Thread: FIX: Hex Crashes after Unity 5 update

FIX: Hex Crashes after Unity 5 update

Hello Everyone!

My name is Ansgar and I am really loving HEX so far. Unfortunately for me I stumbled upon a problem after the HEX update where they started using Unity 5 (some weeks ago). HEX started crashing on me every now and then. It could happen from every 5 minutes to once every hour.

If you have watched my stream lately, you've seen the ape go mad over this as well.

It turns out there might be a fix to this, as it might be related to the Unity engine. After some research I got a hold of something called DEP (Data enforced protection) in Windows based systems. DEP is generally there to protect users from viruses, in forms of not letting the virus meddle to much with the active programs. It turns out that some games based on Unity keeps crashing for people due to this function.

I found a guide on how to remove it on Windows 10 based systems and decided to make a guide here for people who might have the same issue as I had. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK AS IT IS A FUNCTION IN WINDOWS THAT IS TRYING TO PROTECT YOU FROM VIRUSES AND MALWARE. IF YOU UNDERSTAND THIS AND ACCEPT THE CONSEQUENSES THIS MIGHT LEAD TO THEN, GO AHED.
    Follow the steps below:

1. Click your start menu and type in CMD (Might be another wording for people with other languages) and right click to get "run as administartor" function. Command Prompt with administrative rights for those with other languages.
    2. Type in the following command:
    bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff
    3. If everything went great, it should say:
    The opperation completed successfully.
    4. Do a restart of your PC and hopefully see your problems disappear. You might want to run HEX with administrative rights just to be sure.

IF THIS DID NOT WORK FOR YOU AND THE COMMAND WAS NOT SUCCESSFULL - THIS IS DUE TO THE SECURE BOOT FUNCTION IN WINDOWS BEING ENABLED

Unfortunately, I did not have a system to try to disable the secure boot function on. I would suggest for you to google a guide on how to do this in order to get a successfull command.

I hope this helped some of you !

Kind regards,
    Ansgar

Master Theorycrafter
    Hmm. I've been getting crashes every time a draft tries to go to deckbuilding, or when trying to enter sealed gauntlet, is that related perhaps? I'm not certain I want to turn off virus protection, but I do get 5 minutes less to build my decks bare minimum every draft (not to mention risk it not coming back at all, in the event that the client crashes from something else), and it's just plain annoying on top of that. I don't even know if it's the same issue. Hmm.
    IGN: Legan

The problem you are describing is maybe related to your API.ini file that is custom made for the hex.tcgbrowser sync?

My issue is that it really crashes, for no reason what so ever.

You have to really really want to run hex to turn off DEP.

Where did you read this? All the unity DEP problems I see online are to stop the unity editor itself from crashing, not games made in unity.

I got an error message from windows that lead me to search up where the origin to it was. I came across the DEP function and gave it a try to turn it off.

This fixed the crashes to not happen as frequently as before, but the crashes till appear.

Quote Originally Posted by Flairina View Post
    Hmm. I've been getting crashes every time a draft tries to go to deckbuilding, or when trying to enter sealed gauntlet, is that related perhaps? I'm not certain I want to turn off virus protection, but I do get 5 minutes less to build my decks bare minimum every draft (not to mention risk it not coming back at all, in the event that the client crashes from something else), and it's just plain annoying on top of that. I don't even know if it's the same issue. Hmm.
    I've been having the exact same issue for a while now.

Master Theorycrafter
    The issue I had before, the crash upon entering draft, has stopped- but now I'm getting crashes when Hex tries to load deckbuilding after having done it more than a couple times before. This happens EVERY draft in at least one sideboarding attempt, and occasionally when trying to just plain edit decks when you're switching windows. I think the memory bug that occurred early in AOM is back- I sent a ticket in about this and was told it was a known issue, so hopefully this will be gone soon.
    IGN: Legan

I experience also crashes. Probably since the unity update but i am not sure. There are not so frequently, but maybe once every 1-3 arena runs. (not related to arena, just to measure how often that happens).

I don't have recognized a pattern, but it seems to happen often when i click and i am under the impression, it happens more frequently, if i click multiple times, e.g. fast clicking before resolve button appears to resolve.

I added an entry from the event log and the corresponding report.wer
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by dbug; 01-15-2016 at 04:42 AM.

Creator of shareyourdraft.com / Forum thread IGN: dBug Twitch: dBug404