Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I have 400 No-Spin Common Chests...

The Transcended
    P2W only applies to the alpha strategies. So, we could pin that on Slaughtergear perhaps, but even then you have to be very careful what definition of "pay to win" you're using since strictly speaking Slaughtergear (along with everything else mechanical in the game except for the RL bonus) can be purchased with enough F2P grinding. In Hex, there is definitely going to be a "time or money" ("pay or play") aspect to everything and that is entirely unavoidable due to having a real economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lafoote View Post
    Since they can't practically be obtained via chests, they are the much maligned pay to win!
    There is no such thing as pay to winin PvE, for the simple reason that there is no win. And even if you consider going 20-0 in the Arena winning, the Slaughtergears are absolutely not necessary for that.

Devoted Emissary
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoss View Post
    P2W only applies to the alpha strategies. So, we could pin that on Slaughtergear perhaps, but even then you have to be very careful what definition of "pay to win" you're using since strictly speaking Slaughtergear (along with everything else mechanical in the game except for the RL bonus) can be purchased with enough F2P grinding. In Hex, there is definitely going to be a "time or money" ("pay or play") aspect to everything and that is entirely unavoidable due to having a real economy.
    Theoretically you are right, but practically... no. I'm playing as a free player since April, and I have hundereds of arena runs, and I still don't consider the Slaughtergears as realistically obtainable by grinding. A single Replicator would cost about 35-40 complete 15-0 runs in the Arena. This extreme time investment to get something is exactly why we call many MMO pay to win. And considering how aggressively unfun Arena is... well let's say, it's not something that 99% of free players would do to get a few card.

Of course, F2P players can adapt, and ignore entirely such content as much as they can.

BTW, once we get raids I think most F2P players won't be in the same league compared to those with full playsets of power-cards, including KS exclusives.

They promised you that you can play the PvE game for free. They never said you can get all the cool expensive toys for free. If the ultra expensive card become needed to play to game, then we have a problem. Until then it, it's overpriced junk for 1%ers which is part of how Hex pays for giving away so much game for free.

I gave a playset slaughters to my partner every time i look dinos are being played because "almost as fast but much more fun"
    Member of The Unnamed Council - the Hex TCG PvE Guild
    Twice as nice as i seem and ten times as friendly.