Thread: Losing the Game

Losing the Game

So, is it true that it's essentially impossible to lose the game after all of the gates are closed? This wouldn't be so strange as part of a campaign because you can always get more XP. But if you're playing a single scenario, such as Slimer Sticks Around (which I'm playing right now), what's the point of trapping Slimer if you can't lose the game at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieBobUSA View Post
    So, is it true that it's essentially impossible to lose the game after all of the gates are closed? This wouldn't be so strange as part of a campaign because you can always get more XP. But if you're playing a single scenario, such as Slimer Sticks Around (which I'm playing right now), what's the point of trapping Slimer if you can't lose the game at this point?
    Hi ZombieBobUSA,

That's a great question. After the Gates are closed, no Ghosts can enter the map. This leaves you to deal with just Slimer in a 4 on 1 battle. But, no, you cannot meet the lose condition after the Gates are closed.

In hindsight, the Closed Gates during the Event Die roll should have triggered a possible lose condition. In earlier testing of this scenario, we tried having a Ghost emerge from the Ghostbuster nearest the rolled Closed Gate, but it distracted from the fight and in certain situations, caused a lose of line of sight with Slimer when they had Streams on him. This caused a lot of grief and slowed down the fight. But, in retrospect, we were so wrapped up in keeping the battle elegant, we neutered the lose condition, which detracted the interaction you have with the challenge of the game.

Perhaps a solution would be to also remove a Ghost from the Spirit World when rolling a Closed Gate during the Event Die phase, then causing a lose if you have no Ghost to remove, creating a count down timer.

Thanks for rooting this bug out and bringing it to our attention. We'll do a more thorough job of keeping our games challenging because of it.

Mataio Wilson
    Lead Design, Ghostbusters: The Board Game

That sounds like a good idea! Do you think that the lower class Ghosts should be removed first in that situation, or the higher class Ghosts? I'm going to play using that stipulation to test it out. If it works well, perhaps you should make the rule change "Cryptozoic Official" ;-)

That sounds like a good idea! Do you think that the lower class Ghosts should be removed first in that situation, or the higher class Ghosts? I'm going to play using that stipulation to test it out. If it works well, perhaps you should make the rule change "Cryptozoic Official" ;-)
    Hi again,

I'd go with the lowest Class Ghost. It's thematic with when a Ghost emerges.

Based on your feedback, I'll errata it on the site to make it "Cryptozoic Official"

Mataio Wilson

Played with removing the lowest class Ghost in the Spirit World from the scenario when a closed gate is rolled. Actually, it was a lot of fun! At one point, I was trying to close the last Gate while there were NO GHOSTS REMAINING in the Spirit World! I knew that I had to close it that turn or else risk a game over. Was able to close the gate in the nick of time, sending the remaining Ghosts back into the Spirit World. The scenario ended with Peter, Ray, and Egon teaming up to trap Slimer (poor Winston was too busy being slimed by the gates to participate).

Sensei of the Wounded Petal
    This is an interesting point.

If anything it sparks my interest more in scenarios without gates, and re-defining how to lose.

Played with removing the lowest class Ghost in the Spirit World from the scenario when a closed gate is rolled. Actually, it was a lot of fun! At one point, I was trying to close the last Gate while there were NO GHOSTS REMAINING in the Spirit World! I knew that I had to close it that turn or else risk a game over. Was able to close the gate in the nick of time, sending the remaining Ghosts back into the Spirit World. The scenario ended with Peter, Ray, and Egon teaming up to trap Slimer (poor Winston was too busy being slimed by the gates to participate).
    Awesome! That's the sweet spot I'm looking for.

Mataio Wilson

Speaking of, when will the errata be released?

And how will it be released?

Quote Originally Posted by Werechicken View Post
    Speaking of, when will the errata be released?

And how will it be released?
    The date evolves with new items brought to light. It will be *soon. You will find it as a forum post along with other compiled errata.

*soon is relative to the work load and approaching American holiday schedule.

Mataio Wilson

Mataio,
    It's fine, I'm not looking for a specific dates. Merely curious.

If you guys need it typed up in a PDF or whatever, let us know.