Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Naagaan + new life total = auto-loss for Zared

Naagaan + new life total = auto-loss for Zared

Title says it all. Paladin of Naagaan beginning the game with massive + life advantage is a nearly insurmountable obstacle for the few champions starting under 20. If you don't have removal in hand to start, you lose in 4 turns. Even with removal, on turn 6 you better have ADDITIONAL removal, or you lose.

I'm not sure what the answer is. It seems as though his charge power might need adjustment to 4 charges to even things out a bit. On the flip side, that may make him too easy for the few heroes with life starting over 21. Perhaps adjusting his power to half the damage difference might be a better option. Then it's still good, but not obscene.

Maybe it is best just to leave it alone, but that makes a few champs essentially unable to complete arena with perfect runs with any consistency whatsoever.
    PvE Hex - At long last!

After having a few more minutes for consideration, perhaps the heroes with the sub 20 life totals might just need a buff to their charge powers to compensate. Either a reduction in cost, or a slight increase to the functionality may offset the disadvantage a bit. In reality, if everyone believed the heroes were more or less in balance when they all had the same life, then it stands to reason any hero below 20 currently is underpowered. It won't necessarily help in the Naagaan encounter, but it certainly won't hurt.
    PvE Hex - At long last!

I agree that I think the hp rebalance was imbalancing, since they were theoretically balanced at 20. I also think that Naagaan got a major buff against most of the preferred champions with this update. On the other hand, it's just one of many encounters that strongly encourages you to play good removal of some sort. He usually flops over dead if you can kill the troop he's about to buff (though sometimes he has some runaway games regardless.)
    In-game: Obsidian || Collector backer || Starting a guild for Newbies -- "The Cerulea Acadamy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Aradon View Post
    Cory is a man of unrelenting promises and optimism!

Gigantisaur
    Since 70% of champs were never ever played competitively, I wouldn't agree they were all balanced at 20. They were there to offer a full variety of flavor play styles, but some were undeniably better than most others.

Nagaan is brutal now with a low hp champ, but it's hardly the end of the world. You can still build a deck to beat him, or just know you'll likely lose without some luck. Just like warbot or xarlox or a bunch of other options

Naagaan is just as much of a pushover as he always was for literally any blood deck that is built correctly. I have a deck that has used Bunoshi since before set 3 came out, and it is clearing at roughly the same rate as it always has, even with less health.

As for the bulk of the other shards - they were generally meant to have trouble against Naagaan (especially Ruby.) If you are playing Zared, you should be running a few removal standard, and even pre-change you should have been running a few lifedrainers

Here is a legit tip though - lethal troops, especially Mosquito (equipped) make Naagaan a cakewalk.

One last thing - the champs were balanced for PvP. Not every champ is meant to be great in arena, and not every opponent is going to be easy.
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png

I've beaten him with 17 health heroes . . . makes the fight much more threatening for sure, but he's not impossible

You need to remember that purple has lots of cheap removal and lethal cards

Gigantisaur
    I guess the other thing is that arena probably wasn't designed with the new champion HP totals in mind.
    Arena is arena, something of a placeholder, for me at least. Once PvE hits, I'd be surprised if anyone even touches the frost ring. (I guess new players may go there if the loot tables for arena remain tied to it exclusively.)

I think Frost Ring will remain a pretty good (and reliable) gold per hour farm compared to the other, more complicated content. People might go back to it when they just want some spare gold.
    In-game: Obsidian || Collector backer || Starting a guild for Newbies -- "The Cerulea Acadamy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Aradon View Post
    Cory is a man of unrelenting promises and optimism!

I have had no problem beating him with 20 and under health... Been using an Orc Aggro deck.

Infernal Professor
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio989 View Post
    I have had no problem beating him with 20 and under health... Been using an Orc Aggro deck.
    But that's one of the faster decks, doing 3 damage is pretty easy for an Orc Aggro deck. I've always felt that Paladin of Nagaan's charge power was too cheap.

He was an obnoxious opponent before the life totals change, and there should have been at least some minor consideration given to the balance of a Paladin of Nagaan starting with 21 health and players starting with potentially less. I've beaten 20hp Paladin of Nagaan down to 1hp and watched him play three Eternal Youth in a row and exceed my life total and bolster his Paladin of the Necropolis for an eventual comeback.