Proton rolls with d8?

Hi everybody!
    I love the game! I played through the three regular campaigns and the Sedgewick Scramble campaign yet, all one-player mode style. I'm looking forward to have my gaming group around next month for a whole weekend of ghostbusting. Still, I have a question to discuss, so here goes:

I gotta admit, I'm not a genius tactitian. I beat the first two or three easy scenarios with no prob, but then the Slimer Situation boss fight seemed something like undoable for me. I tried it three times with no chance in hell. Then skipped the scenario and restarted with the next campaign. In the Idulnas campaign, I ran into the same problem: These scenarios are pretty tough! After losing almost every single one, I tended to become kinda frustrated. I mean, time is sorta of the essence in most scenarios and every move seems to count, with no ghostbuster turn to waste (which is really cool) – but since you need a 4+ on a d6 to hit most of the Ghosts and Gates, the characters miss more or less every second shot! That seems kinda harsh in many scenarios, especially since there is no game mechanic for rerolls or bonus points (if you don't play Spengler, and even his reroll ability only goes so far).

Perhaps I just need to wait for the help of my buddy players to solve these scenarios with additional brain power. But I have several friends who can get frustrated pretty quickly if they have a hard times with board games (kinda like me).
    So, my idea to fix the scenario difficulty was this: The Ghostbusters roll d8 instead of d6. Sorta feels like cheating, but actually worked out pretty nice for me, since the fun returned immediately! (Actually I think it's a little elegant even, since you use a d8 for PKE rolls as well.)

People who are very good with strategy can laugh now! D8s make a rather easy game in order to keep the kids happy. But, question: What did I overlook? The overall challenge aside, are there any mechanics that might be screwed up with the d8 method?

First of all, what about character balance? Spengler will level up slower, since the chances for him to roll a 1 are reduced with a bigger die type. For example, Venkman and Griffin on the other hand, will
    have an easier time, since they get to do cool stuff at certain levels which requires them to roll a 6+, which will be much easier to achieve with a d8 (...too easy?)

Thanks folks!
    Last edited by Tschanark; 12-30-2015 at 03:46 PM.

From my experience, Egon's level 1 ability never really affected his rate of leveling significantly. When I was playing, he was landing hits every turn and trapping almost every turn, causing him to reach level 5 before anyone. I think you are underestimating his reroll ability, but out of curiosity, what was your team setup? It seems to me that Ray and Egon are the real power houses that you don't want to give up.

As far as side effects from changing up the dice, I rhink you pretty much covered it. Different characters will shift around in power/usefullness but I don't think much more would happen.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Xavious View Post
    From my experience, Egon's level 1 ability never really affected his rate of leveling significantly. When I was playing, he was landing hits every turn and trapping almost every turn, causing him to reach level 5 before anyone. I think you are underestimating his reroll ability, but out of curiosity, what was your team setup? It seems to me that Ray and Egon are the real power houses that you don't want to give up.

As far as side effects from changing up the dice, I rhink you pretty much covered it. Different characters will shift around in power/usefullness but I don't think much more would happen.
    I agree that the reroll ability makes him the best shooter in the game (with Griffin a close second). But he's the only one to have rerolls, so shooting at ANYTHING kinda made me shiver in some scenarios!
    My setup for the first campaign was classically Venkman, Stantz, Spengler & Zeddemore, who made it through everything pretty good (hooray for Winston!) – except the super-tricky Slimer boss stage.
    My team for the Idulnas campaign were Zeddemore, Spengler, Melnitz, Griffin & Rookie. (I added a fifth Ghostbuster trying to kinda even the odds.) Even though they performed quite well they still got their butts kicked practically all the time...
    I invented the d8 proton roll thingie in the middle of the Stay Puft campaign with Zeddemore, Stantz, Melnitz, Griffin, & Rookie. All of a sudden, the game mechanics worked great for me – even though it stayed really close at some points.

I think all board games thrive on house rules. In your case, it feels like this gives you a chance to practice the strategy and progress. If you can beat everything with d8's, upgrade to d6's and give it another shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Meankeb View Post
    I think all board games thrive on house rules. In your case, it feels like this gives you a chance to practice the strategy and progress. If you can beat everything with d8's, upgrade to d6's and give it another shot.
    Yeah, I think you're right. My thought is, if I show the game to friends and offer the d8 house rule (since they are even less practiced in the strategies), are there any character-specific rules that would set off the balance? Is it unfair that Kylie Griffin gets extra XP more regularly than normal and Egon Spengler gets a little less than normal? On the other hand, should we care about this anyway? The extra XP-gaining abilities seem to differ quite a bit anyway. The Zeddemore player has to work a little for the extra XP and use his or her brain to get them, while the Melnitz player gets showered in extra XP since it's very easy to just go hunting for Class 1 Ghosts and get 2 XP for every catch.

My advice would be to not over-think it. Dice rolls are a means to XP gain, but the game is about completing the scenarios. Yes, you will have imbalanced abilities, but it is much less impactful than increasing your catch percentage for 3+ rolls (from 50% to 75%) and from the 4+ rolls (from 50% to 62.5%). After you've beat everything using your d8's, if it seems like too big of a power drop going straight to d6's, maybe start your XP tracker at an increased point.

Yeah, the level 1 Bonus XP isn't equal across the board for the characters to begin with. Egon's level 2 tends to get him more XP than his level 1, Rookie's bonus XP can shoot up like crazy without taking an entire turn dedicated to combat, Ray can get the XP without depending on a die roll.

I think Kylie will be taking a much bigger jump in power (particularly her level 5) while most other characters will go up about the same. With the amount of rerolls Egon gets anyways, I doubt his XP gain will lower at all when you factor in even higher success rates (rerolling d8s gives you an even greater success rate than with d6s). In the end I would only worry about it if it starts to affect how much fun you have.

If you want a nice middle ground for proton rolls, maybe try it with d6s and bump it up to d8 when you are attacking a ghost with another character's stream on it. Promotes team work, making the first hit tough but throwing more capture streams on it makes it harder to dodge new streams.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Xavious View Post
    If you want a nice middle ground for proton rolls, maybe try it with d6s and bump it up to d8 when you are attacking a ghost with another character's stream on it. Promotes team work, making the first hit tough but throwing more capture streams on it makes it harder to dodge new streams.
    I think that's a really cool idea! Kinda seems to capture the feel of the scenes in the movies when they catch ghosts, for example in the legendary Slimer scene: If the ghost got hit once, it more or less stays in place and is easier to hit from then on. Only thing is, it makes things a little more complex, which is no prob for experienced gamers, but might be a challenge at first for the casual-gamer-types. (The ones who tend to get glassy eyes when you explain things for too long, you know these, right? Some of my friends are a little like that.)

Perhaps I'll just offer the groups I'm going to play with some variants of the house rule and see what they like best or if they just want to play the game with d6s.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. You could simplify it to use the bigger die whenever there is any proton stream already on it, or stick with just d6s and reduce the To Hit value by one if the requirements are met.

There's a couple ways you can approach it, but I think its all in how you explain it.

"First attack against any ghost is with a d6, but if you are attacking a ghost that already has a (or someone else's) stream on it, roll a d8 instead."