bonus character Alexander. His level 2 ability states that he may take a free Combat Action against an adjacent Ghost. How does that interact with being slimed? I assume he can still take it even with two (or three) slime tokens on him, or am I wrong? Additionally, can he still take that bonus action and still remove slime from himself?
    Seeing as a fully slimed ghostbuster can still make a single maneuver, I'd say yes, you still have the free combat.

Also, is his level 4 ability still be available when he is slimed? And when you move to the nearest space, do you ignore ghosts and obstacles, or can you get slimed passing through other ghosts to get there?
    Yes, as all that is required is you hit a ghost. Second part not sure on, but IIRC you get slimed if a ghost moves through you, not if you move through a ghost.

One question about Rookie. Does his level five ability lock out Egon's bonus XP option, since he wouldn't be able to have a final result of 1 if its given +1?
    Only on subsequent shots in the same turn. So if Egon has three actions and rolls 1, 1, 1. Due to the Rookie it would be 1,2,2 and Egon gets 1 XP.

[QUOTE]Another thing, and maybe this is covered in the manual, but if you use Spengler's level 2 ability to reroll a miss, and the first roll was a 1, and the second roll is maybe a 2 and still resulting in a miss, can you take the first roll instead of the second for the bonus XP?[?QUOTE]
    This is covered in the rulebook. If you re-roll a 1, you do not get XP unless the second roll is a 1.

Is Venkman's level 2 ability optional? All other level 2 abilities generally say 'may' but the wording on Peter's ability doesn't really say one way or another if its optional.
    Apparently not, however, I don't think people play it as mandatory.

When Peter is at level 5 (longer line of sight bonus), how does it interact with Ortiz's bonus XP condition? Do you actually have to be at maximum distance or can it be at 3 or 4 squares away?
    She would have to be at maximum range which would now be 4 squares.

Level 4 abilities can activate multiple times in a single turn provided the requirments are met, right?
    Correct.

Hi Xavious,

Thanks for the insightful questions.

"I have a couple questions regarding the kickstarter bonus character Alexander. His level 2 ability states that he may take a free Combat Action against an adjacent Ghost.
    -Alexander can use his Level 2 ability even when completely Slimed.

"Additionally, can he still take that bonus action and still remove slime from himself? "
    -No, Alexander must forfeit all Actions to remove one Slime token from himself, just like any other Ghostbuster. His free Combat Action is still considered an Action.

"Also, is his level 4 ability still be available when he is slimed?"
    -If Alexander was able to take a shot, then got Slimed because of it, he may still move with his Level 4 ability.

"And when you move to the nearest space, do you ignore ghosts and obstacles, or can you get slimed passing through other ghosts to get there?"
    -Alexander is still moving and must find a path; he is not teleporting around obstacles. Ghostbusters cannot move through Ghosts, so they cannot be Slimed in this manner.

"One question about Rookie. Does his level five ability lock out Egon's bonus XP option, since he wouldn't be able to have a final result of 1 if its given +1?"
    -Yes, if this ability causes Egon’s Combat Roll to change from 1 to 2, Egon does not get an XP from his Level 1 ability. This is covered on page 17 of the Operations and Field Manual.

"Another thing, and maybe this is covered in the manual, but if you use Spengler's level 2 ability to reroll a miss, and the first roll was a 1, and the second roll is maybe a 2 and still resulting in a miss, can you take the first roll instead of the second for the bonus XP?"
    -No, the end result is a 2 in this case and Egon would not be granted the bonus XP. This is also covered on page 17 of the Operations and Field Manual.

"Is Venkman's level 2 ability optional? All other level 2 abilities generally say 'may' but the wording on Peter's ability doesn't really say one way or another if its optional."
    -This should read as a "may" ability, you are correct.

"When Peter is at level 5 (longer line of sight bonus), how does it interact with Ortiz's bonus XP condition? Do you actually have to be at maximum distance or can it be at 3 or 4 squares away?"
    -Yes, Ortiz would now need to be at 4 spaces to gain the bonus XP.

"Level 4 abilities can activate multiple times in a single turn provided the requirments are met, right?"
    -Yes. If you trigger the requirements, you have earned the reward from your Level 4 ability.

Hope you and your family enjoy the game! Keep your questions coming!

Mataio Wilson
    Lead Design, Ghostbusters: The Board Game

Thanks for the answers!

I have a few more questions.

For Janine's level 4 ability to trip, I assume it requires that you hit it before hand, so weak one stream ghosts do not activate her ability? Additionally, can that ability (and the Rookie's level 4) chain off itself? Suppose there are three class 2 ghosts in range of her and she hit all of them once before, she lands a hit on one of them, her ability lets her hit a second one, and can she then hit the third as another bonus action?

For Alexander's level 4, is there a limit to how far he could move? Suppose he hit a ghost in line of sight, but the only path not obstructed by ghosts or obstacles would require him to take 8 or so squares to move around everything to get into position, would that be against the spirit of the rule? I would sort of assume it's intended to be a quick dash into position rather than a leisurely stroll, so I would think no more squares than what he's normally allowed in a move action.
    Last edited by The_Xavious; 12-04-2015 at 01:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Xavious View Post
    Thanks for the answers!

I have a few more questions.

For Janine's level 4 ability to trip, I assume it requires that you hit it before hand, so weak one stream ghosts do not activate her ability? Additionally, can that ability (and the Rookie's level 4) chain off itself? Suppose there are three class 2 ghosts in range of her and she hit all of them once before, she lands a hit on one of them, her ability lets her hit a second one, and can she then hit the third as another bonus action?
    You can't have streams on different targets. The manual says, when you have streams on a target and then fire at a different target, you loose all streams you had on that first target. So, no this ability can't chain!
    Last edited by Skyknight; 12-04-2015 at 03:15 AM.

Ooh, right. Rookie's ability is pretty much the same, but with someone else's stream. I think he had to have a stream on it before, but I don't remember the wording.